• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About speed feats with weapons

So, if someone has a galaxy-sized blade extension, does that mean they are now MFTL+?
I don't think so, as explained by EliminatorVenom "As long as you move at similar speeds to the arms of the person who is attacking, not the weapon in itself.
Unless we're talking an insane anime that probably has feats on that level anyway, i REALLY ****** doubt any galaxy-sized blades are coming around.

Unless we're talking an insane anime that probably has feats on that level anyway, i REALLY ****** doubt any galaxy-sized blades are coming around.
Gurren Lagann: HI

Oh wait, even in that case the wielders of the blade are at least proportionally the same size as the blade so nah.

Where the christ is there a 10 meter sword in fiction not wieled by a giant? Would make ****** Sephiroth blush.

So, if someone has a galaxy-sized blade extension, does that mean they are now MFTL+?
to be fair, probably

at that point, there's probably some physics principles that matter here when they don't on the relatively small scope we usually talk about

besides, such characters at that point have other speed feats

And, it does so in unison with your arm. Look up the Optimus Prime example I just brought up. Which is absolutely going to happen if you're doing flashy 180 degree cuts with your entire arm level with the blade.
Idk much about Transformers, so I don't know what is the size proportion here nor the circumstances, so this might be a dumb thing of me to say but...

Like, yeah, it moves alongside your arm, but I don't get why it makes valid the speed inflation from a large weapon?

to be fair, probably

at that point, there's probably some physics principles that matter here when they don't on the relatively small scope we usually talk about

besides, such characters at that point have other speed feats

Idk much about Transformers, so I don't know what is the size proportion here nor the circumstances, so this might be a dumb thing of me to say but...

Like, yeah, it moves alongside your arm, but I don't get why it makes valid the speed inflation from a large weapon?
Because the weapon is now an extension of your forearm? It's not as if the weapon is gonna dwarf you in size like that unless it's a bo staff but even the longest odachi and zweihander won't even get to the 4 meter mark.

And here we are talking about galaxy-sized blades from a 1.7 m tall human. Could you even get arc length from that kinda size?

Because the weapon is now an extension of your forearm? It's not as if the weapon is gonna dwarf you in size like that unless it's a bo staff but even the longest odachi and zweihander won't even get to the 4 meter mark.

And here we are talking about galaxy-sized blades from a 1.7 m tall human. Could you even get arc length from that kinda size?
Oh, I get it now.

I'm fine with arm-blades who are an extension of the forearm. Swinging a sword with proper form, however, does not do that, simply because the higher speed of swords come from not only the angular speed (so a perfectly straight, pointed forwards sword would really have the same speed of a human fist higher because it offers way less resistance to air but eh) but also lever mechanics. The mere act of grabbing something and swinging makes it have a different speed than something who is in the exact same position, but affixed to the arm.

Not really, as that would be a difference of 60,333.2 light-years, which equals more than 150% of the weapon length overall.

I feel like I should have an "agree/neutral/disagree" at the top of the post-
Yeah, I'm neutral, honestly I can see both sides' points, which is why I can argue them, but unless your a bat shit crazy verse on the par Homestuck or Gurran Lagann I really doubt we're getting galaxy sized swords, or even ones 10 meters tall not used by a giant of some kind.

Oh, I get it now.

I'm fine with arm-blades who are an extension of the forearm. Swinging a sword with proper form, however, does not do that, simply because the higher speed of swords come from not only the angular speed (so a perfectly straight, pointed forwards sword would really have the same speed of a human fist higher because it offers way less resistance to air but eh) but also lever mechanics. The mere act of grabbing something and swinging makes it have a different speed than something who is in the exact same position, but affixed to the arm.
I don't see the difference tho.

One example is having a blade attached to your arm, the other is just you holding the blade, both situations have the blade pointing in the same direction, lined up perfectly with your forearm.

Not really, as that would be a difference of 60,333.2 light-years, which equals more than 150% of the weapon length overall.
Again, at this point you're just better off calc'ing the straight-line distance the blade moved and then using cinematic timeframe to get the speed.

Because...the longer the radius, the larger the arc length is.
Meaning, it would travel more distance in the same amount of time; hence a greater speed.
However, its the same amount of time, so all parts of the radius hit at the same time, which includes the arm.

Meaning, it would travel more distance in the same amount of time; hence a greater speed.
However, its the same amount of time, so all parts of the radius hit at the same time, which includes the arm.
Timeframe really shouldn't matter when it's the tip of the blade we need to be wary about, especially if you're mere inches from it or you view it in slow-mo or can change its trajectory in any other direction mid-attack.

I don't see the difference tho.

One example is having a blade attached to your arm, the other is just you holding the blade, both situations have the blade pointing in the same direction, lined up perfectly with your forearm.
Lever mechanics. The hand is the fulcrum, the sword is the lever. With something that is an extension of the forearm, the leverage is very reduced as it is all part of one same thing.

This too.

Doesn't matter if it is the tip of the sword or the base of the blade.
All parts hit at the same time.
No they do not. The edge of a sword, if straight is generally going to have more cutting or chopping power depending on the weight of the blade, and the tip is more for piercing damage, similar to an arrow.

I mean from Wielders perspective the arc will apear like a straight line, mostly react to it to.

And people who dodge can most likely also react to linear velocity of tip.

Doesn't matter if it is the tip of the sword or the base of the blade.
All parts hit at the same time.
Again, hitting at the same time wouldn't matter when it's the speed of the tip of the object we're dealing with.

By your logic, one wouldn't scale to it even if they were blatantly faster than the sword or even if they saw it in slow mo or just changed the attack's trajectory mid-way.

No they do not. The edge of a sword, if straight is generally going to have more cutting or chopping power depending on the weight of the blade, and the tip is more for piercing damage, similar to an arrow.
Totally forgot about the mass of a sword also being at play.

Wait, how would the mass of the sword change the fact that all parts would hit the same place?

I know swords (generally) taper and are thinner towards the point, but that still doesn't change the fact, at the end of an angle, they all hit the same point at the same time.

Wait, how would the mass of the sword change the fact that all parts would hit the same place?

I know swords (generally) taper and are thinner towards the point, but that still doesn't change the fact, at the end of an angle, they all hit the same point at the same time.
Depending on the curve of a blade, not quite. If it's angled like a Katana the tip will hit later the the general blade.

Which would make it even slower of a feat to dodge the tip of a katana, or a scimitar, or any other curved sword than a straight sword.

Correct, if someone backed up from a Katana slash, they'd probably be able to hopefully dodge it easier, however, that does NOT apply to straight sword nearly as much, as their tips are the only angled part of the blade. You'd have to consider how fast the arm was moving for sword calcs, not the blade unless it's fancy blade work that doesn't rely on the Arm's movement.

Correct, if someone backed up from a Katana slash, they'd probably be able to hopefully dodge it easier, however, that does NOT apply to straight sword nearly as much, as their tips are the only angled part of the blade. You'd have to consider how fast the arm was moving for sword calcs, not the blade unless it's fancy blade work that doesn't rely on the Arm's movement.
Or if it was an extension of your lower arm like a forearm blade strapped on or you just holding your sword like that in a straight line.

That's scaling attack speed to the sword, which wouldn't apply to the combat speed of the user as they are independent from each other.
That is like saying a normal person's combat speed scales to a bullet they fired.

If they react to it and can strike those who can react to it and proceed to swat it out of the air or otherwise move for it that would be cause for scaling their combat speeds to the floating sword.

Honestly I'm kinda stoked I get to talk about something I'm kind of knowledgeable on for calculations lol

Back