• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Potential New Ability to Add to the Wiki...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Omnilingualism is the ability to understand and utilize verbal or non-verbal communication without any prior knowledge of the language."

This could be worth having it's own page in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but I don't see any combat application for this ability to warrant the page tbh

That seems like an intelligence feat more than an ability (other than the instances when it's granted to say isekai protagonists) and doesn't exactly do anything by itself.

I mean, most Cosmic Marvel have this ability in the form of the Universal Translator, but then again, there's little to no point adding it since it has no use.

I'm fine with this, although you might want to go into more detail about this ability

@Zark Being useful in combat really isn't a necessity

TacticalNuke002 said:
That seems like an intelligence feat more than an ability (other than the instances when it's granted to say isekai protagonists) and doesn't exactly do anything by itself.
It's not intelligence. Intelligence = Having knowledge

Omniligualism = Translation without knowledge

Why would it be an inportant combat statistic? To add to things like Social Influencing (Because you cannot influence someone who can't understand you) and characters who have abilities which rely on language.

I think it's pretty cool. The ability to know someones language without having prior knowlege. I skemmed over some descriptions from looking it up. Basically you would be able to conversate with anyone without knowing having to study or even know the name of their language.

Examples

A man/woman born and raised in Tokyo Japan with this ability would be able to go to Mexico and speak to everyone without a problem.

A man/woman gets kidnapped by aliens, with this ability he/she would be able to talk to them.

Two kids make up a language that they only know because they were bored. A man/woman with this ability would be able to speak it.

Also, he/she would be able to read ancient tablets written in languages we do not speak anymore would be able to decipher them with no error.

It's kind of cool when you think about it.

those are just some scenarios you could probably do other interesting things aswell.

Andytrenom said:
@Zark Being useful in combat really isn't a necessity
Idk, I don't think there are any abilities in the wiki that are unrelated to combat.

@YungManzi I mean, it is an ability to add another ability which in turn is used to complement other abilities.

Anyhow, even if we resolve to adding this, Multilingualism is a better umbrella term for this and other related powers,so I'd suggest using that and then adding Omnilingualism as a subtype.

A lot of characters in The Rising of the Shield Hero have the ability to copy and counter magic by hearing the chants and deciphering them; and a good amount of them also have a sort of auto translation ability.

Which is a perfect example of it being useful in combat.

Zark2099 said:
Anyhow, even if we resolve to adding this, Multilingualism is a better umbrella term for this and other related powers,so I'd suggest using that and then adding Omnilingualism as a subtype.
I would preferably like this addressed, as more characters are multilingual than omnilingual

Multilingual is just knowing multiple languages, which is different from what I'm proposing and actually is an intelligence feat imo.

Edit:

Unless people think that needs a place on the page too?

Yeah Omnilingual while imo is like an ability or devine gift as you could literally talk or read any lanugage. Like if I took 3 months to make my own language. How to read it effectively and sound out the words. How to perfectly construct a sentence with said words. Then burn all the information leaving me the only person who knows the language. A person with this ability will some how know the language even after I destroyed all the traces of how to learn, read, and speak it. Thats borderline broken.

While Multilingual just allow you to learn multiple languages however you would actually have to study and learn it. By me burning all traces of said lanague he/she would not be able to learn it.

I do not see the harm in an "Omnilingualism" page.

Is somebody willing to create such a page?

It will be named "auto-translation" or something similar correct? Omnilinguism implies knowing all languages but according to the OP, the ability is supposed to be understanding languages you didn't have prior knowledge of

Well, they do have a lot more clear applications in combat than translation.

Just pointing that out, I do not personally have a problem with non combat abilities

Alternate Future Display would, at the very very most, distract someone. Technically, you could also do that if you speak a very strange alien language. Social Influencing probably relies entirely on outside help to be combat applicable, so it's not tecnically useful if the character is fighting one-on-one, unless they can influence the person they fight.

The ability to trick your opponents and influence then with words can be useful in many fights, and many characters are incredible able in this regard

Guess you do have a point with AFD

Well, if it were added, all Asgardians (via Allspeak), Nova Corps (via Nova Corp helmet) and Fantastic Four (via the Universal Translator) in the Marvel Comics, and Captain Marvel and Star-Lord (via Universal Translator Implant) from the MCU will have this ability as well. And if someone were to add Cypher (Marvel Comics)'s profile as well, we'll have a combat applicable example of it as well.

I am fine with calling the ability "Automatic Translation" instead of "Omnilingualism".

Is somebody experienced willing to write such a page then?

"Automatic Translation is the ability to understand and utilize verbal or non-verbal communication without any prior knowledge of the language.

Some characters with this ability are limited in some way, such as only translating verbal communication or text. While others can translate virtually any form of communication automatically."

I think that's a decent baseline. Although I have no idea what could be a good picture displaying such an ability.

Idk maybe a pic of it being used in Shield Hero? Don't remember if Arifureta's anime ever showed the language comprehension skill, but i don't even wanna think about Arifureta's anime.

For users Shield Hero has it so does Arifureta, and probably a bunch of other isekai's, particularly ones where the user is transported to another world not reincarnated.

Thing is, in Shield Hero it's sorta offhandedly mentioned here and there in the middle of the story.

I would have to watch several episodes and read several chapters before it comes up.

Edit:

Unless someone happens to have a scan of it being mentioned somewhere.

I mean it can be useful if you put two characters in a fight and one is the kind of using words to do something it can come in hand usually we just ignore language barrier though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back