• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About speed feats with weapons

I wouldn't say "automatically", just because you can telekinetically launch something at Supersonic speed, doesn't mean you can react to Supersonic attacks.
Hyper specific case that doesn't happen in fiction.

And we pretty much scale speed to thrown objects.

And pretty sure Cricket bowlers can react to their own fast bowling.
So even in reality...it is a thing.

Hyper specific case that doesn't happen in fiction.

And we pretty much scale speed to thrown objects.

And pretty sure Cricket bowlers can react to their own fast bowling.
So even in reality...it is a thing.
Also true.

Sometimes.

Distance needs to be taken into account, but I'm not a bowler so I wouldn't know.

DDM agreed with me and DemonGod, so put him up for disagreeing

Armorchompy also disagreed with the OP's changes being implemented

I suppose lean towards agree, but only in the sense that we really should look into this more. Nuking these kinds of feats is clearly out of the question.

It’s not just big gain, small gain. There’s a lot of variables.

Also, I strongly doubt this will actually affect something like thousands of pages. One off the top of my head is Seven Deadly Sins, but the characters have landed on the tips of blades and few characters use large weapons.

My take (I showed up even if I said I didn't want to):

This should be case-by-case. If characters can react to the weapon's speed, such as by parrying it or something, it should scale to speed. If a defense can't be made for it, then I'd say it is a fair criticism. However, as this thread seems to aim to ban all of such clauses, place me in the "against" category. In most situations these feats are fine.

But this isn't about those kinds of feats. This is more of an issue in some calculations, such as making a large amount of slashes at once.
This is to address these calculations, and make their values more accurate, rather than it being a general thing with weapons.

But this isn't about those kinds of feats. This is more of an issue in some calculations, such as making a large amount of slashes at once.
This is to address these calculations, and make their values more accurate, rather than it being a general thing with weapons.
"Large amount of slashes at once" is where all forms of normalcy go beyond the window. One way or another you'll end up rotating your weapon separately and independently from arm movement. This much is a given.

Also parrying a weapon should NOT scale to the weapon's speed.
Otherwise, literally any person that can parry a sword strike would have Superhuman speed.

Also parrying a weapon should NOT scale to the weapon's speed.
Otherwise, literally any person that can parry a sword strike would have Superhuman speed.
Uhhhhhhh, again, humans do have Superhuman combat speed in most forms of combat.

So then why...is Human speed so low, especially if "Speed" normally refers to combat speed, as it explicitly states on the page?

So by your explanation, and what "Speed" is normally referred to...
Quite a few humans would have Superhuman combat speed, which you know...is higher than Peak Human, which LITERALLY DEFINED AS THE UPPER LIMIT OF HUMAN CAPABILITY.

"The term "Speed" normally refers to Combat Speed."
And the Speed page focuses on the peak of human Movement Speed, IE Usain Bolt. Superhuman is about how fast a Cheetah or top speed normal car moves. People can strike and react at Superhuman speed.

So by your explanation, and what "Speed" is normally referred to...
Quite a few humans would have Superhuman combat speed, which you know...if higher than Peak Human, which LITERALLY DEFINED AS THE UPPER LIMIT OF HUMAN CAPABILITY.
Here the term "Speed" as DaReaperMan said, is normally used for movement speed (travel speed, running speed, that sort of thing), then we have combat speed which measures your capability to attack. Reactions is... well... reactions. To see how fast your mind can react to the surrounding environment around you. Usually combat speed and reactions go hand-in-hand together and sometimes Reactions can straight-up be faster than combat speeds. Just ask Spidey.

the tip of a weapon doesn't get to the end destination any faster, but if anybody were to dodge the tip of the weapon without having a lot of room then they probably would scale? Idk, my biggest problem with speed is that reactions are measured in speed, not the reaction TIME but....that's an entirely different argument for another time.
Anyways I don't really agree with the original post but this stuff hurts my brain a bit so I'm not gonna vote for it or anything
Not here it doesn't. This is basically devolving into borderline semantics.
yeah that is semantics dude

And the Speed page focuses on the peak of human Movement Speed, IE Usain Bolt. Superhuman is about how fast a Cheetah or top speed normal car moves. People can strike and react at Superhuman speed.
To be fair Usain Bolt's short-burst sprint does exceed the 12.51 m/s border for Peak Human speed, but it's in short bursts so it doesn't fully apply I guess.

So the quote "The term "Speed" normally refers to Combat Speed.", probably has to be changed then on the Speed page if that is the case.

Still...this goes beyond Peak Human, which is the upper limit of what humans are capable of...so why, is Superhuman speed possible in real life? As it is contradictory to what "peak human" and "superhuman" mean.

the tip of a weapon doesn't get to the end destination any faster, but if anybody were to dodge the tip of the weapon without having a lot of room then they probably would scale? Idk, my biggest problem with speed is that reactions are measured in speed, not the reaction TIME but....that's an entirely different argument for another time.
Anyways I don't really agree with the original post but this stuff hurts my brain a bit so I'm not gonna vote for it or anything

yeah that is semantics dude
Yeah I've seen Reaction timeframes not being used and rather it only being scaled to combat speed. Though to be honest, their Reaction times would prolly skyrocket if we could actually use the calculated timeframes for it but I guess it depends on how much they can move their body in that timeframe.

So the quote "The term "Speed" normally refers to Combat Speed.", probably has to be changed then on the Speed page if that is the case.

Still...this goes beyond Peak Human, which is the upper limit of what humans are capable of...so why, is Superhuman speed possible in real life? As it is contradictory to what "peak human" and "superhuman" mean.
Prolly because humans can't maintain these "Superhuman" speed values for long periods of time like most animals and can only use it in short bursts.

And yeah, if the quote is written like that it prolly needs to be changed.

EDIT 2: NVM found it.

I would agree with OP, I find difficult to believe that, if a guy with a claymore kept up with a guy with a dagger, the moment the first guy start using a dagger as well (assuming its proficiency with the daggers equals to proficiency with the claymore) will start to by surpassed by the other guy. Independently of the other guy's angular speed, the opponent have exactly the same amount of time to react.

Prolly because humans can't maintain these "Superhuman" speed values for long periods of time like most animals and can only use it in short bursts.

And yeah, if the quote is written like that it prolly needs to be changed.
Ahem...boxers have Superhuman combat speed, which they are literally throwing hands at each other, and dodging blows for quite a while. Yeah, I don't buy that argument.

Ahem...boxers have Superhuman combat speed, which they are literally throwing hands at each other, and dodging blows for quite a while. Yeah, I don't buy that argument.
Try doing that multiple times at the same duration as a cheetah, at top speed, like with EDIT- speed bags.

I would agree with OP, I find difficult to believe that, if a guy with a claymore kept up with a guy with a dagger, the moment the first guy start using a dagger as well (assuming its proficiency with the daggers equals to proficiency with the claymore) will start to by surpassed by the other guy. Independently of the other guy's angular speed, the opponent have exactly the same amount of time to react.
That's because the dagger is lighter and smaller? The difference would go away if the guy could move a claymore like a small dagger with ease.

That's because the dagger is lighter and smaller? The difference would go away if the guy could move a claymore like a small dagger with ease.
So, how about if they are magic weapons with no mass?
That argument is then disregarded as it requires practically no strength to wield them

So, how about if they are magic weapons with no mass?
That argument is then disregarded as it requires practically no strength to wield them
Then the Claymore would be about as useless as an unloaded gun, Claymores rely on their weight to deal massive chopping damage. Also hyperspecific example.

Try doing that multiple times at the same duration as a cheetah, at top speed, like with EDIT- speed bags.
Also, cheetahs can only sprint for around 20 to 30 seconds long.
In a boxing match, rounds last around three minutes, which is 6x - 9x longer than a cheetah can run without exhausting itself.

Back