• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why no Calc stacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said anything about statuing bullets lmao?
But that's the type of speed you'd get if you did Character A dodged a bullet, and Character B dodged character A's punch using the speed of him dodging the bullet.
It's very easy to inflate shit with basic calc stacking, it's not even funny. That wouldn't be on the author, that'd be on the nerds on the internet who try to rat out big numbers in totally unintended methods and domino chains, aka calc stacking, aka bad.

But again, calc stacking should just be limited to what doesn't create contradictions
So never then? Let me make this very simple to comprehend for you, say we have a fight between two dudes. Dude A has a mach 1 speed feat. Dude B is unknown.

Dude B dodges a punch from Dude A, we calc that as if it was mach 1, the calc gets the Dude B dodge to be Mach 1.8. Oh cool
Dude B punches Dude A, he dodges, treating Dude B's punch at mach 1.8 based off the previous calc, we get dude A to be mach 2. Uh oh.
Dude B retaliates and punches Dude A, this time it strikes, treating Dude A as Mach 2, we get Dude B at mach 5 from that. Uhhhhhhh.
Dude A in turn counters, gets mach 10, huh.

All because we decided to calc them dodging each other's blows.
That isn't even really a hypothetical either, I'm thinking of some specific fights in my head where such a thing like that would happen.

That's one of a billion examples as to why even humoring the concept of calc stacking is asinine.
when it comes to characters who constantly train and shit and have decent amount of time between feats like that, then being faster than their past self is pretty justifiable.
If they constantly train and shit, they're probably also whipping out new feats, just use those. Being faster than their past self is obviously ok, but that's why we have "At least" and "higher" in cases they lack feats, which usually doesn't happen.
Calc stacking would be limited, but there are plenty cases where it can work like the 5-C boros calc
Limited? Why? That's arbitrary, either you let calc stacking be a thing, or you don't. Arbitrarily limiting it is just hiding the fact it's actual insanity and tends to outright inflate and ignore shit far beyond that intent. If you have to limit it, that's a huge red flag as to why it's bad.

tldr calc stack bad, big number not bad but big number via stacking what is effectively already fanon stuff is bad and is an extra layer, sometimes multiple layers, between what we list and what the author put to paper.

it's quite shrimple
shrimp-its-as-shrimple-as-that.gif

Who said anything about statuing bullets lmao?
But that's the type of speed you'd get if you did Character A dodged a bullet, and Character B dodged character A's punch using the speed of him dodging the bullet.
It's very easy to inflate shit with basic calc stacking, it's not even funny. That wouldn't be on the author, that'd be on the nerds on the internet who try to rat out big numbers in totally unintended methods and domino chains, aka calc stacking, aka bad.

So never then? Let me make this very simple to comprehend for you, say we have a fight between two dudes. Dude A has a mach 1 speed feat. Dude B is unknown.

Dude B dodges a punch from Dude A, we calc that as if it was mach 1, the calc gets the Dude B dodge to be Mach 1.8. Oh cool
Dude B punches Dude A, he dodges, treating Dude B's punch at mach 1.8 based off the previous calc, we get dude A to be mach 2. Uh oh.
Dude B retaliates and punches Dude A, this time it strikes, treating Dude A as Mach 2, we get Dude B at mach 5 from that. Uhhhhhhh.
Dude A in turn counters, gets mach 10, huh.

All because we decided to calc them dodging each other's blows.
That isn't even really a hypothetical either, I'm thinking of some specific fights in my head where such a thing like that would happen.

That's one of a billion examples as to why even humoring the concept of calc stacking is asinine.

If they constantly train and shit, they're probably also whipping out new feats, just use those. Being faster than their past self is obviously ok, but that's why we have "At least" and "higher" in cases they lack feats, which usually doesn't happen.

Limited? Why? That's arbitrary, either you let calc stacking be a thing, or you don't. Arbitrarily limiting it is just hiding the fact it's actual insanity and tends to outright inflate and ignore shit far beyond that intent. If you have to limit it, that's a huge red flag as to why it's bad.

tldr calc stack bad, big number not bad but big number via stacking what is effectively already fanon stuff is bad and is an extra layer, sometimes multiple layers, between what we list and what the author put to paper.
disagree FRA

stacked calcs are technically more correct than completely non stacked calcs, people just don't like big numbers even when the feat would technically be proof of said number
it's why discord servers are >>>> vs wiki profiles
First off, L take. Second, then why are you here if our profiles are so bad? 🗿

The more you stack calcs, the further you stray from the canon until you end up with a Sub-Relativistic character getting tagged by a pistol shot. Also, just as you say we apparently dislike big numbers, I could easily say that those in favor of calc stacking just like big numbers, upgrades, etc.

`> stacked calcs are technically more correct than completely non stacked calcs, people just don't like big numbers even when the feat would technically be proof of said number

I can't believe Ziller tried to use the "The feat existing is proof that it's not an outlier" argument.
uh, I was a little wrong but, I don't think outliers have anything to do with the reason why calc stacking can be bad

Well you mentioned it earlier in the thread as an okay form of calc stacking... which is wrong

Also, next century, damn. With a timeframe like that, I would just feel sorry if it did not happen

I am honestly surprised this thread has remained open for this long and that the Bleach thing hasn't been sent to be handled to another thread AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AS PER THE CASE-BY-CASE, VERSE-BY-VERSE BASIS to determine whether that shit was calc-stacking or not.

"**** Stacking" is just about putting chickens on top of each other, the fact you instantly thought he was talking about penis means you got dick on the brain. Which is fine, i'm not judging......
Damn no need to do the poor guy dirty like this

"**** Stacking" is just about putting chickens on top of each other, the fact you instantly thought he was talking about penis means you got dick on the brain. Which is fine, i'm not judging......
I blame Tony for this bullshit. If he didn't slander my name it would indeed be about chickens being stacked on top of each other. But it's not. And once again, I am the one who suffers.

Its because of appeal to incredulity
First off, L take. Second, then why are you here if our profiles are so bad? 🗿

The more you stack calcs, the further you stray from the canon until you end up with a Sub-Relativistic character getting tagged by a pistol shot. Also, just as you say we apparently dislike big numbers, I could easily say that those in favor of calc stacking just like big numbers, upgrades, etc.
"The further you stray from the canon" So you're saying calcs is straying from canon?

That's a strawman. Try again. The fact that you're saying calc stacking is only not used because of incredulity is telling me something.

Its because of appeal to incredulity

"The further you stray from the canon" So you're saying calcs is straying from canon?
Yes, calcs are straying from canon.

The vast majority of calcs involve at least one or two assumptions in order to make them work- like the material of what was destroyed, the height of an object, the fact that illustrators aren't robots so nothing on the page is going to be size-scaled perfectly, and so on.

Calcs upon calcs thus build the blogger's assumptions upon other blogger's assumptions, meaning less and less numbers are going to be based on stuff in the story, and more on whatever the blogger thinks makes sense.

As someone who has single handedly created all the calcs and all the pages in a Verse, I can say with confidence that I could redo some of those calcs, and make new calcs which raise the most of the verse from 9-B and 9-A, with the Top Tiers at 8-C, to 8-C and 8-B, with the Top Tiers at 7-C (A jump of over1000 times), and they would be just as valid as the current ratings.

Calcs are, at best, an approximation, and at worst total bullshit. (Not to discredit calcs of course- I love doing calcs, but I also recognize that they are not the same as canon)

Last edited:
That's a strawman. Try again. The fact that you're saying calc stacking is only not used because of incredulity is telling me something.
You literally said that more calc stacking means more straying away from canon, which would imply calcing is straying away from canon. Why is it that making a calc for a guy dodging a bullet is fine, but if you stack the calc it just becomes invalid? If you end up with a sub-relativistic character getting tagged by a pistol, that would mean either there's an inconsistency or that the gun is sub relativistic

Yes, calcs are straying from canon.

The vast majority of calcs involve at least one or two assumptions in order to make them work- like the material of what was destroyed, the height of an object, the fact that illustrators aren't robots so nothing on the page is going to be size-scaled perfectly, and so on.

Calcs upon calcs thus build the blogger's assumptions upon other blogger's assumptions, meaning less and less numbers are going to be based on stuff in the story, and more on whatever the blogger thinks makes sense.

As someone who has single handedly created all the calcs and all the pages in a Verse, I can say with confidence that I could redo some of those calcs, and make new calcs which raise the most of the verse from 9-B and 9-A, with the Top Tiers at 8-C, to 8-C and 8-B, with the Top Tiers at 7-C (A jump of over1000 times), and they would be just as valid as the current ratings.

Calcs are, at best, an approximation, and at worst total bullshit. (Not to discredit calcs of course- I love doing calcs, but I also recognize that they are not the same as canon)
Everything is an assumption. You interpret fiction by reading it, then making a logical assumption based on whatever info you have.

The assumptions are literally based on the story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back