• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A suggestion for Bumping a Thread Rules

SomebodyData

El SiD
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Retired
After speaking with GTgokussj4 and LordAizenSama on chat, we come to agree that over bumping threads can get... a tad annoying. Now, we ain't saying that bumping should be stopped, we're just trying to say that there should be a limit, Lord Aizen Sama suggested about one month after a thread is created no bumping should be allowed. Similarly, when a thread simply doesn't get any people or is already finished, bumping shouldn't be allowed. Of course, some threads are important so this really should only apply to vs threads. So what do you guys say?

While bumping isn't exactly blockworthy, I would suggest say 1-2 warnings with the thread they kept on bumping being locked to pervent further bumping.

Yeah bumps, especially the more blatant and obnoxious ones can be quite annoying and both fill the activity feed and derail the thread at times. This rule seems like a good choice to me.

I totally agree with this, that thread bumping can be annoying especially after the user does the thread and bumping more than two times.

Basilisk1995 said:
Sounds good. But what's the punishment in case someone breaks this rule?
While bumping isn't exactly blockworthy, I would suggest say 1-2 warnings with the thread they kept on bumping being locked to pervent further bumping. And if they don't comply we could go with a week of block.

SomebodyData said:
While bumping isn't exactly blockworthy, I would suggest say 1-2 warnings with the thread they kept on bumping being locked to pervent further bumping. And if they don't comply we could go with a week of block.
That seems to be a reasonable punishment.

I agree with this and the fact this should be for versus threads only

as for punishments 2 warnings and a block after that is pretty standard.

Hmm. I kinda sympathize with bumpers since their threads usually get buried if they don't feature the most popular and well known characters. But that's just me...

But after a month? Yeah best to stahp bumping

Even though I'm a common bumper, I agree with this. If a thread gets no momentum, there's probably a reason to it.

The real cal howard said:
Even though I'm a common bumper, I agree with this. If a thread gets no momentum, there's probably a reason to it.
Reason being it didn't involve a character from these franchises. DBZ, HST, OPM, Marvel, DC, sometimes Seiya and JoJo

So true. Though I'd argue that Marvel and DC don't get as much momentum as the first three, or even as much as JoJo (simply because of Giorno and MAYBE Dio). Honestly I think that anime has a higher priority here, but that's just me.

well as a person with over a dozen of thread that almost nobody even care, I agree, even I never bumping my thread if my thread has been around for weeks with no new response.

The real cal howard said:
So true. Though I'd argue that Marvel and DC don't get as much momentum as the first three, or even as much as JoJo (simply because of Giorno and MAYBE Dio). Honestly I think that anime has a higher priority here, but that's just me.
True, my marvel and DC thread is one of over a dozen of thread that almost nobody even care.

imo i think one month is a bit to much, one week on the other hand is more reasonable ^_^

otherwise i agree with everything else,

btw, what are the rules for closng a thread which even after two or more repeated bumps does not get any replies? simply letting open? or closing it?

If you limit it to one week you won't give the interested parties enough time to respond, @GreatestSi. Also I personally find the blocking unnecessary. Why not just close the old thread?

TheMightyRegulator said:
If you limit it to one week you won't give the interested parties enough time to respond,
i dont mean 1 week for closing but for bumping, if after two or more bumps the thread still doesnt have any replies than we should close it like you said :)

@GreatestSi. Also I personally find the blocking unnecessary. Why not just close the old thread?
yeah, this would be the best option :)

Alright, then should I remove the blocking part, only to keep the locking thread part from the op?

mm yeah, it's not neccessary if a time should come when staff feels like it's needed, well then they will do what's needed to be done

Blocking doesn't need to be in rules, admins can decide on their own who to block and when. General rule about bumps would suffice I think.

I think this is at least unnecessary ,bumping threads doesn't bother anyone nor does it take any "space" we could use for other reasons so why should we threaten people with being banned or close their threads?

I dunno... it depends on the kind of bumping or post we are talking about here. Nothing wrong with bumping really. But if it's obnoxious spamming or trolling then that's something else. But bumping threads are often inoffensive and people mean to give input.

ever seen a thread that's all but concluded only to be bumped months later by someone adding "X Char wins?" it's pointless,pushes back other threads and most forums i'm familiar with have rules for this.

Well, making a rule about not bumping a month old or more versus threads seems appropriate, but banning people for it does not.

Antvasima said:
Well, making a rule about not bumping a month old or more versus threads seems appropriate, but banning people for it does not.
Yeah, I have removed the blocking part

Antvasima said:
But why ,we already have tons of rules and adding more for such petty matters is pointless ,energy sucking for the new members that are trying to learn the rules and it will make furius people that are bumbing their threads ,since not only the comunity is uninteresting to their activity but we also don't let them to be occupied with things they like.

That is a fair point. It is a pretty harmless activity overall, I think.

Before we make a rule we need to explain exactly what are the problems with bumping a thread? Except that some people get annoyed. I am not sure that's a good enough reason to make a rule like this.

Yes. It seems kind of harmless. Then again, I am not focused on handling versus threads, just monitoring edits, and answering content revision topics. The forum moderators are probably better suited to evaluating whether this would be a good rule.

Well, bumping became got a little increase in numbers because VS threads need 1-2 more votes for legitimate victories.

Back