• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

2-B Undertale is a literal headcanon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, I feel this line is important for both 2-B and 2-C, as said both of these interpretations use pretty much the same evidence to back them up (outside of a few differences, of course) just interpreted differently. While yes, it might not necessarily be the case, there is very much still a possibility it could be. Considering this, I do feel a 2-B still stands, just not as a solid tier and only with a 'possibly/likely' attached to it, of course.
2-C only requires FUN Values and the lines from alphys, it's quite solid in comparison. That said, I'm fine with this, honestly. I would just like any other minor indication of this interpretation, because saying one particular line "might mean X" and giving a rating is kind of weak for Tier 2 imho, even for possibly.

So I will vouch for a sole 2-C. I won't complain if people decide "possibly 2-B" though. I will add everyone's votes now.

I'm just going to agree with possibly 2-B because like holy shit, this thread was made before the last one even closed, let's get this over with.
The timing of the thread is irrelevant, the opposition's arguments are going to be fairly addressed by everyone if less than 10% are invested after 4 pages.

the opposition's arguments are going to be fairly addressed by everyone
ssrco,dad_hat,product,000000:44f0b734a5,front_three_quarter,wide_portrait,750x1000-bg,f8f8f8.jpg

Anyways since this is derailing i'll just slide out now, I made my stance clear

2-C only requires FUN Values and the lines from alphys, it's quite solid in comparison. That said, I'm fine with this, honestly. I would just like any other minor indication of this interpretation, because saying one particular line "might mean X" and giving a rating is kind of weak for Tier 2 imho, even for possibly.

So I will vouch for a sole 2-C. I won't complain if people decide "possibly 2-B" though. I will add everyone's votes now.
I mean, I wouldn't think its just the sans statement being taken into play here, if we consider that RESETs do create timelines, than consider Flowey's RESETS + 6 human souls RESETS (we don't know how many times they reset, but we know they reset at least once) it is very likely get the size of the verse to 2-B. Sans referring to 'other sans-es' also helps this interpretation, if you want to take this as every sans you meet is a new one, but the line is kind of supporting evidence for Undertale having a multiverse in general, I would think.

Last edited:
I mean, I wouldn't think its just the sans statement taken into play here, if we consider that RESETs do create timelines, than consider Flowey's RESETS + 6 human souls RESETS (we don't know how many times they reset, but we know they reset at least once) it is very likely get the size of the verse to 2-B. Sans referring to 'other sans-es' also helps this interpretation, if you want to take this as every sans you meet is a new one, but the line is kind of supporting evidence for Undertale having a multiverse in general, I would think.
You're begging the question.

We only consider resets as a timeline-creating feature because of Sans' statement. The other 'sans-es' lines doesn't support this at all, it's just means they are more than one. The original statement also means just 'more than one timeline'.

You're begging the question.

We only consider resets as a timeline-creating feature because of Sans' statement. The other 'sans-es' lines doesn't support this at all, it's just means they are more than one. The original statement also means just 'more than one timeline'.
I brung up the other 'sans-es' point just to bring into consideration. Even then, just because the RESETs create timelines interpretation is supported by one statement, doesn't mean its not worth rating, the alphys statement supports both the 2-C and 2-B interpretation, as brung up earlier 2-C and 2-B pretty much use the same proof, just interpreted differently. Although, it seems we already settled with a 'possibly/likely 2-B' rating, so this is probably not much to debate about specifically unless brung up again.

I brung up the other 'sans-es' point just to bring into consideration. Even then, just because the RESETs create timelines interpretation is supported by one statement, doesn't mean its not worth rating, the alphys statement supports both the 2-C and 2-B interpretation, as brung up earlier 2-C and 2-B pretty much use the same proof, just interpreted differently. Although, it seems we already settled with a 'possibly/likely 2-B' rating, so this is probably not much to debate about specifically unless brung up again.
Nope, it only supports "more than one" timeline, which is 2-C. Supporting 2-B is a direct implication that the number I'd higher than 1000. Neither Alphys, nor Sans' "other sans-es" statement support 2-B. And don't try to say "but it opens the door for the possibility", please. You know it's not a support to 2-B.

The only thing holding all together is Sans' line, which only supports "more than one", 2-C, but it's interpreted in a very specific and unsupported manner so that any resets sprouts a new timeline for no discernable reason. It's even contradicted by FUN values.

Nope, it only supports "more than one" timeline, which is 2-C. Supporting 2-B is a direct implication that the number I'd higher than 1000. Neither Alphys, nor Sans' "other sans-es" statement support 2-B. And don't try to say "but it opens the door for the possibility", please. You know it's not a support to 2-B.

The only thing holding all together is Sans' line, which only supports "more than one", 2-C, but it's interpreted in a very specific and unsupported manner so that any resets sprouts a new timeline for no discernable reason. It's even contradicted by FUN values.
Alphys and the 'Other Sans-es' statement support undertale having a multiverse in general, which is why I said it supported both interpretations. Why would a RESET creating a new timeline be very specific?, it is just that a RESET causes a old timeline to stop and a new one to begin, I would think it is rather simple, at least to me. Yes he could mean we are restarting a new timeline, but as said this is just a different interpretation of the same scans, and doesn't exactly disprove the other 2-B interpretation. FUN could just be explained as some specific differences a new timeline has. As said the 2-C I get, but the 2-B is very much still possible and should warrant a tier, just not a solid one, as i've said before.

Alphys and the 'Other Sans-es' statement support undertale having a multiverse in general, which is why I said it supported both interpretations.
And I explained that's incorrect, the fact you have a multiverse isn't a support for the multiverse having a thousand timelines. The lines don't support your interpretation whatsoever, it doesn't even tackle it.
Why would a RESET creating a new timeline be very specific?, it is just that a RESET causes a old timeline to stop and a new one to begin, I would think it is rather simple, at least to me.
Being simple doesn't mean it's not unsupported, specific, and nonsensical.
Resets are stated to:
  • Bring everything back to zero
  • Rip everyone from a timeline
  • Stop the timeline we are currently on, and start one.
I don't need to spell out that Reset is just a time manipulation + dimensional travel ability.
Obviously you can't claim "starting a timeline" is referring to a new one being fabricated by resets, that would also mean "stopping a timeline" would be erasing one, which is something that would make your 2-B, and even my 2-C interpretation fall apart.
Yes he could mean we are restarting a new timeline, but as said this is just a different interpretation of the same scans, and doesn't exactly disprove the other 2-B interpretation.
There is no need to disprove an interpretation that has no evidence to back it up in the first place. The interpretation that requires the least amount of assumptions should be the one indexed in the profiles, not one that requires the Reset function to do something it has never been stated to do. Undertale 2-C only requires the fact Sans used plural, it's undisputably the best interpretation.

FUN could just be explained as some specific differences a new timeline has. As said the 2-C I get, but the 2-B is very much still possible and should warrant a tier.
"Could be just differences-".
"Maybe it is this".
These are not arguments.
Something being a possibility if you twist and turn one weak statement isn't worthy of a tier whatsoever.
Even the possibly rating requires something to back it up, an inferior interpretation isn't going to cut it

Obviously you can't claim "starting a timeline" is referring to a new one being fabricated by resets, that would also mean "stopping a timeline" would be erasing one, which is something that would make your 2-B, and even my 2-C interpretation fall apart.
Well, when you put it like that... ovo

Stopping a timeline wouldn't be erasing one we believe. We believe it just pauses it which requires less speculation.
You can't have it both ways, if Start is meant to create, by the very nature of the statement, Stop will imply destruction, they are presented as opposite interactions on the same context. That's why 2-B is very assumption based and why we shouldn't be indexing it even as a possibility.

You can't have it both ways, if Start is meant to create, by the very nature of the statement, Stop will imply destruction, they are presented as opposite interactions on the same context. That's why 2-B is very assumption based and why we shouldn't be indexing it even as a possibility.
First off, are we really gonna give Asriel, flowey, Chara, Frisk and The Player existence erasure because of this? Timelines stopping means coming to a halt, starting means beginning. Whether or not old timelines are halted or new timelines begins. Nothing implies timelines being erased as they wouldn't be able to be detected in the reports stated by lazy bones himself.

First off, are we really gonna give Asriel, flowey, Chara, Frisk and The Player existence erasure because of this? Timelines stopping means coming to a halt, starting means beginning. Whether or not old timelines are halted or new timelines begins. Nothing implies timelines being erased as they wouldn't be able to be detected in the reports stated by lazy bones himself.
We're not, I'm pointing out how dumb the logic is, not using it myself.

Start just means "be reckoned from a particular point in time".

Like I said the whole thing is stinky poo poo, and people are causing problems because boo hoo rating.
Great commentary mate. The 2-B rating is still based on objectively shaky evidence and should not be allowed to be a full-on rating, and there is not a thing you can do about that.

I see. But still it is quite irrelevant innit?
No. If I'm not mistaken (I very well might be which is why this will be my last comment for now as I'm neutral and have little to no knowledge on this verse) start is meant to be represented as the creation of the verse. Tio is saying it could be the start of the story which isn't a feat.

No. If I'm not mistaken (I very well might be which is why this will be my last comment for now as I'm neutral and have little to no knowledge on this verse) start is meant to be represented as the creation of the verse. Tio is saying it could be the start of the story which isn't a feat.
I...don't know how to respond to that. But I believe @TioKill can

That wouldn't fit the description of start. It would've made sense if the word started were used instead of start.
You can start things from multiple points as long as you have different concepts of origins. In this case, the origin is the beginning of the game.

Hmmm. What about all the other timelines left around by flowey's shenanigans?
They weren't left, they were reset too. You have a set number of values called "FUN", when you reset, you change your FUN value, allowing for different events in this Timeline, unrelated to the player. Meaning these are natural variations between timelines, essentially proving you're in a different one.

We have a total of 100 values, meaning 100 timelines. When you reset, you bounce between these timelines by going back in time and undoing all you did. In the timeline you were, and the one you go to, as you're manipulating time. That's why no one remembers what Flowey did, in any reality.

They weren't left, they were reset too. You have a set number of values called "FUN", when you reset, you change your FUN value, allowing for different events in this Timeline, unrelated to the player. Meaning these are natural variations between timelines, essentially proving you're in a different one.

We have a total of 100 values, meaning 100 timelines. When you reset, you bounce between these timelines by going back in time and undoing all you did. In the timeline you were, and the one you go to, as you're manipulating time. That's why no one remembers what Flowey did, in any reality.
I see.

just having 100 fun values isn't really an argument when it's BASICALLY impossible to program infinite fun values.

I really don't get using exactly 100 timelines because of fun values.
As far as I know, there's no way for you to know how many fun values exist unless you do some datamining or read the wiki.
What I'm trying to say is, if we specifically use fun values to determine the number of timelines, then shouldn't the number of timelines be equal to the number of fun-related events?

Because there's literally no difference between the timeline with the fun value 3 and the one with the fun value 20 except for the fun value itself which can't be seen in-game and no character or dialogue aknowledges.

I really don't get using exactly 100 timelines because of fun values.
As far as I know, there's no way for you to know how many fun values exist unless you do some datamining or read the wiki.
What I'm trying to say is, if we specifically use fun values to determine the number of timelines, then shouldn't the number of timelines be equal to the number of fun-related events?

Because there's literally no difference between the timeline with the fun value 3 and the one with the fun value 20 except for the fun value itself which can't be seen in-game and no character or dialogue aknowledges.
I'm fine with this as well, but given how the data, and game mechanics are canon to Undertale (even with repercussions for messing with the values, Dirty Hacker ending), there's nothing wrong with using the values found in the files.

Either way, do you agree with the downgrade itself though? The evidence for 2-B is far too weak, it's almost non-existent.

I'm fine with this as well, but given how the data, and game mechanics are canon to Undertale (even with repercussions for messing with the values, Dirty Hacker ending), there's nothing wrong with using the values found in the files.
By this logic A LOT of games have game mechanics as canon. Placeholder dialogue for impossible scenarios is very common.

Either way, do you agree with the downgrade itself though? The evidence for 2-B is far too weak, it's almost non-existent.
This is a topic where I'm the "Who the hell even knows?" spectrum, I only comment in the things I have an issue with.
As long as the wiki doesn't use "Chara destroying the game is the same as me deleting the files from my computer" or "lmao wind" unironically I'll live.

By this logic A LOT of games have game mechanics as canon. Placeholder dialogue for impossible scenarios is very common.
Unused dialogue are already excluded from this logic by their very nature.
This is a topic where I'm the "Who the hell even knows?" spectrum, I only comment in the things I have an issue with.
As long as the wiki doesn't use "Chara destroying the game is the same as me deleting the files from my computer" or "lmao wind" unironically I'll live.
Do you not see a problem with having the entire 2-B rating being based around one interpretation of a statement?

Do you not see a problem with having the entire 2-B rating being based around one interpretation of a statement?
I dozed off everytime I tried to understand the 2-B ratings: In the previous thread because I couldn't find the arguments in the sea of replies, here because I have been awake for 18 hours.

And no, I haven't even read the profiles in a while, I just found this thread and got tunnel vision with the fun values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back