• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yu-Gi-Oh! DM (Canonicity Issues + Big Changes)

But the villains from those same anime-only arcs who opposed the anime-only incarnations of the protagonists is fine?

SomebodyData said:
The first season is the most different, everything is mostly similar what are you talking about?
Duelist Kingdom is faithful to the manga in most regards? Keith/Pegasus and the first episode I can understand but there are as many differences when it comes to Battle City.

If anything, Millennium World is definitely the most unfaithful for several reasons.

@Imag, well yeah, they're completely exclusive and original to the anime.

@Marco doesnt he also have those in the manga?

Oh, also this if you want it, or if you think it would be a good choice if we split them into separate pages.

Bakura manga

Yeah, Pegasus still took souls into cards and Akhenaden used it to drag the souls of bad people out of their bodies so Seto can seal it away.

also Millennium Rod should probably get Sealing now that I think about it, one new point for Marik.

Nah I think it can stay as one profile

Does Key: Bakura | Dark Bakura | Thief King Bakura sound good to you?

Of course Bakura wouldn't be separated if it's just one incarnation, you realize I'm still talking about Anime/Manga differences right? As in, people talking about the argument that "hey put both mangas and anime versions on that thing".

You also missed Zorc.

And if we're going to call them by their manga names now, his page would need to be renamed Ryou Bakura since 4Kids swapped the placement of the first/last names. Yugi and Marik's names are already good, it's just that 4Kids did that one strange thing.

Oh , ok

I was thinking that would be more of a "with Zorc" for Dark Bakura, but another tab is good too.

I can rename him now if no one objects

My mistake, Ryo Bakura, no "u" at the end.

"with Zorc" doesn't make much sense considering they're two separate beings, the only thing being that Bakura was the DM playing as Zorc in the Memory World, as was Yugi playing as himself and the other priests.

Why would we rename him now? He still has the anime stats first of all, and we again, still haven't decided which portion (Manga YGO / Anime YGO) should take priority. We haven't even finished the basics because the calc request for the God Cards came out with empty responses, and it's not like we can do anything to make someone calc it. No need to rush for Bakura's change now when we didn't even do something that has Zorc's AP on the line.

@SD

My point was about how the anime and manga are just separate incarnations of the same thing, but have enough differences in later arcs to the point where even character alignment isn't even a guarantee

I can see that in the case of Pegasus and in a minor degree to Kaiba, but that is barely the case for everyone else.

For example, Yusei Fudo (anime) and (manga) may have somewhat similar personalities (Although even that is arguable) but have very different backstories and plot.

But then, you have the Crimson Dragon as a evil god. You also have Terra Firma instead of Neos and a successor who also uses elemental heroes in The GX manga, along with Tragoedia

Ye, they have a lot of differences, thats my point.

Jaden is also more mature in the manga if I remember correctly.

We've made that apparent several times in this thread. It being different's a main point in the blog if you read it.

I just thought you didn't mention events unrelated to feats and abilities, @Ari, thx for correcting me.

If that's just the case then its not enough @Imag

There are some other stuff that was unrelated to my point but I do recall it. I believe in the anime Mana and Atem arrive on horse to Mahado's location just as he dies, but in the manga neither of them are made aware of Mahado's death until the very next day.

That's disappointing. IMHO, it's a shame our page on canon enforces only using the manga aterial, & we must discard the idea of even the anime only incarnations of the characters -& all the associated feats, from anime-only arcs & otherwise- with it. I would think the anime's more well-known than the manga, but I could definitely be wrong. Nonetheless, appeal to emotion & appeal to popularity are not proper arguments, AFAIK.

And it would seem the case that characters having basises for different tiers & the few differences in story don't make the anime a unique enoug adaptation for our Wiki to give separate keys or pages to characters based on things that only occur there.

It's a shame, given the different Millenium Item powers, some of the physical feats, & some of the feats from the non-canon arc.

But if our stance on Canon dictates that we must discard anime-only events related to the Manga-original characters, that's the policy to follow. After all, the adaptation isn't the original work.

@Arigarmy: It doesn't sound like a significant enough difference to make pages or keys for both manga & anime, though, does it? If there is any basis for anime pages, keys, &/or composite characters, I'd be willing to hear it, given my personal interest in what the anime's content has to offer pages for it on the 'verse, but I can't think of much that would meet the requirements.

Is it fine to mix card lore & anime/manga events?: Ex: If a monster that has an AP feat in its IRL card lore appears & someone/something survives an attack from it, is it fine to scale the attacked party to that monster?

@Imag

I said in the OP that I had already personally sided with using the original unless stated otherwise, and some arguments were made about using both. Though since every time I try to bring it back it's shot down, I guess it's no longer thought of as worth using? I don't know.

you missed a few if you're going by that logic.

Elemental HERO Thunder Giant

Elemental HERO Neos

Those pages only represent their anime incarnation, nobody said that they were being used as actual card lore except for you. Though, if you're referring to Goblin Elite Attack Force feat for his 9-A stat, I can see where you're going with it.

Sorry if I sound condescending, but I'm a bit busy with other things.

You will see, however, that Plasma is 9-A via harming Goblins who are 9-B due to card feats in the calc linked.

SomebodyData said:
Not sure, it would be assuming card lore and yugioh are in the same canon.
In some instances of the Japanese anime, card lore is visible. As an example, Gaia the Fierce Knight. The English card lore is "A knight whose horse travels faster than the wind. His battle-charge is a force to be reckoned with." & the Japanese card lore is Úó¿ÒéêÒéèÒééÚǃÒüÅÞÁ░ÒéïÚª¼Òü½õ╣ùÒüúÒüƒÚ¿ÄÕú½ÒÇéþ¬üÚÇ▓µö╗µÆâÒü½µ│¿µäÅÒÇé

This shot from the anime allows us to see & view the lore on his card: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/File:GaiaTheFierceKnight-JP-Anime-DM.png It seems to match up. But that probably doesn't matter much because the manga doesn't show card lore.... :(

Back