• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A messed up structure for long tabber sections

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Damage. I think that the template looks much more intuitive/easier to notice at the top. We already have the categories, the topic forum links, the machups, and the references at the bottom. It would be out of place there, be much harder to notice, and turn this section even more cluttered in my opinion. We also already have a convention of placing these sections at the top of the pages.

However, a large part of the reason for switching is that our old tabbers look bad in mobile viewing mode, so I would appreciate more information about how this new template would look on mobile phones before we make a decision.

Also, if it is possible to have it switch colours depending on light and dark modes, that would be very useful, yes.

Yeah, I agree I'm this case its best to ignore other Wiki's standards and go with what's best for what we are attempting to do. Also I'm pretty sure other Wiki's do the same think where they have linked to like History, Abilities, Relationships, and Trivia linked to different pages in a box at the top.

Edit: Went on mobile site, seemed fine.

We should also remember that most of our visitors are casual and only check one page unless they get incentives to click on more, so placing links to other versions of popular characters that they like clearly visible will give them incentives to explore more pages, and make them interested in the wiki as a whole, which makes them return later and increase our visitor statistics and continuous growth and ability to remain as a community in the long run.

Last edited:
Okay. Thank you. Please remember to take hex code colour samples, so it properly matches both of the layouts.

We should have only 1 tabber with 2 options in it; the current version of the character where the tabber is and next to it the word "Disambiguation" in it linking to a page called "[Name of the character] (Disambiguation)" that has all versions of the character in it in a better order like this
  • "[Character] ([OG version]), 1985
  • [Character] ([videogame version]), 1998
  • [Character] ([Awful disney remake version]), 2022
  • Etc."
Each at the end pointing out the year & month in which they came out so we can list all versions in chronological order, unlike the mess we do with out current tabbers. And that way we only have to update that 1 page rather than all the profiles for all versions of the characters with a new version is made, which is info that people following it doesn't necessarily care. Same with being in a profile and having to see all the versions of the characters in their tabbers, this always happening even after the first time seeing the profile and confirming that yes, this was the profile they wanted to see. Otherwise how many more versions of Superman do we need until this becomes annoying? 10? 15? We will have at least 1 more with the new Injustice series, maybe 2 if they reach his defeat.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of making the user have to navigate to a disambiguation page every time they want to navigate to another version of the character.

I do think updating current disambiguation pages with chronological information could be handy though.

We can try making a Disambiguation hierarchy for these long list characters, so Spider-Man would have disambiguation pages like "Spider-Man (Comics)", "Spider-Man (Games)", Spider-Man (TV)" and etc, with us listing only pages in the subcategory, within the files.

That I reckon can significantly ease the listing and format.

(Unsure if this has already been suggested, I'm just responding directly to OP)

I agree with Damage. I think that the template looks much more intuitive/easier to notice at the top. We already have the categories, the topic forum links, the machups, and the references at the bottom. It would be out of place there, be much harder to notice, and turn this section even more cluttered in my opinion. We also already have a convention of placing these sections at the top of the pages.
We should also remember that most of our visitors are casual and only check one page unless they get incentives to click on more, so placing links to other versions of popular characters that they like clearly visible will give them incentives to explore more pages, and make them interested in the wiki as a whole, which makes them return later and increase our visitor statistics and continuous growth and ability to remain as a community in the long run.
What about this Elizhaa?

Ok I missed to see Damage's template. It's good but I have some problems with it,
  • We still need to constantly update profile to update their templates when people following them may not care, as it's not a change to the character themselves they followed.
  • We still do nothing to make people add new versions of characters in chronological order, nor do we do something to fix profiles that were already added in a random order.
  • Minor, but by putting the template at the end it can't necessarily be used to inform a user that they're in a wrong page at the start if they are, meaning that newer users would notice the error by themselves and search for the right page for as long as it may take them, whereas if the template was at the start they would see that right away and click at the correct page.
  • The template will still be filled with too many pages in the future, we just made them smaller to see.
  • A disambiguation page will have the space to call versions of characters with alt. ways in which they're known by fans or in-universe, for example "Pre-Crisis" Superman being Earth-One Superman, as that's the name of his universe. In this case "Pre-Crisis" is more fanmade to simplify things.

We still need to constantly update profile to update their templates when people following them may not care, as it's not a change to the character themselves they followed.

We don't need to update profile to profile. We just need to update the templates themselves.

We still do nothing to make people add new versions of characters in chronological order, nor do we do something to fix profiles that were already added in a random order.

It'll be much easier to fix them in the template format.

The template will still be filled with too many pages in the future, we just made them smaller to see.

Not that much of a worry. It is much more compact than the previous tabbers.

A disambiguation page will have the space to call versions of characters with alt. ways in which they're known by fans or in-universe, for example "Pre-Crisis" Superman being Earth-One Superman, as that's the name of his universe. In this case "Pre-Crisis" is more fanmade to simplify things.

This template won't replace disambiguation pages. In fact the template currently links to Superman's disambiguation page.

Okay. Thank you for helping out.

I think that the template looks much more intuitive/easier to notice at the top. We already have the categories, the topic forum links, the machups, and the references at the bottom. It would be out of place there, be much harder to notice, and turn this section even more cluttered in my opinion. We also already have a convention of placing these sections at the top of the pages.
Anyway, I would greatly appreciate if all staff members here would please consider the above points. Thank you.

I agree with Ant, it is better off at the top rather than the bottom. Since I haven't spoken on it, Damage's proposal is perhaps less aesthetically pleasing than the old one but it's utilitarian, which in the current circumstances I value more. I approve.

Last edited:
Thank you for the evaluation Bambu.

@Antvasima I believe we have approval from Promestein, DarkDragonMedeus, Amelia Lonelyheart, Everything12, Colonel Krukov, Ogbunabali, DragonGamerZ913, AKM sama, MistaClean, Elizhaa, Eficiente, and Mr. Bambu. (Along with yourself and myself)

And disapproval from DemonMitchGodAubin and GyroNutz.

And no response either way from Therefir and Hop_Hoppington-Hoppenhiemer.

Can we proceed with the Staff thread for implementation?

Well, the problem is that we have a fundamental disagreement about whether this template should be placed at the top of the pages, where the current tabbers are placed, and it would be easily visible for our casual visitors, as, for example, you, I, and Bambu would prefer, or at the bottom, together with the forum links, the versus threads, the categories, and the references, as Promestein and AKM have thus far supported.

Well, the problem is that we have a fundamental disagreement about whether this template should be placed at the top of the pages, where the current tabbers are placed, and it would be easily visible for our casual visitors, as, for example, you, I, and Bambu would prefer, or at the bottom, as Promestein and AKM have thus far supported.
Tabbers, across any almost any wiki I've come across, traditionally belong at the top of the page for ease of access & visibility. Since it is currently where our tabbers are, it is the most intuitive place for the template to be located for both our current users and any new users; which will help ease the transition between the old format and the new format.

I think we can look into navigation options at the bottom of the page in the near-future but since this template is fundamentally just a different way of displaying the current tabbers, it belongs at the top of the page.

Yes, I very strongly agree, but I cannot just overrule two other bureaucrats combined.

I believe what I said was that it looked something that belongs at the bottom. For me it was about how it looks aesthetically. That's why I suggested to make the design better if possible.

Functionally, I agree that it is more beneficial to be kept at the top.

This looks better than the suggested change
Id95S8L.png

I believe what I said was that it looked something that belongs at the bottom. For me it was about how it looks aesthetically. That's why I suggested to make the design better if possible.

Functionally, I agree that it is more beneficial to be kept at the top.
Thank you for the reevaluation. That still leaves @Promestein and @Elizhaa though.

I'm more leaning towards disagreeing as I share the same opinion, but I doubt that'll matter much.

Okay. Thank you for being reasonable.

I am don't mind with the tabber being at the top or bottom; though like others said, the design is more functional at the top. So, I think the tabber could work better at the top.

I agree with Damage's proposal, though would this affect every page with tabbers or is only being done to pages with lots of tabbers, like Superman's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back