• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Mind Manipulation (and resistance to it)

So, I often see that to measure the potency of a certain Mind Manipulation, we tend to use the number of people affected by said power.

Example: Vitiate's Mind Manipulation is into the quadrillions of people range.

As a consequence, we also scale resistance to this.

Example: Reinhard Heydrich and his legion resist Methuselah's aura, which embodies the fear of Darkness of all people of Earth for decillions of universal resets.

However, something that came to my mind (no pun intended) is if the complexity of a being's mind and the amount of information it could process in a short amount of time could actually grant him resistance to this particular power:

Example
: There's being that his mind is complex enough to be capable of processing and calculating Graham's Number^Graham's Number countless times in less than a nanosecond. So this guy would be able to no-sell even extremely potent 3-dimensional mind manipulations, like even in the tre-decillions, or even much higher.

Of course, if another character was able to cause such a beings mind to completely break, this would be an incredibly powerful mind manipulation feat.

If someone can gain extremely potent mind manipulation by affecting all sentient living beings'minds at once, then why wouldn't another one gain a mind manipulation of comparable potency by being capable of affecting a being whose mind is more complex then all sentient living being's minds combined?

While this may not apply to all types of Mind manipulation, I just wanted to ask if this was actually possible to scale the potency of/resistance to Mind Manipulation based on the complexity of a character's mind

Will be following. And would like to mention that in Pokémon, Alakazam's mind is stated to never stop developing and it expands indefinitevely. Plus, there is also Metagross having a mind capable of calculating faster than a Supercomputer.

This seems like it would be a case by case thing. If the verse treats a more complex mind (within the same dimensional scale) to warrant a resistance to mindhax, then giving them resistance should be fine. However, I don't think it can be assumed that any really smart people have abnormal levels of mind resistance that they have not otherwise displayed, unless the mindhax they are being subjected to is explicitly hampered by this.

LephyrTheRevanchist said:
Will be following. And would like to mention that in Pokémon, Alakazam's mind is stated to never stop developing and it expands indefinitevely. Plus, there is also Metagross having a mind capable of calculating faster than a Supercomputer.
The funny thing is that actually Alakazam is resistant to the psychic type and Metagross has even more resistance due to the steel type.

Also I agree with Wokistan

I asked the same question a few weeks back. Intelligence doesn't automatically give someone Mind control resistance.

Although mind controlling a nigh-omniscient or super genius is a better feat than doing someone with Average intellect

It's actually not unless the verse's mindhax works that way, and even then that's generally counted as more of a weakness for the mindhax itself. You contradicted yourself there.

Back