• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A problem I have with the current rules on religion / mythology tiering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, maybe delete the gods but not mythological heroes or smth along those lines? Like Odysseus and Achilles

Tbh, why do we even have Mythology pages in the first place?

I know they are "Myths" but some of the Myths are based around religious characters

I'm honestly wondering if we should keep Mythological characters due to them being based around religion

@Prom

I wasn't presuming your intent was to argue as such, just that the explanation for why we don't index modern religions comes off that way, thus leading me into why mythology ought to be nixed entirely.

And I'm glad @Wright agrees, since I've been circling around that main point for a while and was simply waiting for the wording to be correct.

Stalker Maggot said:
Tbh, why do we even have Mythology pages in the first place?

I know they are "Myths" but some of the Myths are based around religious characters

I'm honestly wondering if we should keep Mythological characters due to them being based around religion
I mean... I guess it'd be safe to keep stuff like Santa or Bigfoot. Urban Legend and Kid Myth stuff should be fine.

Urban legends like creepypastas or whatever should be just fine.

Religions made with the purpose of faith, belief, and way of life shouldn't.

I'm seconded to nuke the myth, i also wondering why it exist in first place

But now the problem is:

• How about the heroes/monsters/and many legend creatures?
  • How this one would affect our pages who inspired/referenced to the myth?

Xulrev said:
In what way is this blasphemy, to examine a religious text and analyze what the powers that be in perform, objectively? That seems a cop-out.

Is there anything on Fandom precluding the discussion of deific figures? I presume not, since several exist on this wiki already and we are not nuked
The part where you pit them against anime girls, have them stomped and claim the fight is fair cuz they don't have the feats to be tier 0. (Don't even try to say "muh indexing site". There is no one person here that doesn't know that is not a hundredth of the appeal of this wiki).

The part where, as our rules per making profiles for real things besides objects and animals for scaling porpuse is prohibited, directly implying that the profiles depict fictive beings.

The part where you take a site about tiering fictional characters as the platform to analyse religion.

Google is your friend. I'm sure you can find a site to do what you want. We would very much apriciate not being deleted. Two wrongs don't make a right, at most Myts and relisions get deleted.

Veloxt1r0kore said:
I'm seconded to nuke the myth, i also wondering why it exist in first place

But now the problem is:
I'd personally prefer if we kept heroes and other stuff with actual basis in some form of static "plot" (such as Ulisse/Odysseus having his whole book) and just nuking stuff with no real canon (oral legends from millennia ago are honestly just "which baseless claim can you find online about them?" for things like death).

Fictional characters would most likely be fine, since they are quiet distinctly different. If the character is controversial in real life, then it can be argued they shouldn't stay, either.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
The part where you pit them against anime girls, have them stomped and claim the fight is fair cuz they don't have the feats to be tier 0. (Don't even try to say "muh indexing site". There is no one person here that doesn't know that is not a hundredth of the appeal of this wiki).

The part where, as our rules per making profiles for real things besides objects and animals for scaling porpuse is prohibited, directly implying that the profiles depict fictive beings.

The part where you take a site about tiering fictional characters as the platform to analyse religion.

Google is your friend. I'm sure you can find a site to do what you want. We would very much apriciate not being deleted. Two wrongs don't make a right, at most Myts and relisions get deleted.
Yeah, so we're back to where I've already stated we just nuke mythology profiles to avoid patently stating that Christianity and Islam are factually correct and insulting all other religions. Trying to dismiss me to another site is sort of insulting here

Fully fictional beings that have always been recognized as fabrications such as Santa are most likely ok, since no one has ever worshipped him. The likes of gods such as Zeus and Amaterasu, however, are a huge no-no.

First of all, this is false equivalency. Fiction is fiction as it's created by people. Religion on the other hand isn't something that's forcibly fiction or reality. No modern day human believes in Greek or Norse mythology anymore and tiering them is way less serious or controversial then tiering those of Christian theology or other traditions. Mythology is better worded as a former or dead religion where as Christianity, Islam, ect are currently living religions. And Saitama being omnipotent isn't really logical for anyone with common sense.

That being said, there are currently debates regarding the validity of Mythology profiles. But it's less about the controversies and more about the numerous interpretations that view them differently.

But here is the thing, said Zeus and Amaterasu are big nope, then how about their portrayal in fiction? We had Zeus from GoW and Amaterasu in certain mobile games for example

Veloxt1r0kore said:
But here is the thing, said Zeus and Amaterasu are big nope, then how about their portrayal in fiction? We had Zeus from GoW and Amaterasu in certain mobile games for example
Those are allowed. They are (definitively and unarguably) fiction.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
First of all, this is false equivalency. Fiction is fiction as it's created by people. Religion on the other hand isn't something that's forcibly fiction or reality. No modern day human believes it Greek or Norse mythology anymore and tiering them is way less serious or controversial then tiering those of Christian theology. Mythology is better worded as a former or dead religion where as Christianity, Islam, ect are currently living religions. And Saitama being omnipotent isn't really logical for anyone with common sense.
Man, you all really just like disenfranchising people and dismissing their beliefs without batting an eyelash, don't ya?

Xulrev said:
Yeah, so we're back to where I've already stated we just nuke mythology profiles to avoid patently stating that Christianity and Islam are factually correct and insulting all other religions. Trying to dismiss me to another site is sort of insulting here
Which is what everyone has proposed, yes. No need to keep saying it.

I told you that if you wish to analyse religions, there is another site for that. I did not say that you can't stay here to see fictional characters analyzed. It was not meant as offense, what with being able to follow multiple sites at once.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
First of all, this is false equivalency. Fiction is fiction as it's created by people. Religion on the other hand isn't something that's forcibly fiction or reality. No modern day human believes it Greek or Norse mythology anymore and tiering them is way less serious or controversial then tiering those of Christian theology. Mythology is better worded as a former or dead religion where as Christianity, Islam, ect are currently living religions. And Saitama being omnipotent isn't really logical for anyone with common sense.
That being said, there are currently debates regarding the validity of Mythology profiles. But it's less about the controversies and more about the numerous interpretations that view them differently.
1. There are about 10,000 known people that believe in Norse Myth

2. Stop taking the Saitama example so literally. I was addressing controversy, not the validity of him being omnipotent or something people worship.

3. If we don't want to infringe on people's religions why do we do it to lesser religions. Their numbers are small but that shouldn't make their beliefs any less valid.

Has someone gotten Ant? Hes always been against Abrahamic religions being here so im sure he'll want to know about this.

PsychoWarper said:
Has someone gotten Ant? Hes always been against Abrahamic religions being here so im sure he'll want to know about this.
Go ahead and notify him if you want.

I think the general consensus here isn't 'Make Abrahamic profiles', and is moreso 'maybe don't tell thousands of people their sincerely-held religious beliefs are factually incorrect'.

Then that adress all of the problem about fiction portrayal for myth figures, alright then

Anyway let's not throw an fictions here and focusing on what we discussed on the first place

I know Sera thinks we should just get rid of mythology profiles, and Matt seems to agree. But Kepekley says they're all fine. I'm neutral regarding those Greek, Norse, and various Eastern mythologies. But very strongly against making profiles and tiering the prominent religions that portray their own God as being truly Omnipotent among other things.

Xulrev said:
I think the general consensus here isn't 'Make Abrahamic profiles', and is moreso 'maybe don't tell thousands of people their sincerely-held religious beliefs are factually incorrect'.
Exactly, deleting every other mythology is simply way more safer than creating Abrahamic profiles, because we get rid of the double standard without the controversy.

I do believe it best to wait for Ant, he will absolutely have an opinion on this since it is a major step to take. He has been notified from what others say, so let's wait for his input and leave the discussion here at 'most people agree to level treatment and therefore the deletion of mythology pages'

"Please avoid VS debating with deities featured in modern religions unless it is a comics, games, tv, etc version of that deity. It is both controversial and impractical to bring up the contents of religious scriptures."

Should rules like this be adjusted to read "in religion" or "world beliefs as a whole", or something similar?

As others have said, allowing religious profiles is pretty nonsensical. But I'm not opposed to deleting mythology profiles to be quite honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back