• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Mario's Profile

Okay, why does Mario have stuff from the paper Mario games on his profile?

We literally have a Paper Mario profile

I can see some upcoming arguments

"Luigi's Diary mentions the games"

Yes

The spin-off games

Actually, shouldn't the spin off game have separate profiles in general?

And here's another argument I can see

"Mario has no canon1!!!!!!!"

Nothing here implies he doesn't have a canon, he is literally just saying he sees the Mario gang as actors and how they can take on different roles

And the only other argument I can see is "The spin offs refences the other games".

That doesn't mean they are in the same universe at all. I know his profile says that the games have connections, but what connections do they have? If it's via refences, then it shouldn't count

Here is what I propose

1. We remove all of the spin off material from his profile and make separate profiles

2. We delete Paper Mario and make this profile a composite game profile

This thread his been discussed over 7 times also that paper mario is from paper jam (3ds) and literally has note at the bottom of both profiles telling why. Also making separate profile for that would be just dumb. The paper mario (paper jam) will stay along with the rest. I'm headed to bed same thread same discussion about one profile.

But that's the thing: Who's to say what is canon, then? Who's to say what exactly the "main" games are, then? The 2D Games to 3D games don't have anything connecting them IIRC and even had different names for the characters before remakes.

Bowser's character hardly ever changes across all mediums and this holds true for even Mario (except the speaking roles), Luigi, and Peach. How exactly do we determine what games are connected beyond the obvious sequels to a particular series? Luigi's Mansion is considered a Mario spin-off by many but Sunshine references it heavily with both E.Gadd being referenced in the "main" 3D games and also that ghost hotel that holds a reference to Luigi's Mansion. References absolutely do count because otherwise we're proposing seperate profiles for every game but the ones that have direct sequels like Galaxy, World, and the Mario Bros. series.

But then this is also weird because then our minion profiles couldn't be made unless they're a composite as they each appear in MANY games.

This is a headache to properly structure and organise because of these reasons.

For the Paper Mario stuff there is a giant note at the bottom of the page saying that the profile is for the Paper Mario in Paper Jam since games before and after that game's release treat most of his apperances as just being the same Mario as normal, most notably Superstar Sagas remake (Which came out after Paper Jam) treats the first Paper Mario as a past adventure for Mario and Luigi alongside the likes of Mario World and Mario 64, plus as MarioNaturo just posted Miyamoto and Aonuma said there's only the one Mario who's the same person every time. Why make special note of Luigis diary mentioning the spinoffs as if it somehow discredits them? You also gave no argument for the spin offs being their own universe, you just say them having references doesn't count. Guess the M&L series should have their own profiles and be set in another universe since those are spin offs. Frankly there's nothing really convincing in the OP for all these games to be their own universe.

https://youtu.be/8Kt-KUktAdQ?t=382

Outside of Paper Jam's different versions of characters, no reason to split up the profiles due to it outright being spoon-fed to us and repeated by WOG and chars its the same Mario even if the art style changes. Paper Jam's Mario has its own profile and that's all that it needs due to outright being a different one than the M & L one that lives in a book and not in a normal universe.

Back