• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A messed up structure for long tabber sections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, should we admin-lock these template pages whenever they involve a very popular or high-tiered character, to avoid vandalism?

Where should we make the thread for this project? Just Content Revision?

The staff forum, but first we need confirmations from the staff members that I called for, and after that I will send a notification to the rest of our staff.

This is a first draft: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User:Damage3245/Superman

I'd like to stress that things can be changed like background color, font size, boldness of the words, etc.

The main focus of the template is being compact so that links to other pages aren't taking up most of the page when the user first visits a page and it renders fine on mobile too so we wouldn't have the current issue of having to scroll past a wall of links before getting to the actual profile.

But with the aesthetics of it out of the way, the main advantage this template format has is that if for some reason a new Superman profile has to be created, instead of updating every single other Superman page to include new links to the new profile, this template just has to be updated and it will automatically carry over to the other pages that it is on. Same thing goes for reorganizing it; if we wanted to change the order of the list of links to put another profile higher up in priority, we could do that through the template just as easily.
It would look like this: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User:Damage3245/Example_Page

(Except that the Post-Crisis part of the template would be bold to signify that is the page you are on).
You need to evaluate a possible replacement for our current top tabber sections.

It template looks fine, but it's very awkward that it's at the top. It looks really out of place, I propose we move it to the bottom. Though I will say having a navigation template would've been better from the start.

Also, it would be possible to change it to fit dark mode too right?

It template looks fine, but it's very awkward that it's at the top. It looks really out of place, I propose we move it to the bottom. Though I will say having a navigation template would've been better from the start.

I think presenting the option to switch between characters versions makes more sense at the top; especially for cases where there aren't a lot of options. Essentially what we do now with our tabbers.

I have a separate idea for the bottom of the character pages but this isn't the thread for that idea so I'll hold off on it.

As for changing it for dark mode, I'm not sure. A template expert could probably help out there.

I think presenting the option to switch between characters versions makes more sense at the top; especially for cases where there aren't a lot of options. Essentially what we do now with our tabbers.
I get what you're saying, but it's made to seem like a lite version of navigation bars, which always go at the bottom. I just think it looks out of place at the top of the page like this.

Yeah, I won't lie that it looks weird being placed at the top, I've seen this format used various times and it's always been placed at the bottom. I still think it's better to be at the top though, it's just a shame we can't use the old system.

Would it be a good idea to break it up by media type as well? Probably redundant since it only applies to characters who have a very wide variety of adaptations...

Comics: A row for comics incarnations
Live Action: A row for live action incarnations
Animated: A row for cartoon/anime incarnations
Video Games: A row for video game incarnations

It looks better for profiles with lots of different versions, like Superman, but ugly for characters without that many different versions imo. I'd rather this didn't replace the tabber sections completely.

Yeah, I think GyroNutz makes sense. For characters like Superman, I'd want this new tabber thing to be a thing, but for characters like Natsu and Asta (who, for example, only have 2 tabbers), I'd rather they stay as is.

In my opinion, once you're past 4 tabbers, you should do what Damage is proposing.

I agree with GyroNutz and DragonGamer about keeping the old system for profiles with barely any tabbers.

I think, for the sake of consistency, it makes more sense to do a complete switch over.
I agree with this. We shouldn't make our standard formats unnecessarily confusing.

Not to mention that once profiles that have 2-3 tabbers start having more, we now have to replace the whole template too, which would cause needless confusion.

As for changing it for dark mode, I'm not sure. A template expert could probably help out there.
Yes, templates can be readjusted for the dark mode separately.

As for the template itself, I don't have a problem with it. Although, I think it can use some aesthetic changes.

For example, when I look at it, it seems like something that should belong in the bottom. Maybe the design can be changed a bit to help with that? idk.

Could be made a bit bigger and stylized to suit pages that only have two or three tabbers.

It does work better for pages like Superman.

I agree with AKM. The colors should be adjusted for dark mode and it should be moved to the bottom.

The bottom is usually reserved for Navboxes, yeah, but this tab replacement isn't exactly a full Navbox either. I think it would have poorer presentation if we listed the alternate pages for a character down at the bottom of the page.

EDIT: Here is what it looks like at the bottom of the page: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User:Damage3245/Example_Page2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back