• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to tanking explosions, I beleive we generally use the inverse square law when concerned about durability from tanking an explosion.

However, there seems to be some inconsistentcy with this.

Some explosio calculations seem to blatantly ignore this law. Assuming that the entire energy of an explosion is concentrated on the surface area of the people who withstood it. Witch according to this law, should be wrong.

While others follow this law.

So what I'm asking is... what exactly makes these different from each other? Do we make separate assumptions for some explosion tanking feats? Because it does not make a whole lot of sense to apply the full power of an explosion over one person's surface area. Especially since the energy in an explosion... well.... explodes outwards. Not concentrate in a single spot. Even if someone were standing a couple meters from a nuclear blast, 100% of the energy still won't be concentrating on them.

If it turns out that all explosion tanking feats do indeed need to follow the inverse square law. Then... I feel some serious downgrades are in order for a lot of verses and characters that base thier AP and dura off this.

So am I tripping out here? Or have some huge mistakes really been made?

Those three calcs are tanked at the epicenter of the explosion, inverse square is for tanking explosions outside the epicenter

Welp, yeah, if the character tank the explosion from a considerable distance from the epicenter, that law shoukd be used. I also suggested to use this method for ground level explosions.

Still. Assuming 100% of the energy is concentrated on a Human surface area sounds a bit sketchy to me. Unless you were literally hugging the epicenter of the explosion, I find it pretty unlikely you'd take 100% of the outward energy.

@VersusJunkie

I've already tested this, if you're within less than 1m of the epicenter the energy difference is negligible.

Kepekley23 said:
@VersusJunkie
I've already tested this, if you're within less than 1m of the epicenter the energy difference is negligible.
As I said, that would mean literally almost hugging the epicenter.

While some calcs are legit in this manner. There are some out there that assume that the people tanking it are within that distance to the epicenter. In any case, it just doesn't feel right.

Welp, if there's a calc that is not following the correct procedure then makes as known, but according to the members above, those that you posted were tanked at the epicenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back