• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About getting "almighty" powers from Tier 0 or High 1-As

Drag-O-Drawgon

FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
Well, this is the one thing on my ban list that isn't officially on the list yet. This is: "*Any "Almighty" power coming from a Tier 0 or High 1-A: Seems to be designed to just auto win. At the very least, these should be banned from VS threads and the Wiki's Strongest thread. Also includes immunities from this and immortality reliant on this."

So, I need some responses agreeing or disagreeing to this. Suggestions would also be highly appreciated.

I strongly disagree that this should be disallowed. Not all characters on this wiki are for Vs Battles- the very existance of Tier 0s here is proof of that. Some people just want to write down their work and their original universes, and maybe quantify their power in the process. Banning an entire power for reasons that are utterly meta seems quite counterproductive to that goal. Take the Specter, for instance. He's often not presented as such, but he does indeed gain power directly from the 1-A Presence, so that does seem like it would be a power from him.

I agree that characters like this should certainly be banned from the Wiki's Strongest, though. That's only reasonable.

I think that whether or not powers like this sould be banned simply boils down to the argument of "characters for the sake of a story vs characters for the sake of being powerful".

Drag-O-Drawgon said:
Well, this is the one thing on my ban list that isn't officially on the list yet. This is: "*Any "Almighty" power coming from a Tier 0 or High 1-A: Seems to be designed to just auto win. At the very least, these should be banned from VS threads and the Wiki's Strongest thread. Also includes immunities from this and immortality reliant on this."

So, I need some responses agreeing or disagreeing to this. Suggestions would also be highly appreciated.
Tier 0 is the most powerful tier level ever, op level ever.

Furthering my initial statement, if a character has all sorts of powers originating from the High 1-A and nothing else, then delete that page, it's a shit character. But delete it because it's shit, not because it has "almighty powers"

Monarch Laciel said:
Furthering my initial statement, if a character has all sorts of powers originating from the High 1-A and nothing else, then delete that page, it's a shit character. But delete it because it's shit, not because it has "almighty powers"
Is is cause it"s a stupid op page.

What Monarch said, essentially.

Make substance or get purged. We've been through this too many times.

I agree with the fact that files of this sort should not be deleted unless they are straight up terribad.

HOWEVER, stuff like this should in fact be banned from Vs threads and that equivalent of a dick measuring contest Wiki's Strongest thread.

Can we stop with these threads already? We all understand what's expected of us on this wiki, and having read the rules, everyone should already know what to do and what not to do.

If I'm being rude I apologize, but my inner contrarian is speaking out, I guess.

The Wandering Boy doesn't exist to be placed in VS Matches. He is strictly story based. I disagree is not making them at all. However if characters like these are made for the sake of VS debates then I agree, those can be banned.

Maybe the Wiki's Strongest thread isn't very good for the community in general. As long as it stays up, people are going to keep fixating on making overpowered characters instead of interesting ones. My apologies to Mark, but in my opinion it's a bad idea to keep that thread going.

This should have been apparent from the start. That thread is toxic, even if it's creator had no intention of such. Sure VSBW has a Wiki's Strongest Thread, but those involve using already existing charactera rather than ones anyone can create and tend to be far lower in quality.

I do agree about about the strongest thread being bad for the community I was on it for a time then realized what it was really about and left it.

Not to mention anyone can freely edit their character here in order to make their own the "strongest", compared to VSBW in which that luxury is nonexistent and requires a thread along with an entire process for said upgrade to be accepted. Not only that, it simply is basically a contest of "my character is better than your" which doesn't really create the best atmosphere. Of course that wasn't the OP's intention, but you catch the drift.

I don't see a problem with the wiki's strongest thread. From what i see, most of the people who have a problem with it don't even indulge in that side of the community.

We have to remember that there is a side of the community that wants these "My character Vs. Your character or other" battles/discussions, and that's the reason why they joined the community in the first place.

I agree with the OP, but it feels like there are people who want to entire "Vs" part of the FC/OC wiki to just die. People join the community for different reasons, why can't the two coexist?

We don't want the "Vs" side of FC/OC to die. However, we also have the need for quality pages. That's just something we require. See all our old threads on this topic to see the issue in detail. I highly doubt anyone wants to go through all that here.

Simple fact is that we have no issues with Vs stuff, no one does. What we have an issue with is characters who are simply made to be OP for the sake of beating other characters. Like I said, read our previous discussions on this.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
We don't want the "Vs" side of FC/OC to die. However, we also have the need for quality pages. That's just something we require. See all our old threads on this topic to see the issue in detail. I highly doubt anyone wants to go through all that here.
Simple fact is that we have no issues with Vs stuff, no one does. What we have an issue with is characters who are simply made to be OP for the sake of beating other characters. Like I said, read our previous discussions on this.

Exactly. Not only are those characters boring and pointless, but they add toxicity, stress and unneeded competition in the community overall. Actual VS matches would be more interesting if people would actually cooperate, offer advice, and the like.

I am aware that "VS" is in the wiki's title, but if we keep turning this stuff into a dick measuring contest then the actual matches won't be very fun. Let's just try and be positive, helpful, and constructive in any way we can as a community. I'm not saying that people should drop real life for this site, but a lot of users tend to leave potentially awesome fictional ideas behind without even looking back.

Many of us could use this site to get our stuff out there, and it's a shame to see so many ideas go to waste.

So...

From votes collected, we should not ban this outright, but ban it from all VS threads. Should I apply this to the list now?

ExerciseDancefloors said:
Alright, so long as characters are allowed to actually possess these powers. It's fine to ban them from VS threads, if you ask me.
More like just auto restrict the power. If the character itself has quality, it should be fine for them to be in a VS thread (without the power, obviously). An entire character should only be banned if it is literally made of these things. (And at this point, it would 9 times out of 10 be terrible enough to just get deleted)

@Dragon

I read the previous discussions on it, I simply don't agree.

I can see having a problem with bad pages or even characters created simply to beat other characters...but to talk down on users who create OP characters just because the creator wanted to make them for Vs battles, is segregating a significant portion of the community from the people who just want interesting characters and have little to no interest in the" Vs." aspect, for really no reason other than the fact that some of those people in the latter section are annoyed at the people making OP characters.

From what I know, there isn't a lot of other communities to debate about OC's and FC's(Especially not in a reasonable and respectful way). Having come from the Vs battle wiki myself and having been debating fictional characters since I was 11, it's quite an exciting pass-time to create op characters with the purpose of fighting other op characters (Of course, without having any specific character in mind). I have characters like Louie Mao who are made to simply be OP and fight other OC's , then I also have characters like Armani Woote who are from actual stories that I wrote. I don't see why I can't enjoy both aspects of the community without being unfairly criticised and mocked (Which is exactly what happens in threads where this issue is discussed).

@Execise

The entire purpose of Vs battles is discussion and debate among fellow users. I don't want users to be hostile towards one another, but the entire point of a Vs battle is to have an argument about which character beats the other, the premise is basically built off of a "Dick Measuring Contest"...which is what makes it "fun" in the first place (IMO).

@Drag

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit, but I didn't think I would have any other oppertunity to bring this up.

I hope Ark's page is of decent quality so far...

Anyways, just about any power should be allowed so long as the characters using the power are restricted from using it or just aren't used in general for VS matches.

@Exercise

There are Arguments all tbe time everywhere...even right now we are having an argument.

It doesn't have to be hostile.

I guess your definition of an argument is just different from mine, then.

That's fine.

Also, remember that almost anything is subjective depending on someone's point of view.

"I can see having a problem with bad pages or even characters created simply to beat other characters...but to talk down on users who create OP characters just because the creator wanted to make them for Vs battles, is segregating a significant portion of the community from the people who just want interesting characters and have little to no interest in the" Vs." aspect, for really no reason other than the fact that some of those people in the latter section are annoyed at the people making OP characters."

I'm sorry, whether you agree or not is not the issue. We have gone over this countless times and have gone over our standards. if you don't like it, this is not the place for you. Simple as that. The Vs side of this site is nice and all, but this is mostly a place for people to build their verses, cosmologies, etc. I'd rather make the versus portion of the fans angry then to have crappy pages. Simple as that. Also, once again, as stated in those threads, we could careless if your character is OP or not. All we want is some character and some effort put into the character's actual character. This Opness for OPness sake is the reason people dislike OC's and why many people have complained and left this site. We cannot please everyone. We aren't asking for all this detail or this detail. We want effort and quality. We want these characters to be characters, not just overpowered lumps of flesh that are also just poorly made.

"From what I know, there isn't a lot of other communities to debate about OC's and FC's(Especially not in a reasonable and respectful way). Having come from the Vs battle wiki myself and having been debating fictional characters since I was 11, it's quite an exciting pass-time to create op characters with the purpose of fighting other op characters (Of course, without having any specific character in mind). I have characters like Louie Mao who are made to simply be OP and fight other OC's , then I also have characters like Armani Wooten who are from actual stories that I wrote. I don't see why I can't enjoy both aspects of the community without being unfairly criticised and mocked (Which is exactly what happens in threads where this issue is discussed)."

We have specifically stated that these are the type of characters that we DO NOT want. You are dealing with writers here and as such your characters will be criticized if we see them as just OP just to be OP. Why? Because, we have pretty blatantly stated that this is NOT what we look for here. We have standards. Once again, we are asking for even a simple paragraph of character. Are our characters the most creative and original? No, we are not going to claim that, however our characters either follow a narrative or said creators still wanted to show that even an OP character without a major story can still be interesting and have effort put into their character. People often assume that we just hate hax or something. Something we have even stated we don't mind. Our issue comes with the issues it causes and the atmosphere it brings. A simple paragraph of personality is all we want. I have stated this multiple times.

It's not "oh you made a character just for the sake of beating another character YOU suck!"

It's because the characters are poorly made. They are nothing but power and are boring when you have to constantly hear about them like they're so great.

This is not a dick-measuring contest, which is what the Wiki's Strongest Thread has become (wasn't always like that either).

I'm not dissatisfied with the way you guys run thing here(at least not completely), I'm dissatisfied with the way you as leaders of the community treat other users.

I've read through your discussions about this in the past. Users have made comments straight up insulting other user's intelligence just because of their differing points of view.

Bad pages get deleted regardless of if they're OP or not.

I just don't think there should be any problem with creating a character for the sake of Vs battles as long as they are written correctly. There are plenty of characters who are technically OP for the sake of being OP, but their OPness serves a purpose in the story and their character arc. Unless the OC is from an actual story, or the user decides to create a story around the character, users can't possibly fit an entire compelling character arc on one profile....And they likely wouldn't want to either.

I wonder if there is a community where people can debate their OP OC's in a respectful manner....

Edit: Anyway, I get that it's just not something a very vocal portion of the community likes...and I know that most won't change their opinion from just me mentioning this...I just wanted to give my input.

YungManzi said:
I'm not dissatisfied with the way you guys run thing here(at least not completely), I'm dissatisfied with the way you as leaders of the community treat other users.

I've read through your discussions about this in the past. Users have made comments straight up insulting other user's intelligence just because of their differing points of view.

Bad pages get deleted regardless of if they're OP or not.

I just don't think there should be any problem with creating a character for the sake of Vs battles as long as they are written correctly. There are plenty of characters who are technically OP for the sake of being OP, but their OPness serves a purpose in the story amd their character arc. Unless the OC is from an actual story, or the user decides to create a story around the character, users can't possibly fit an entire compelling character arc on one profile....And they likely wouldn't want to either.

I wonder if there is a community where people can debate their OP OC's in a respectful manner....
WAT?

YungManzi said:
Source of this please as now you are making accusations.

Back