• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A messed up structure for long tabber sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

As you can see in the example images below, due to that the new Fandom navigation bar has been placed at the left of all pages, instead of at the top, the pages with long tabber sections have been distorted, and now look bad in terms of layout.

As such, I would appreciate help with finding all of the characters in the wiki that are sufficiently popular and iconic to have at least 6 different versions listed in separate pages there, and to then adjust their tabber sections so they look good again.

4 or in some cases 5 pages linked to in each tabber seems to be our new maximum for these types of characters.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Screenshot_20210812-230108_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210812-230122_Firefox.jpg

Anyway, as I mentioned above, there aren't a lot of characters in the wiki with this many tabber links, so the revision likely shouldn't be particularly large.

Yes, it depends on how long the tabber titles are.

Also the powers and abilities tabbers now seem almost merged with the Attack Potency, they're too close for comfort, it was fine on the FandomDesktop layout a couple days ago.

No, that is not a problem anymore. I reported it to Kirkburn in the Fandom staff a few days ago, and Fandom's technical team handled it.

Anyway, does anybody know which characters that need to have their long tabber sections fixed? Except for Superman, Godzilla, Batman, and Goku seem like possible candidates. I might have fixed Goku's profile pages earlier though. I do not remember so well.

If regular members know of character profile pages that need to be corrected, feel free to mention it here as well.

Has anybody here found any badly formatted long tabber sections?

While the list of links at the top of the page looks better like this, have considered any alternatives to the current formatting for switching between pages here? It is still a rather large section at the moment for Desktop and on Mobile it's a long list.

ryHeM0c.png

I do not know of any better alternatives. Sorry.

Has anybody here found any badly formatted long tabber sections?
Anyway, except for Godzilla, Superman, and Batman, which other characters have enough versions of themselves to warrant a tabbers cleanup?

Last edited:
I do not know of any better alternatives. Sorry.
I don't know if it would be truly better, but I can make a template that would be more compact than what is in that screenshot.

Mind if I put one together to demonstrate it?

You can show an example if you wish, yes.

This is a first draft: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User:Damage3245/Superman

I'd like to stress that things can be changed like background color, font size, boldness of the words, etc.

The main focus of the template is being compact so that links to other pages aren't taking up most of the page when the user first visits a page and it renders fine on mobile too so we wouldn't have the current issue of having to scroll past a wall of links before getting to the actual profile.

But with the aesthetics of it out of the way, the main advantage this template format has is that if for some reason a new Superman profile has to be created, instead of updating every single other Superman page to include new links to the new profile, this template just has to be updated and it will automatically carry over to the other pages that it is on. Same thing goes for reorganizing it; if we wanted to change the order of the list of links to put another profile higher up in priority, we could do that through the template just as easily.

I like the format in itself.

The problem is that the exact coding structure is quite difficult to keep track of for most members, and it would be a massive task to find and replace all current top tabber sections in the wiki.

I think that @Amelia_Lonelyheart worked on another template type to potentially replace top tabber sections earlier. Perhaps she would be willing to show how that works to us, so we can evaluate it?

Also, perhaps we could use the deep blue standard VSB wiki colour as a background colour for your template instead of black?

The problem is that the exact coding structure is quite difficult to keep track of for most members, and it would be a massive task to find and replace all current top tabber sections in the wiki.

The coding itself doesn't need to be changed by ordinary users; it would stay consistent among templates and the only thing that needs to change is the list of links / pages.

Also, perhaps we could use the deep blue standard VSB wiki colour as a background colour for your template instead of black?

Sure, I can do that.

EDIT: Changed it.

Okay. We would have to start a massive revision thread that involves our entire Content Moderator group for a project to find and replace all top tabber sections though, and possibly start a wiki management thread for requests to create new templates afterwards as well.

Okay. We would have to start a massive revision thread that involves our entire Content Moderator group for a project to find and replace all top tabber sections though, and possibly start a wiki management thread for requests to create new templates afterwards as well.

Okay, that sounds like a good plan.

Well, can you create a sandbox page for what this template would look like on the Superman (Post-Crisis) page, so our staff members can evaluate if it seems like a good idea first?

Screenshots for what it looks like in mobile and desktop mode would also be appreciated.

Thank you. It looks good to me at least.

At first glance it seems like thousands of pages are using the previous Tab2 format, but a significant number of those are blog posts or sandboxes which won't be affected by this revision so it's not as bad as it seems.

Okay. Noted.

Also, thank you for the reply Promestein.

Damage's format seems better. Personally I tend to think these kinda things look better on the bottom though.

We should probably futureproof it a bit though by making a template to auto-generate these. Not sure if that's what Damage already does, though.

Damage's format seems better. Personally I tend to think these kinda things look better on the bottom though.
The Bottom is messy tho.

The format looks good on the top. The Top is the opening. If a casual viewer click but isn’t quite interested in going through the profile, here at the top are other versions of the character you might be interested in.

The Bottom contains the details of the profile itself; Others (The Profile’s matches), References(The Profile’s scans or links), Discussions(For the Profile), Categories(For the Profile).

Theming, links to other profiles fit aesthetically on the top, before going down and investing into the profile.

The Bottom is messy tho.

The format looks good on the top. The Top is the opening. If a casual viewer click but isn’t quite interested in going through the profile, here at the top are other versions of the character you might be interested in.

The Bottom contains the details of the profile itself; Others (The Profile’s matches), References(The Profile’s scans or links), Discussions(For the Profile), Categories(For the Profile).

Theming, links to other profiles fit aesthetically on the top, before going down and investing into the profile.
I agree with this.

@Damage3245

Please elaborate.
I think that Amelia means having some kind of root template, with the others being sub-templates that can be filled out from a form. Not sure how to do that though, and it probably wouldn't be worth the effort to try and implement that.

I also can't think of any way of auto-generating them.

It would be simpler just to create the templates as we need them, based on the example one for Superman up above.

We should probably futureproof it a bit though by making a template to auto-generate these. Not sure if that's what Damage already does, though.
Can you explain further what do you mean exactly please?

A new official information page that shows our members some code to copy and easy to understand instructions would be useful though.

I think that Amelia means having some kind of root template, with the others being sub-templates that can be filled out from a form. Not sure how to do that though, and it probably wouldn't be worth the effort to try and implement that.

I also can't think of any way of auto-generating them.

It would be simpler just to create the templates as we need them, based on the example one for Superman up above.
Okay.

A new official information page that shows our members some code to copy and easy to understand instructions would be useful though.
Or maybe we can place it in our current standard format page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back