• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A problem I have with the current rules on religion / mythology tiering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as it stands now, scaling a major religion such as Christianity or Islam is banned. Now I have a few problems with this for many reasons, and I feel like it needs some discussion. First of all through and through it's a double standard. We tier Greek and Norse Mythology which were their own religions, and still are (Norse Mythology is actually making a come back in recent years). Now why is that? What makes Greek and Norse myth any less of a religion than something like Christianity? They are all mythologies, and the christian text has scalable texts just as any other mythology has.

People might make the argument "Well Christianity is a religion more people believe in than other myths like Greek and Norse." Well that argument is a fallacy of it's own right. We work to give accurate tiering and scaling, not appeal to the opinions of the masses for the sake of it. That'd be like making Saitama Tier 0 since people believe he's all powerful. And again, popularity doesn't make it any more of a religion than other mythologies.

People might flock towards this thread and say something like "Well this religion is real", not going to comment on whether the religion itself is true or not, but even if that is the case, people believed all their respective mythologies were real at some point (And some still think so actually), and even so, we tier real life characters and objects.

The only reason people seem to dislike it is because of double standards. It may spark some controversy, but how many times have we sparked controversy in the past? And even so why does that come before having cohesive standards and striving for accurate power placements?

I've always believed this, but I go on the opposite way, since I say it was better if we didn't tier Greek myths because of that double standard.

Wow, uh

I imagine such profiles and threads being pretty offensive to some religious guys. Like, there were people that were wishing death to someone because their favorite character wasn't one tier higher...

...so what about christianity and islam, really? That's only just trying to be political and making problems/too big controversy imo. Why repeating controversy of this level because it might have happened earlier?

SpookyShadow said:
Wow, uh
I imagine such profiles and threads being pretty offensive to some religious guys. Like, there were people that were wishing death to someone because their favorite character wasn't one tier higher...

...so what about christianity and islam, really? That's only just trying to be political and making problems/too big controversy imo. Why repeating controversy of this level because it might have happened earlier?
Because its a double standard. People are going to disagree with us, some might even get offended and that's fine. People give death threats because their favorite characters are "downplayed" or "wanked" but when has that ever stopped us.

And its not just christianity and islam. Its every banned religion from the site. Just because these religions are more popular doesn't make them any more legitimate than the other religions we tier. These are things that people did or still do believe in. Popularity should irrelevant.

ThisIsMySwagPack said:
I don't see a single positive thing that would come from making pages about christian or muslim religion.
Pages invoke much positivity and negativity. Our saitama page is an example of that, but that should not stop us. We strive to give accurate scaling, not giving into people's opinions just for the sake of it.

EmperorRorepme said:
People believe their gods are omnipotent and that's it, especially Muslims. Appling statistics to those beliefs based on that will offend many people.
People believe Saitama is omnipotent and we dont scale him as such, and that has offended many of his fanboys. People get offended by our scaling alot. We already do "offensive" things. Who cares?

And even so what about the people who actually believe in Greek and Norse myth? What if they get offended by our pages? Even if its just one or two people?

It's on two different scales. The amount of people offended will be much greater. Plus people don't like their sacred stuff being treated as fiction which is the crux I think.

People believe Saitama is omnipotent and we dont scale him as such, and that has offended many of his fanboys. People get offended by our scaling alot. We already do "offensive" things. Who cares?

People don't worship Saitama.

If people cannot separate the mythology from the feats to discuss rationally on a battleboarding-indexing site, I honestly see no reason we can't just dismiss those specific people since their ability to engage the material is obviously non-existent.

I agree with the OP that it's a blatant double standard and is essentially picking-and-choosing what is a 'protected' caste on the site for absurdly arbitrary reasons.

We index real life things on here, we index fictional things, we index mythology, we index religion. The idea of 'people may get upset' isn't on the wiki, it's on the individual in question.

I find myself agreeing that either it all should be nuked from site, or all be allowed on-site. Just make Discussion Rules for it on VS threads that any debate going beyond strict discussion of feats in threads involving Religion will result in bans, no questions asked, to preempt any stupidity.

OP brings a valid discussion to the table and I think it should be re-examined.

EmperorRorepme said:
It's on two different scales. The amount of people offended will be much greater. Plus people don't like their sacred stuff being treated as fiction which is the crux I think.
And again thats a double standard. We only refuse to do so because of the masses. Popularity should again be irrelevant. We give this treatment to other religions, so christanity and other major religions should be no different. Either all of it's okay, or none of it's okay.

This is a horrible idea. If the double stabdard bothers you, then we can just remove the other mythology pages, but we're not giving God an actual profile.

Also, there are religions for The Force from Star Wars as well, aren't there? This is more of a case of the notability of the religions, adding Hercules isn't that controversial, adding freaking Jesus Christ sure is.

The Wright Way said:
People don't worship Saitama.
Im using him as an example, try not to take it too literally. Im mainly addressing controversy itself.

The Wright Way said:
This is a horrible idea. If the double stabdard bothers you, then we can just remove the other mythology pages, but we're not giving God an actual profile.
Thats what im pointing out. I dont care about the result but the double standard needs to be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back