• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Absolute Zero Feats in Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe so, although we don't really know what happens when temperatures actually go below absolute zero.

It's similar to the topic of lightspeed and asking what would happen if we surpassed it.

Based on what Reppu said, it is likely that below absolute zero may just ignore durability altogether, although I would like to know more about Hyoga's absolute zero attack as well as Blossom's.

Is it even possible speaking from a science standpoint to reach the absolute zero? If I remember correctly, it's an asymptote, meaning it will infinitely try to reach the AZ without ever reaching it.

Lina Shields said:
I believe so, although we don't really know what happens when temperatures actually go below absolute zero.
It's similar to the topic of lightspeed and asking what would happen if we surpassed it.

Based on what Reppu said, it is likely that below absolute zero may just ignore durability altogether, although I would like to know more about Hyoga's absolute zero attack as well as Blossom's.
Yes we can, and we do every day, when we use lasers. Basicly, it would be hotter than any positive temperature, and a lot of other science stuff. Just don't think it's an infinite sourse of heat, it's still finite (and usually REALLY small), it just can heat up everything

How interesting to see how negative temperature goes with reverse on the postive temperature. The negative temperature in theory become even warmer than it is supposedly "cold."

Seems pretty legitimate. I looked up the official description and it didn't mention Absolute Zero, but I'm assuming that this instantly kills all non-boss enemies?

It's usually dependent on the user's power strength in-game, but for the most part yes, HP is a game mechanic and it wouldn't make any sense if say a character was set on fire or frozen that the effects would only stay active for a few seconds. Especially when said abilities are strong enough to simply shatter the enemies with no signs of blood flow or can turn people to ash.

@Talonmask

It's alright to me then.

@HokageMangaVox

Apparently, Invel's Absolute Ice Divine Raiment could qualify since it's shown the subsequent effects (freezing virtually anything on contact, causing it to gradually crack and fall to pieces).

However, it seems to work terribly slowly, but that could be attributed to Gray's natural resistance to Ice along with his Ice-Make Magic.

Reppuzan said:
@Talonmask

It's alright to me then.

@HokageMangaVox

Apparently, Invel's Absolute Ice Divine Raiment could qualify since it's shown the subsequent effects (freezing virtually anything on contact, causing it to gradually crack and fall to pieces).

However, it seems to work terribly slowly, but that could be attributed to Gray's natural resistance to Ice along with his Ice-Make Magic.
Basically an assumption.

Now I don't have the time currently to work on such a page or figure out all necessary specifications. (and if this thread is supposed to go somewhere I would advise to not derail it with example cases)

But here my opinion on a few things:
Since I don't think absolute zero can clearly be demonstrated visually, but only through very specific description that the attack is stated to be absolute zero or something equivalent should be a necessary requirement.
Aside from that this is a bit difficult. For the most part I would think it might be good to just follow the Statements article page on this.
Fast freezing is something all coldness attacks have and is not very supportive, because of that.
Superconductivity shows that it at the very least is very cold, but not necessarily absolute zero. That is still a supportive property though.

But aside from that? For the most part we could only have certain quantum mechanical effects (like superconductivity) that only happen when something is very cold or quiet specific things like liquid helium show itself.
In other words if we really require supportive properties like on lightning or lasers I have the feeling that we will not have many cases actually fulfilling those.

So I would actually not require supportive properties, but just believeable statements.

One can of course list things which disprove it being absolute zero. Though in fiction where everything can potentially just also resist the ability this is hard to do, not to mention that in some regards fiction authors also just don't know all properties so that some not being superconductive, even if it should be, is not that great of an argument either.

ScarletFirefly said:
Is it even possible speaking from a science standpoint to reach the absolute zero? If I remember correctly, it's an asymptote, meaning it will infinitely try to reach the AZ without ever reaching it.
You are correct. The 3rd law of thermodynamics states that "it's impossible to reduce the entropy of a thermodynamic system in a finite number of steps", at the point where the entropy becomes zero you then end up with a temperature of absolute zero

Yojimbo1989 said:
ScarletFirefly said:
You are correct. The 3rd law of thermodynamics states that "it's impossible to reduce the entropy of a thermodynamic system in a finite number of steps", at the point where the entropy becomes zero you then end up with a temperature of absolute zero
However, this is fiction we're talking about where the laws of science are broken on a day-by-day basis, and some fictions enjoy breaking them just for ***** and giggles.

Reppuzan said:
Anyways, some things indicative of Absolute Zero:
1) Being explicitly mentioned to reach Absolute Zero.

2) Freezing the very atoms of the targets.

3) Stopping all energy flow.

4) Targets quickly fall to pieces after being frozen.
hitsugaya adult bankai has this, except for the mentioning of it being absolute zero,

and rukia was mentioned but it was her body and she was moving while in absolute zero or so..

@GreatestSin

It doesn't say Absolute Zero, but it does say, "freeze all matter". Not to mention the fact that Hyorinmaru is supposed to be the strongest Ice-type Zanpakuto, so its freezing should be just as if not more potent than Sode no Shirayuki's.

i dont think we can compare them since both base their powers on different aspects, hyorin on ice and sode on cold, but either way, does that mean we say both are absolute zero?

rukias version surely makes no sense :/

@reppu If it freezes all matter, does that actually mean it reaches absolute zero? because a temperature that is cold enough to make solid the thing with the lowest freezing point would also be able to freeze everything else since freezing is just making a substance become solid

That is a good point, but it depends on how you take "all matter".

In the scenario you mentioned, it certainly wouldn't qualify for absolute zero, even if it comes close.

However, if by "all matter" it means, "everything down to the very atoms of the victim", then it would.

So then the question becomes do those two's freezing show properties of Absolute 0, so do they because I don't really know those characters

^reppuzan already mentioned them:

1) Being explicitly mentioned to reach Absolute Zero.

2) Freezing the very atoms of the targets.

3) Stopping all energy flow.

4) Targets quickly fall to pieces after being frozen.

aside from the first point i think the other 3 are possible, and this is why i mentioned hitsugaya, his full bankai showed all 3 of this points, but sode is more in the realms of "fiction absolute zero" than real one, afterall it has frozen that fear-quincy in a split second and it stopped its energy/fear attack because of the users own body becoming totally frozen but she was still moving and talking, so i dont think we can say sode has absolute zero :/

So, is anybody interested in writing such a page based on all of the above?

HokageMangaVox said:
It was mention that Sode temperature is -273.15, and that it was absolute zero + the properties were there.
but the pure feat of moving her body and basically existing already makes it fictional, it can have absolute zero temperatures but it doesnt need to have the properties of it (which mostlikely means that it wont be counted as absolute zero, the same with blackholes, it is stated to be one but without the needed properties it wont be accepted :/ )

GreatestSin said:
HokageMangaVox said:
It was mention that Sode temperature is -273.15, and that it was absolute zero + the properties were there.
but the pure feat of moving her body and basically existing already makes it fictional, it can have absolute zero temperatures but it doesnt need to have the properties of it (which mostlikely means that it wont be counted as absolute zero, the same with blackholes, it is stated to be one but without the needed properties it wont be accepted :/ )
When did she move at all in bankai? Last time checked she didn't.....

GreatestSin said:
HokageMangaVox said:
According to you then every character that uses absolute zero is fictional and it wont be accepted as absolute zero because they can move, then was the point of making a page like that? I've to remind you that her body is frozen and dead in order to use it and move, by controlling her reishi.

HokageMangaVox said:
GreatestSin said:
HokageMangaVox said:
According to you then every character that uses absolute zero is fictional and it wont be accepted as absolute zero because they can move, then was the point of making a page like that? I've to remind you that her body is frozen and dead in order to use it and move, by controlling her reishi.
^^Basically this...

@Reppu

Seems good. Just two things:

1. When you write O K it looks like a capital ok. Maybe it would be better to write it as 0K, or 0 Kelvin. Small thing anyway.

2. The superconductivity part. It should be explained briefly what superconductive properties are (zero electrical resistance and expulsion of magnetic fields) and it should be noted that while some elements reach superconductive properties very close to 0K, there are other elements like MgB2, that display superconductive properties at a much higher temperature of 39K.

Also agree with ^Peter. Some examples may make it easier to understand how it works.

Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back