• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
I was wondering whether or not the series Xionic Madness would be allowed to have profiles here, or if it would be considered fanfiction of Madness Combat.

I believe it should be okay. Despite what you may think, XM is its own self contained thing with its own plot and characters. Save for one cameo, it doesn't make reference to the Madness Combat series, and in all is only really linked by the base artstyle (which one can see departures from the further in the series one goes) and the fact that Combat was an inspiration to Xionic.

As long as the game is distinctive from the original, has a coherent story, and is notable/popular enough, it should probably be okay. Not if it is too obscure though.

Obscurity should be irrelevant when it comes to having a profile accepted. Unless this series returns to literally only 500 hits or less on Google and nobody could plausibly review the statistics, it being obscure doesn't really matter.

If it has its own distinct plot, setting, characters and is 100% separate aside from making a single reference to the other series, it should defly be allowed.

Wokistan said:
Despite what you may think, XM is its own self contained thing with its own plot and characters. Save for one cameo, it doesn't make reference to the Madness Combat series, and in all is only really linked by the base artstyle (which one can see departures from the further in the series one goes) and the fact that Combat was an inspiration to Xionic.
In this case yeah, profiles are fine imo

Considering how it's about 99.9999999999999999% completely separate from MC, with the only relation being a cameo and the art style, it's probably fine

When you say Madness Combat was an inspiration, how far does it go? (Like what parts are inspired and if are any elements that are more taken from the series rather than inspired)

The design for standard humans/humanoids, though action and stuff is done differently. There's a cameo of a character from Combat, but its not plot relevant.

Yeah, sure. I have a page for it on FCOC already, and another one drafted, so. Amusing that I got asked

I know nothing about any of those

But dis is Red vs Blue.

So it seems the overwhelming consensus is that this is ok, thanks guys. Prom, what profile do you have drafted as of now? I don't really know whether or not it'd be better for me to start from scratch myself.

Kepekley23 said:
Obscurity should be irrelevant when it comes to having a profile accepted. Unless this series returns to literally only 500 hits or less on Google and nobody could plausibly review the statistics, it being obscure doesn't really matter.

If it has its own distinct plot, setting, characters and is 100% separate aside from making a single reference to the other series, it should defly be allowed.
Obscurity versus popularity is an important qualifier, as we would otherwise blur the line with hosting a massive amount of fan characters that nobody has heard of.

We have the FCOC wiki for that kind of thing.

That's the difference between something being published and unpublished (or self-published) though, not obscurity.

Monarch Laciel said:
That's the difference between something being published and unpublished (or self-published) though, not obscurity.
Obscurity/popularity seems like a better metric.

Webcomics are unpublished/self-published, and Suggsverse is published.

Yes, my apologies, but we have to draw the line somewhere. Just because something is published does not mean that it is notable, or in any way different from creating fan characters.

Actually I don't want to step out of line, it very well could be self-published. I'm not sure about the requirements to get on Amazon.

Perhaps publishing could work as a good yardstick, but unpublished/self-published works (like Undertale was for a while) with immense popularity would still deserve profiles.

Yes, we are not overly strict with notability, but we cannot allow works with very few readers or viewers. We would be swarmed wih profiles that nobody knows enough about to properly evaluate.

No, we wouldn't. Hasn't happened before, and people would do it regardless of our rules.

Well, to stay on the safe side, I still think that we shouldn't allow works with just a few hundred readers. My apologies.

I don't see how popularity can be relevant at all.

The only thing that should really matter is that at least a user can provide scans/explanations for stats and powers.

Popularity doesn't mean more accurate pages. Just look at how long it took to fix our Naruto pages, despite how popular it is

Even if a user provides scans and explanations, they can still be misleading or taken out of context.

Yes, it is extremely hard to verify the information if nobody knows about the verse, and we would risk to approve lots of extremely badly written incoherent obscure nonsense with ridiculously inflated power levels, in the Suggsverse manner.

I think that it is safer to keep some restrictions for what we allow here.

Agnaa said:
Even if a user provides scans and explanations, they can still be misleading or taken out of context.
That applies to literally every series though. And popularity is not relevant for that, the only thing that matters is that someone is able to double check.

Popularity =/= having supporters here.

Besides, if people see that pages are inaccurate, they'll simply make a CRT to fix them. I joined the wiki for this reason, for example.

Well, I still stand by my earlier statements and viewpoints.

Kinda hard to define a standard and verify the popularity level of some of "published yet not-so-popular" works.

I believe i've made a super obscure anime character here.

I mainly refer to characters from works that have at most been seen by a few hundred people, not actual anime series.

I mean, like... Xionic Madness has thousands of views

Yes, that should be fine. I am just saying that generally speaking, it is probably a wise precaution to not allow any published work whatsoever that has almost no popularity at all.

I mean realistically speaking, if almost no one saw the character to begin with, the chances of someone creating a page here are low to say the least.

The chances of this happening so often that it becomes a big issue are basically 0%.

Back