• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Your Favorite Character temporarily takes on the role of Pokemon Protagonist!

....By which I mean, they are shunted into the world of Pokemon, in a region of your choice (Or, if you can't decide, whichever region seems fitting.), & are subjected to all the events that happen prior to the protagonist getting their first Pokemon, whether or not said character tries to play along or not.
Alternatively, use a random character instead of your favorite: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Random

RULES:
They're subjected to the events BEFORE but NOT including getting a Pokemon; Unlike a Pokemon Protagonist in their story, the character will NOT be asked to pick a starter. (Getting a starter Pokemon by their own means is possible, though.)
2. Afterwards, they're left as they are, & won't have any more plot elements forced on them, but they're still in the Pokemon world.
3. No matter who you send, they're in-character; SBA isn't being applied, & they're not trying to kill/win, nor are they bloodlusted, unless that's in-character for them.

Optional:
They wake up in the protagonist's house, in the same circumstances as the now-absent protagonist. Whether the mom & other locals are familiar to them is up to you; Whichever you think is funnier.

For examples of how it goes:
Kanto (R/B/Y): The first time they try to walk or run while in tall grass, they'll be immobilized, until they can hear Oak speaking to them, then he'll try to lead them to his lab, but won't offer them a starter; It's not safe in the grass, but that doesn't mean he has to give a stranger a Pokemon!
Hoenn (R/S/E): They end up in a truck in a moving van. Shortly before they leave Littleroot Town (No matter how they attempt to leave & even if Birch is dead.), Birch ends up ahead of them, & calls out for help as a weak Zigzagoon/Poochyena attacks him. He does not direct them to his bag.

Like I said, they end up subjected to the events the Protagonist would prior to getting a first Pokemon; This is true no matter how surreal their actions may make these events. How the events are forced on them is up to you, or you can ask the thread how it works.
& of course, the events can even be maintained by unprecedented atypical supernatural means. For example: The dead coming back as zombies to play out their roles.

Rounds:
Round 1:
The sent character has no prior knowledge.
Round 2: The sent character has no prior knowledge, BUT they are subjected to the "Welcome to the World of Pokemon" cutscene of the region's game. Said cutscene is just as (un-)interactive for them as it would be for a Real World person playing a Pokemon video game!
Round 3: The sent character has prior knowledge.
Round 4: The sent character has prior knowledge, but is subjected to the "Welcome to the World of Pokemon" cutscene, & given memories of their previous rounds.
Round 5: The sent character behaves as they would under SBA, in a Versus Thread, for everyone they meet. Optionally, you may bloodlust them.

Choose whichever round(s) you like, & tell us how they go!
Have fun, all!

Last edited:
Just gonna do Kanto since that's the simplest region, not necessarily my favorite characters but hey I like 'em

Sans: Probably just takes a glance at the world and decides it's not worth messing with, does some checks on timelines and whatever he does in actual UT, and after concluding nothing too weird is going on, tries to life the rest of his life in a fairly normal way/Not much changes/I doubt he'd try and stop Giovanni, though if he wanted to he'd probably pull it off not via Pokèmon battles but just by taking him out personally when he's in his Gym./Memory of the previous rounds might make him a bit paranoid considering the whole deal with Undertale, but I doubt he'd do anything too weird/He possibly manages to kill a baby Pokèmon and then dies to anything stronger.

Revolver Ocelot: Considering Ocelot's goals revolve (ha) fully around Big Boss and the Patriots, I don't really know. He'd be an excellent trainer, though, and I have no doubt he can catch some Pokèmon in Route 1 and work his way up from there. Doubt he'll stick to the story though./Nothing changes/Nothing changes but he probably tries to catch Mewtwo/Nothing changes unless Mewtwo killed him, in which case he just leaves him alone/He guns down any baby Pokèmon and then loses after that

Madeline (Celeste): She probably just lives a fairly normal life. I don't know if she'd mess with Pokèmon training past catching one or two as pets/Same as before/Idk if she would try and stop Team Rocket, she's a good person but she isn't a badass, I think she'd just warn the authorities./Nothing changes/She doesn't even beat baby Pokèmon. Ouch.

Thanos (Infinity War, MCU): Uh oh. He probably struggles to understand what Pokèmon training is at first, since most people will likely run from him, eventually he'll figure it out and considering he's fairly smart and able to take out any early-game Pokèmon, he should manage to become a good trainer- he'd likely abuse his Pokèmon like he did with Gamora and Nebula, but hey, they'll probably become good fighters. His ultimate goal is balance but unless he can manage to catch Mewtwo, he won't even have a chance at it, and even then it's not like Mewtwo's enough for doing that./He figures it out faster, that's it/I think he tries to replicate Cyrus' plan in Platinum, though hopefully with something planned for dealing with Giratina./Previous round but better/He's getting updated to 6-C soon so he pummels most Pokèmon but stops at the strongest ones.

Just gonna do Kanto since that's the simplest region, not necessarily my favorite characters but hey I like 'em

[Snipped because lots of words to quote, lol.]

Neat analysis! (Though I half-wonder if there's too many rounds. But each is optional for posters to have their characters participate in.)

Although I do note you didn't detail how they'd handle pre-starter stuff, inconsequential as it might be. I suppose it's fairly predictable who might save Birch or follow Bianca to the view of the city, etc.
Glad to see any kind(s) of answers, though! : D

In Kanto, couldn't the Legendary birds be notable forces of change for someone like Thanos or maybe Ocelot?

Yeah I feel like Round 2 is a bit pointless.

I don't think it'd change too much, especially with how basic Gen 1's is. You wake up, head outta your room, try and walk into the grass and get kidnapped by an old man. None of these people are murder-happy except Thanos, and he's not impulsive, though everyone would be scared of him anyway.

They're way too weak for Thanos to do anything with them but they could be a stepping stone if he learns of them, but for Ocelot, they're a lot easier to catch than Mewtwo and more than enough to achieve anything he wants, that is to say probably letting BB's dream come to life if he can't bring back the man himself. So yeah he definitely uses them instead of Mewtwo.

Yeah I feel like Round 2 is a bit pointless.
Original intent of Round 2 was meant as a sort of balance, since it gives people information that no prior knowledge lacks like:
1. These creatures are called Pokemon 2. They & humans live in harmony. Some are pets, some battle. 3. Pokemon can be caught & contained/sealed using Poke Balls. 4. Pokemon are well-studied in the setting.

& also it serves as a bit of a troll for the more antagonistic sorts, meant to be funny to think about; Someone like a wannabe mass murder having to sit through that, ESPECIALLY if they have memories of previous rounds or already know most of that, is hilarious to me.
Might be more relevant with other characters.
& most characters probably don't behave super differently from knowing or not knowing the harmony Pokemon & humans have or what they are or how they're caught, studied, or used as partners in battle, I guess.

I like this, I'll bite:

Janus, in Unova. For the set up, I assume he wakes up in the protagonists home, and before he knows what he did his instincts feast on the boy, granting him the ability to shapeshift into him... and that's not contrived, reincarnation into a monster do be like that.

Anyhow, Janus knows Pokémon to an extent. He was a game enthusiast in his childhood, before it pissed his father off and he had to destroy his consoles and pc with a golf batter. So, he would probably know the basics of his new situation.

He would certainly take the boy's role to get a Pokémon at least. Being used to being maimed, crushed and reality warped out of existence, he'd be power hungry early on. Probably chooses Oshawott for purely pragmatic reasons.

He, Bianca and Cheren hang out for a little, and he relies on the stolen memories of the boy to notstick out as they move on.

After that, the groups split up, and he... well, probably keeps the shape of the boy, shape-shifting to look older every now and then. With a world revolving around pocketing monsters, he wouldn't want to reveal he is pretty much a vampire/mummy, and after spending months as a worm (literally and not, since his enemies are on the level of Hoplite and Giggles).

He uses his insane senses to find and catch any rare Pokémon he wants to with ease, while using his own abilities to help out. Against wild Pokémon, he would also let all of his Pokémon fight at once.

Team plasma members, if no-one is around, simply get killed and eaten. Otherwise, he feeds off of humanoid pokemon.

He also easily grabs the stones that the legendary dragons transformed into and just stops them from reviving to begin with, while also killing the king and other enemies with a diamond bullet when needed.

He becomes the champion, eventually ages, and lives out his life happily ever after until people notice that he is not ageing. Though, with the Pokémon world, he might be able to just excuse it wihh some bullshitting.

Last edited:
@Ricsi-viragosi: Amusing as it is, & almost wholesome as it is that the body-snatching conquering horror would just settle peacefully, technically, wouldn't Janus run into problems with some Pokemon?
Depending on the form he starts in (& with some, why bother with stealing a kid's body?), he may not resist Soul Manipulation enough, & since life-draining Pokemon like the whole Litwick line, Jellicent, Haunter, & Gengar may be present. As far as I can tell, he's 8-B.

There's also Pokemon maybe getting disobedient if they don't respect a trainer, & having all your Pokemon gang up on opponent's & then eating victims, the innocent & stealing to power-up your self. His Pokemon might not be completely obedient, & his highest key, only gets to "8-B, higher with stat amps. Unknown in his Domain".
I'd also wonder about his capacity for bonding with Pokemon, since that's a valuable trait for trainers, if Janus is so amoral & ruthless, even as to kill & impersonate a child upon arrival.

I'm unsure about the status of it in Unova, but robbing a museum of 2 notable artifacts may also not be as easy, & could probably attract authorities.

Though I don't deny that he'd definitely have a shot at being champ, even if it might not be for his capabilities as a Pokemon Trainer.

I mean, the museums do get robbed in BW, and the police does nothing, unless you consider the Gym leaders official authorities which... would actually make a lotta sense.

My bad, As I kind of implied, I haven't completely experienced the B/W games, much to my shame.

@Imaginym

Well,as a High Ghilian, he genuinly has instincts that make him act irrationally. Especially if not fed, he would just eat the nearest human - which would be the boy if he starts in his room.

Though, admittedly, if he isn't dying of hunger then he would probably not be willing a child. He has some remnants of civility in him. If so, he'd eat a random guy off the street, or just shapeshift to look a human and live like that if cards of identification are not needed in the Pokémon world.

As for resistance, assuming he doesn't get insta-killed, he can both build up resistance (and since he became immune to timeline warping causality manipulation, I assume most Pokémon save 4 can't overcome that) and if Phoenix goes off (3% resurrection chance for every near-death experience he has) then he becomes immune to whatever killed him.

For his tier, once he kills enough enemies, he can evolve into a stronger race/species (how he went from worm to his current state), gaining the power of anyone he "dominated", that being anything from eating to making them his slave (so, his Pokémon).

He isn't that ruthless, his reaction to another humanoid being was to try and communicate. But since he was burned to death by a fireball at the time, and later he was crushed by a black hole, disintegrated by Aphophis, liquified through transmutation, and causality warped into being dead, he grew a lot more quick on the trigger.

If given the chance to just lay back and relax without someone trying to kill him one way or another, he'd probably embrace it.

@Imaginym

Well,as a High Ghilian, he genuinly has instincts that make him act irrationally. Especially if not fed, he would just eat the nearest human - which would be the boy if he starts in his room.
Quoting the OP:
"Optional: They wake up in the protagonist's house, in the same circumstances as the now-absent protagonist. Whether the mom & other locals are familiar to them is up to you; Whichever you think is funnier."

But I guess since it is optional, even if he is appearing in the place of the protagonist, he could end up eating the boy he's to be appearing in place of. & it's not like there's a lack of alternative inconspicuous folks to impersonate, I guess.

Still, thanks for the clarification.
Ah, I see. They're my favorite generation, though I see how other people would dislike it.
I don't dislike Gen 5. It's great! I just haven't gotten around to playing it through.... (Despite that I own multiple Gen 5 games....)

If he does that, wouldn’t one of the big boys of the verse take notice and do something?
The issue with that for the Quantum Man, his Lucid Dreamer, & Post Reflected Reality are 2-A, possibly Low 1-C & his Post-Architect Key is just plain Possibly Low 1-C.
I'm not sure, but I think that may be above Arceus's pay-grade.
But is it this version of Quantum Man going to the Pokemon 'verse? Aren't those keys where he's so strong less people & more just abstract entities that have absorbed whole dimensions?

I dunno, I just did the whole random page thing and got him. I feel like even if it was just his first key he would manage to get through a good chunk of the game.

my favorite character is Demi-Fiend

i think it would just be Nocturne but lighter and easier, all regions. If it's TDE, he runs through the verse, but if it's beginning of game, post magatama, he probably retires as a Champion.

However! In Sinnoh, the multiverse is destroyed due to him going after the Creation Trio. I could see him beating them.

Back