• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minor removal of Self-Sustenance from Spider-Man, Iron Man, Super Dog and other characters

ImmortalDread

Call me Dread
Username Only
VS Battles
Retired
I am not enthusiastic about creating a CRT for basic knowledge like this, but whatever. From what I heard in this speech, here are some points that readers should note:

Character profiles:​

According to this, every human being is able to survive without oxygen because we have clothes or a helmet that can supply oxygen in space (which makes no sense). All characters above require oxygen to breathe. This is not fitting in our standard guidelines.

I will give an easier comparison, so you understand why I want to remove them if I now have a lighter, do I get fire manipulation? Obviously not.

For new visitors, this is our current definition of type 1 self-sustenance:
Type 1: Respiratory Self-Sustenance: The ability to live indefinitely without oxygen (or whatever substance that the creature's species breathes). This includes surviving in the vacuum of space or in the depths of an ocean. This may provide resistance to certain gas-based toxins.
For members and OGs, I will be explaining in complicated terms why they do not qualify, since many of you seem to be a misunderstanding:
It's not a question of whether their suits are standard equipment or not. Self-Sustenance is not necessary for people who always have oxygen on them; it's for people who don't need oxygen.

And once again, Self-Sustenance is for indefinite amounts of time, not 74 Hours, and then I need to refill my tanks.
Self-Sustenance on paper means indefinite propagation without the essential nutrition and/or processes.

Last edited:
There are plenty of other characters who get self-sustenance for having suits or equipment that allow them to breathe in space so I may be wrong but I don't particularly see how that makes these wrong to have either

I do see the conversation with Propellus as well but I honestly don't know that this is particular a wrong thing from what I've seen so i'll wait for more input because I'm curious to see the answer but more likely than not thier self sustenance is applicable since say samus, dead space, or any other space suit wearing characters who can operate in space have self sustenance

There are plenty of other characters who get self-sustenance for having suits or equipment that allow them to breathe in space so I may be wrong but I don't particularly see how that makes these wrong to have either

I do see the conversation with Propellus as well but I honestly don't know that this is particular a wrong thing from what I've seen so i'll wait for more input because I'm curious to see the answer but more likely than not thier self sustenance is applicable since say samus, dead space, or any other space suit wearing characters who can operate in space have self sustenance
How? Without any offence, if having clothes or space helmet gives you this ability, then every human being including you and me have the ability? Does it rly makes sense for u?

Why would this ever be Self-Sustenance? This is completely antithetical to Self-Sustenance, in fact, seeing as how the characters still require oxygen to survive.
Exactly. I actually wondered why the characters got it. It is somehow basic common sense, lol.

It is completely unfair against characters like Saitama, they have been shown they could breathe in the universe. We could not give him the ability until the fight against Garou.

How? Without any offence, if having clothes or space helmet gives you this ability, then every human being including you and me have the ability? Does it rly makes sense for u?
I honestly have no idea how I mean I can only assume for whatever means allowing them to breathe in space however seeing samus's hers has the extra ability to allow her to stay in water indefinitely so she had psuedo self sustenance but the dead space guy just has it for breathing through his suit lol

I honestly have no idea how I mean I can only assume for whatever means allowing them to breathe in space however seeing samus's hers has the extra ability to allow her to stay in water indefinitely so she had psuedo self sustenance but the dead space guy just has it for breathing through his suit lol
thats not rly an ability.... in 2050 we will have clothes as oxygen supply, so nothing here is considered as an ability.

thats not rly an ability.... in 2050 we will have clothes as oxygen supply, so nothing here is considered as an ability.
I mean then add it to the list it's not like I'm defending it, as I said prior I'm curious to see as well since there are people who have it through the means I said above

I mean then add it to the list it's not like I'm defending it, as I said prior I'm curious to see as well since there are people who have it through the means I said above
mind giving me the link of profile. I will add it.

I will have to say that was a bit rude of you to just come into my wall like that and just simply tell me to remove an ability without providing any proper reasoning, you could've just asked. Please never do that again. But anyways...

Honestly, it would actually make sense if we made a new type for Self-Sustenance for how we treat Underwater Breathing but with gear. But however, I'm slightly neutral on completely removing this from them as this would imply that they would eventually still start suffocating in Outer Space when their suit clearly shows that this isn't the case. But then again, this is like saying we can't have abilities through certain equipment.

Last edited:
I agree. The page clearly states that it is the ability to survive an indefinite time without oxygen, actually the characters listed by the OP clearly need oxygen to survive, so if you simply removed the oxygen from the elements that provide them they would simply die.
Thanks for the honest opinion, tho! This is my total point!

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Samus_Aran_(Legendary_Suit)

This being the justification for each
pseudo-Self-Sustenance (Type 1, capable of emerging herself underwater for an indefinite period of time, stated to have oxygen supply equipment and additional infrared vision within her suit in the Super Metroid Manual)

I think 'Psuedo' self sustenance or 'Via Equipment' works fine here tbh, it's fairly normal to grant abilities gained through equipment.

I think 'Psuedo' self sustenance or 'Via Equipment' works fine here tbh, it's fairly normal to grant abilities gained through equipment.
Naw, makes no sense. The users still require oxygen to live. This is not an ability. It is something like me, and you can do that.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Samus_Aran_(Legendary_Suit)

This being the justification for each

I will be adding them in my OP. Thanks for help.

Naw, makes no sense. The users still require oxygen to live. This is not an ability. It is something like me, and you can do that.
Then again, so what? We literally got many other abilities that can be applied to normal humans as with their equipment which was accepted by our standards.

Then again, so what? We literally got many other abilities that can be applied to normal humans as with their equipment which was accepted by our standards.
so if I have a lighter in my hand, do I get fire manipulation?

so if I have a lighter in my hand, do I get fire manipulation?
Could still work as minor fire manipulation. Hell, fire manip is viable for character who utilizes a flamethrower for a weapon. So I'm not really seeing your point here.

Could still work as minor fire manipulation. Hell, fire manip is viable for character who utilizes a flamethrower for a weapon. So I'm not really seeing your point here.
Brother, when someone has a space helmet to survive in space, it is clearly not self-sustenance. This is completely antithetical to Self-Sustenance.
In fact, those characters still require oxygen to survive.

Saitama did not even get self-sustenance ability when he was holding his nose in space. He only gets it in the fight against Garou. I don't see your point in anything.

Anyways, I got two staff members' approval. I will be removing the abilities from the profiles.

Brother, when someone has a space helmet to survive in space, it is clearly not self-sustenance. This is completely antithetical to Self-Sustenance.
In fact, those characters still require oxygen to survive.
You're literally suggesting to remove an ability from these characters without replacing anything that would actually make sense for them to survive in space. That still implies that they would still suffocate in the debris in space despite having something that allows to them to breathe in space. Now this is the part where things don't really make sense here.

You're literally suggesting to remove an ability from these characters without replacing anything that would actually make sense for them to survive in space. That still implies that they would still suffocate in the debris in space despite having something that allows to them to breathe in space. Now this is the part where things don't really make sense here.
Those can be added to his optional equipment and not as an ability.

Anyways agree with the CRT, having a supply of oxygen that lets you breathe in space is NOT the same as not needing oxygen, thus being able to breathe in space. Only the latter is self-sustenance
Thanks for your input!

I think listing it as self-sustenance is fine I don't care to debate it but if you wanna remove it please at least list it as underwater breathing type 3

Ah so it makes no sense that we use a standard you don't agree with? If your equipment grants you the ability to exist without oxygen despite still requiring it it's completely fine.

This is complete semantics.

Back