• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A change in VS Battles editing requirements

Why not lock every page for the non-staff members like popular and higher tier characters?

We do lock all popular and higher tier characters.

That doesn't stop trolls showing up and trolling in discussion threads, message walls, and the chat.

This hopefully will.

Mindovin said:
Why not lock every page for the non-staff members like popular and higher tier characters?
Something along those lines was discussed at one point (locking a lot of pages, I mean). The staff rejected the idea on the grounds that it would make the wiki too undemocratic.

Monarch Laciel said:
We do lock all popular and higher tier characters.

That doesn't stop trolls showing up and trolling in discussion threads, message walls, and the chat.
^ And this @Mindovin

Mindovin said:
The current system of open editing admittedly causes me to turn overworked, as I handle most of the edit-monitoring in this wiki, but the alternative that you suggest would also turn the wiki very inefficient, as the staff would have to handle all content revisions on their own.

Theglassman12 said:
can you see the email in your shot?? If not, then you didn't took a shot of it.
Also I'm gonna give example that if I accidently posted my email here, would any admin remove my posts or images that contain my email address?

I'm getting people like this guy on another wiki I run, but dang. Never seen someone so wholly dedicated to being an a-hole.

@Monarch

I worded poorly. I mentioned all pages like popular and higher tier characters.

Of course, in the end, you know more accurate as a staff member but imo you should go the route of what it's easier to do.

@SB

IIRC, even staff members must create a revision thread and gain approval of 1 staff member at least before making a change, so I don't think is all about democracy or something like that.

Also, I don't think range IP block is effective that much in the end because there are ways to someone change IP and even countries, even so.

Also, topics spot on.

@Mind You worded it fine actually. I misread it.

As Ant said, locking every page would be unfair and too controlling to non-staff members, and it would also result in an increased workload for staff members.

Antvasima said:
I have made the following addition to the first post:

Also, after you have done so, immediate unsubscribe from email notifications due to new edits or thread replies, as your inbox might quickly amass hundreds of new messages otherwise.
I do want email notifications. Also, testing.

Dargoo Faust said:
I'm getting people like this guy on another wiki I run, but dang. Never seen someone so wholly dedicated to being an a-hole.
There is a specific, better left unnamed, individual who has made it his main task to hatemonger against our community for over 3.5 years.

There is another who spent 6-7 months uploading a few thousand **** videos with the vsbattles wiki tag, just so they would show up among the search results when people Google for the wiki.

They are definitely more dedicated.

Oh, no, I was amazed at the account plauging this wiki, not comparing it to mine.

Sorry if that came off wrong.

No problem. I just meant that we have had worse trolls than this one.

Oops! Looks like my email id was not confirmed.

EDIT: Well now it is.

Yeahboiii123 said:
What happens if you haven't confirmed your email? Can you post comments here?
I don't think so, but I have done what I can to inform our members about what they should do to fix this problem.

We may have to highlight this thread again in a week, after the automatic time limit runs out, just to make sure that almost all of our members know about this, and can tell the ones who do not and message them questions about it.

It seems this was one of the first things I did when I joined the wiki having my E-mail comfirmed, so I'm good.

My email was already confirmed, but this seems like a good idea for the wiki to combat the socks, ppl really spending the time to make 70 sock puppets have no lives.

Celestial Pegasus said:
My email was already confirmed, but this seems like a good idea for the wiki to combat the socks, ppl really spending the time to make 70 sock puppets have no lives.
Wait, but I thought new users are not able to comment right away. It takes a few days for them to be able to comment, right? I mean, it happened to me.

I think that only works for discussion threads and editing things. Newly created accounts can enter chat immediately from what I understand.

Wait, but I thought new users are not able to comment right away. It takes a few days for them to be able to comment, right? I mean, it happened to me.

Hmmn? It didn't happen to me.

New accounts have to wait for 4 days before they can edit profiles and join forum discussions. It has significantly reduced our trolling and vandalism problems.

Back