• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Calculating an "explosion" of water

With the new Percy Jackson book released recently, The Chalice of the Gods, Percy gets a new feat in which he created and explosion of water which he states to be millions of metric tons, with him as the epicentre. I am curious as to what is the best way to go about calcing this feat. I was going to assume it as a sphere of water and calculate the energy required to displace the water omni directionally in a short time period (1-2 seconds) but am unsure of how to properly go about this

This is the part of the book in which it happens

Well, you could do a kinetic energy calc, using 2 million metric tons (as a lowball, which is also 2e+9 kg) as the mass. You can then find the distance the water traveled and the time it took to travel that distance, dividing distance by time to get speed.

For KE, you would use (1/12) * mass * speed^2. We'd use 1/12 instead of 1/2 as something to account for the omnidirectional movement of the water, which suggests that not all of the water may have moved at the same speed.

What bit are you specifically confused about? The method you mentioned would work here, but just use KE and use 1/12 instead of 1/2 as it's omnidirectional.

EDIT: Ninja'd

You can use the size of the upstream part of the river as distance
The name of the river is Saw Mill
I had landed right next to a marshy area labeled SAW MILL RIVER MUSKRAT HABITAT.
I saw zero muskrats. Being smart animals, they were
Which is an IRL river

You can use the size of the upstream part of the river as distance
The name of the river is Saw Mill

Which is an IRL river
Yeah I've tried to find the cavern they go into where the feat takes place but can't seem to find any information of it. Apparently Saw Mill River isn't exactly very famous and doesn't have much information about it online lol. Any advice?

So, I looked up Saw Mill River and traced it upstream to its source, to which I found a body of water, which I would assume to be the "upstream part" of the river, as going upstream leads you to the source of the river.

I also pixel measured it (though a bit scuffed, forgive me, I was on mobile)

Back