• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

[5th Round of 8-B Tournament] - Wither vs Terrarian (0-7-0)

The wither effect takes a while to kill an opponent. It's combat applicable, but it's possible for the Terrarian to kill the Wither before subcumbing to the wither effect.

It could be. The Terrarian has several ways of healing to slow down his death, but the Wither has its own ways of stalling too, given its Regenerationn, its forcefield which blocks projectiles and its resistances.

The Terrarian has fought with people that have Danmaku. He could just dodge the skulls.

The Terrarian summons are intangible to beings that can effect other intangibles and non corporeals so the Terrarian could just stay back and shoot up the wither while his summons attack at melee range. Plus the Terrarian could corrupt the wither down to its soul with corruption powder (there is a weapon that fires the corruption I'll look for the name of it soon).

Also if none of that works the Terrarian has a weapon that ignores durability and the Terrarian can directly summon that on the opponent.

Nothings stops the Terrarian from easily avoiding the Wither's attacks with his flight and dodging experience while blasting the wither apart with his guns and summons.

He's not that haxy but for a tournament like this he is stretching it. I'll like to see what others think but I'm leaning to them being slightly to haxy due to durability negation and possibly corruption if the Terrarian decides to pull it out (though Hallow also corrupts you and the Terrarian has a canon reason to spread that).

The Hunter's 'I win option' (sleep manipulation) doesn't literally appear where ever the Hunter wants though like the Terrarian's durability negation. Plus the Terrarian has vastly better mobility and if he's a summoner build he instantly starts with the durability negation plus an army of intangible creatures that people with non physical interaction can't hit.

A range build still has a massive rate of fire for all his weapons so someone like the Hunter trying to roll out of the way is just going to get shredded from a mini gun with infinite ammo that also has bullets that somewhat ignore armor. And his Magic and Melee build have their own versions of the ranged builds strategy of shredding the opponent while ignoring their armor.

The Terrarian has terrible hax for the most part, but none of these opponents have really any hax minus one trick pony stuff like Steal or Sleep manipulation.

Hunter also has terrible hax due to dragon weapons, also though I don't want this to turn into a later debate, does the Terraria have a way to counter stealth/invisibility due to ghille mantel into sleep attacks? (We shouldn't be debating this now though so keep this quick.)

The Wither can see invisible beings I believe.

@Keeweed a lot of that is countered by the Wither's forcefield. Also, I doubt the Terrarian can dodge all the skulls, especially given that all three heads can attack simultaneously.

I'm watching a show with my brother right now. I'll go to the main bracket thread about the Terrarian being on in this fight (but yes the Terrarian could track the Hunter with his enhanced senses and his cell phone + a few potions).

Ehh

Guns work for the first half of the Wither's fightbut the second half they all get reflected.

The summons probably just get chomped, so the Terrarian kinda has to get close to finish it off, so I can see him getting hit by a stray Wither Skull while doing that

GyroNutz said:
The Wither can see invisible beings I believe.
The summons are intangible not invisible, my auto correct changed intangible for some reason. The Wither can't hit the summons (also I need to go my brother is getting mad at me).

Edwardtruong2006 said:
The summons probably just get chomped, so the Terrarian kinda has to get close to finish it off, so I can see him getting hit by a stray Wither Skull while doing that
The summons are intangible and the wither can't reflect slash potions so it wouldn't be able to reflect the corruption powder/water/or spray (Hallow and Corruption are practically interchangeable except that the Terrarian is more likely to use Hallow).

The Terrarian also has a lot of melee weapons with range and has healing to survive the Death manipulation as it's slow enough to where Steve's Regenerationn can survive it, while the Terrarian has similar regen.

Genericstickman said:
Wither has NPI
People with NPI can't hit the summons either. You can hit souls and intangible beings in Terraria but you can't hit the summons and ghost and intangible beings can't hit them either.

Also the Terrarian can instantly resummon them with zero down sides.

GyroNutz said:
@Keeweed a lot of that is countered by the Wither's forcefield. Also, I doubt the Terrarian can dodge all the skulls, especially given that all three heads can attack simultaneously.
The Terrarian can fight The Destroyer (Terraria) who has 80 different spots he can fire lasers at you from. He also summons drones that fire even more lasers. Saying the Terrarian couldn't dodge the skulls because he can fire three at once is ridiculous. The Terrarian has already dodged much worse and has much better mobility than Steve and Steve is able to avoid the skulls.

Should point out the Terrarian can also teleport so it should be even harder for the wither to hit them.

He doesn't shot them all simultaneously, and you can't reasonably dodge them all anyway. Steve can't consistently avoid the skulls, generally he just tanks through it. Also, a skull is harder to dodge than a thin laser.

Steve's Regenerationn on its own can't survive the Wither effect, he generally needs Regenerationn/healing potions or protection enchantment to resist the wither effect.

The Terrarian also has healing potions and you just ignored that he fires 80 of these laser from multiple different directions. The Terrarian is also vastly more mobile than Steven because Steve can only run while the Terrarian can dash, fly, and teleport and he has summons that he can repeatedly resummon to attack the wither. Ignoring how the Wither probably can't even hit the summons anyways since people with NPI have failed to hit them.

Finally his shield has only shown to work on arrows and fails against slash potions so many of the Terrarian's spells and the Purification powder should still be able to hit the Wither even with his shields.

The Wall of Flesh, Skeleton Prime, Plantera, and the Destroyer all fire crap tons of projectiles from right next to you yet you still dodge them consistently. I've play Minecraft and you can easily dodge the Wither skulls. I've also seen videos of some of the most incompetent players ever still manage to dodge the skulls for over 30 seconds straight and those guys were beyond incompetent and lack the Terrarian's massive mobility advantage. And while the incompetent people dodging that long is most likely a gameplay mechanic; a competent player consistently dodging the skulls with their only mobility option being running shouldn't be a gameplay mechanic.

The Terrarian has fought multiple armies with people that easily kill him in a couple of shots. These armies usually has a tank or mini boss that has much larger or more unpredictable moves like the Flying Dutch who has attacks around the wither's size plus more cannons to fire from than the Wither's heads. The Terrarian dodged the Flying Dutch man while also fending off an entire army.

The Wither having three places to attack you from doesn't make it impossible to dodge, especially since all three of the starting spots of those projectiles are inches away from each other. The Terrarian's entire stick is dodging as he gets killed extremely quickly if he doesn't while all his enemies can shot at him from multiple different directions. If Steve could dodge the skulls, even somewhat dodge them, then someone that could dash around the skulls, fly around the Wither, and literally teleport out of the way, should be able to dodge the skulls. Assuming the summons don't rip the wither apart, it isn't purified down to its soul due to purification powder, or it's shield can't reflect the durability negation since it's a field of energy not a projectile and thus the Wither dies anyways. The shield also only happens halfway through the fight so the durability negation could kill it before the shield even comes up.

I was just watching some videos of the Wither because it has been a while since I've fought it. The Player (Minecraft) doesn't have resistance to death manipulation and they can survive the Withering easily. You only die if you try to face tank multiple skulls but being hit by a stray skull can't kill you. Meanwhile the Terrarian has potions that completely restore his health so if his regen couldn't stop the Withering, the potion would (by out lasting it not actually curing it, just want to make that clear). And while he can only use them once a minute, the Terrarian can also easily dodge the skulls and survive the stray ones that hit him (if the Wither even could hit him despite something with far more places to attack and far more attacks in general couldn't hit them).

I hate how people are just going death manipulation gg when the Terrarian can avoid the death manipulation, can send summons at it that can be infinity respawn (they can also be summoned on top the Wither), can straight up negate its durability with an attack that appears where ever the Terrarian wants, and could corrupt or purify it's soul.

The death manipulation isn't even a end all to the fight. I've seen multiple videos of super incompetent people face tank the skulls and still survive. Barely mind you but these people were vastly underprepared and they still face tanked through the Wither.

Edit: Just rewatched the Wither fight again. The Wither skull have to directly hit you for you to be Wirher being it by the AoE doesn't cause withering so the Wither has even less of a chance for Death Manipulation to work.

Skeletron can fire skulls that homing attack you and he fires a barrage of them; the Terrarian can dodge that. If the Wither hits the Terrarian it's going to be by a miracle and the Terrarian would survive anyways.

No you can't survive it even if a stray skull hits you in-game

On Hard Mode (aka the Wither's strongest version) it lasts for a good 40 seconds, which is more than enough time to kill the Player.

That's only if the player does nothing to try and stay alive. The Terrarian's healing potion restore's his health entirely so he could survive. Barely but he would survive.

And that assumes the Terrarian is hit in the first place. Considering the Terrarian can dodge Skeletrons skull projectiles. That are just as big as the Withers plus home in on the opponent. It's safe to say the Wither isn't going to hit the Terrarian.

To add on to the Terrarian's mobility; the Terrarian also has multiple shields and Steve with a regular non enchanted shield can block the skulls and the withering effect doesn't happen as the skulls need to hit you directly (I mean in Minecraft blocking the skull prevents withering). Meaning even if the Terrarian fails to dodge the skull he could just block it. Or parry them depending on which sword he has.

Assuming he even gets close and doesn't just let his summons tear the Wither apart. Or purify the Wither with Hallow powder since the Wither looks similar to being corrupted in Terraria and the Terrarian's first instinct when it came to cursed people like the old man and the tax collector was to try and purify them (though based of achievements the Terrarian also may try to corrupt all of Terraria but that just replaces Hallow powder with Corruption powder and they have similar effects of vastly changing the afflicted). Hallow powder can turn a literally demon into a regular man instantly so the Hallow powder is going to mess with the Wither drastically.

Based off the Wyvern's canon trading card the corruption is the reason creatures from the Hallow want to kill you as the Corruption makes beings aggressive: so if the Wither is effected by Hallow powder it most likely is going to become peaceful, or straight up die as the Wither is poisoned by life giving effects, but it becoming twisted into peacefulness is more likely.

But even if you want to ignore the Hallow and Corruption despite the Terrarian having corruption stuff (like corruption water) as weapons and having a canon reason to spread the Hallow. He could still summon a weapon that ignores durability right on top of the Wither and kill it before its shield comes up. Assuming its shield can even stop a field of energy.

Bump

2-0 in favor of Terraria as I don't know who else is voting for who seemingly except for Keeweed and Ionliosite

I literally need to know who else is voting for who since I'm gonna submit the results in the 8-B Bracket Thread so Terraria will advance. I'll wait for a few more hours at most then I'll just enter Terraria in at this rate.

I'll give this my two cents

Firstly, the Terraria ever in an early key has fought against better danmaku than what the Wither can dish out, with stuff like Duke Fishron and the Frost Moon later phases overshadowing it completly.

And, even if the Terraria is hit by the withering effect, he would have healing and enhanced Regenerationn to survive it, while also being able to just teleport away and use the Shining Stone to quickly regenerate all health, or even cheesing it and using the Queen Statue to summon the Nurse to get back at full health istantly and remove the Wither Effect.

Then, depending on the armor class

Melee:

Pretty much shreds trought Phase 1 with stuff like the Fishron Flail and the Influx Waver

Phase 2 the shield isn't really a problem, Reaper Scythe bypasses it by phasing trought matter, Scourge of the Corruptor spawns creature to attack so it wouldn't be blocked, Golem First and Paladin's Hammer are not projectiles.

Ranged:

Phase 1 is shredded by bullets

Phase 2 is blowed apart by rockets, since the shield doesn't block explosive damage

Magic:

Phase 1 ez

Phase 2 ez, shield doesn't block potions, which are magic.

Summoning:

Wither can't deal with 10 enemies swarming him at once, while the Terrarian can just chill back and watch from a safe distance.

The Terrarian wins

Back