• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About speed feats with weapons

Being specific? Yes, but to reach the most accurate outcome, you need to consider every possible example.

If people do this shit below, they scale to the sword swings

Or this:

Or this:

Have fun convincing people that this wouldn't scale to anyone when dudes like Dante can casually perceive their weapons in slow-mo, control their weapon's trajectory mid-flight, swap weapons outright mid-attack and then perform sick crazy dance moves right after just to piss on their enemies with style.

Last edited:
Being specific? Yes, but to reach the most accurate outcome, you need to consider every possible example.
No, Occam's Razor dictates you go with the simplest and most logical outcome. Being uber-specific like this is gonna get you nowhere.

Lightsabers exist, as well as many other kinds of energy-blades, so there are possible examples.
Okay and? You're still being hyper-specific about it.

Plus what DaReaperMan said. Lightsabers are the last thing you'd expect to follow the laws of physics.

No, Occam's Razor dictates you go with the simplest and most logican outcome. Being uber-specific like this is gonna get you nowhere.
That's not what Occam's Razor is. What it describes is that the outcome with the least amount of assumptions is most likely to be true.
Occam's Razor is more of a truth/false scenario, rather than what this is about.

If people do this shit below, they scale to the sword swings

Also this is the exact kind of situation I was talking about, where the blade is outright straightly aligned with the limb. Except in my case I use the arm, whereas Erza here uses her leg.

Majority of fiction portrays stuff like this.

However, as this thread seems to aim to ban all of such clauses, place me in the "against" category. In most situations these feats are fine.
No, this is NOT what this is about. This has nothing to do with banning or nuking these types of feats.
Instead, it is just removing a specific variable in these calculations, not getting rid of them altogether, the calc will still exist.

Moreover, there are times where it is okay to scale characters to the weapon speed; such as if they are explicitly shown to move faster than the weapon itself, such as in slow motion a character moving faster away than the weapon is approaching them.

No, this is NOT what this is about. This has nothing to do with banning or nuking these types of feats.
Instead, it is just removing a specific variable in these calculations, not getting rid of them altogether.
Even though the specific variable should be perfectly okay to use in the situations I and DemonGod just mentioned.

Yes, but should not always apply. Especially in slower verses or verses with realism.
That depends on whether the verses actually show them that way. Simply stating "slower verses" or "verses with realism" doesn't give us a crystal clear description.

Like DemonGod said, case-by-case basis. If you have a problem with a sword moving calc, bring it up in its own thread. As it stands on its own right now however, I can't bring myself to accept the current OP.

That depends on whether the verses actually show them that way. Simply stating "slower verses" or "verses with realism" doesn't give us a crystal clear description.

Like DemonGod said, case-by-case basis. If you have a problem with a sword moving calc, bring it up in its own thread.
More like 12 calcs I have a problem with, minimal.

Also it'll heavily depend on the position of the blade and whether the blade was moved separately from the arm movement. Because there are instances where the character moves the blade first independently and then moves their limbs later.

And sometimes there's situations where they move the blade simultaneously with their limbs (Like rotating a sword and their upper arm 90 degrees simultaneously at the same time to assume a blocking stance, in that case we can't use the sword's length for movement and we have to stick with limb movement instead). In moments like these, you need to take a lot of factors like these into account.

Last edited:
Anyway, I don't think Bambu is likely to change his mind regardless so I'd put him up as a "Disagree".

You are still free to consider me as a disagree, yes. I was at work.

Back