• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Mythological Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys, guys, Cherubs (the living creatures) are inhuman creatures, seriously read the Ezequiel description so i found it fitting if a Serapth was inhuman looking.

Can we stop arguing about what angels look like? People are wasting their time doing just that for 2000 years and haven't reached any conclusion.

Also, this is derailing the point of the thread, so stop talking as if PL is accepted.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Can we stop arguing about what angels look like? People are wasting their time doing just that for 2000 years and haven't reached any conclusion.
Also, this is derailing the point of the thread, so stop talking as if PL is accepted.
a hundred apologies, you are right that is not the point. so, Paradise Lost is NOT going to have profiles of their characters?

Yes, Jainism is practically metaphysics. But there is a discipline to it, but Tsubaki will say otherwise.

well, i still stand that PL's Lucifer should be created, but i promise you that if the matter is resolved by a no...i will let it rest, i like it or no.

What would the profile even be for? The Tao? That's like making a profile for The Force.

Taoist Mythology is A-Okay, tho. Jade Emperor, Guan-Yi, Nezha, Sun Wukong...

I think that Matthew is much better suited to making a decision regarding this matter.

That said, technically we do feature various other "fanfiction versions" of Christian religious figures, such as Jesus and YHWH, so perhaps Lucifer of Paradise Lost might be acceptable as well. I do not think that there would be much point to the profile, however.

Of course, as an agnostic, to me all religion is fiction, but nevertheless, lots of people take it extremely seriously.

Well said. Even as a Buddhist, I see nothing wrong or offensive about a profile for the Buddha. However some others (most won't even be Buddhists I assure you), will simply wank someome is supposed to be an influential teacher and try to make him Tier 0 without any real justification and that, to me (as a Buddhist) would be far more insulting than making a profile for the Buddha based off our Tiering System (which would be fair and not insulting at all).

Not to mention, there is a vs forums in our wiki. Who is to stop people from making spite threads just to upset someone of another faith? For example a Hindu putting Jesus up against Vishnu just to say "ha ha, my religion is "stronger than yours'". It is way too controversial and would be hectic and a hassle for our staff to deal with. We already have to moderate those wanking, downplaying, or making controversial threads about their favorite characters vs characters they dislike just to spite others.

Absolutely. We have to think about the safety of our community.

Agreed.

Modern Mainstream Religions shouldn't have profiles. Granted, nothing is stopping you for making Personal Profiles for X or Y deity on Google.Docs, if you want it so much.

Yeah what Matt said. One can actually just do this on Google Docs if they want (especially to you, Tsubaki~). Doesn't have to be on the actual wikia here itself.

And yeah as Ant said, it's definitely best or at least better to avoid controversy. I don't want to either get constant complaints or death threats from people online or worse. I have enough stress here and there to deal with, and death threats from people who still take stuff like this very seriously (though it "maybe" reasonable of why i guess?) is the last thing i want to deal with. Mom's not gonna like hearing her son have that in his life. Nope.

That aside, we can as Matt listed earlier, do the ones that aren't practiced much today in our modern times. Those look like a good enough bunch to make for here.

And as Antvasima has stated, it's not about offending or not offending people.

It's about portraying something that to many is immeasurable, all-powerful and very much real as fictional, measurable and beatable. I'm an Atheist, though my family is Christian, and I can say from experience that attempting to discuss things like the "Omnipotence Paradox" with most believers will take you nowhere, on both ends.

Hell, when talking about offending, Shin Megami Tensei probably takes the cake for managing to be offensive to literally all major religions by portraying numerous famous figures from their myths and legends as arrogant psychopaths. From YHVH, to Krishna, Maitreya, and deities from all manner of mythology.

But Shin Megami Tensei is unquestionably fictional, and religions are not, due to so many believing in them. That's the difference.

Yes. We should probably close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back