• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why is Human and Athlete level so...low?

I'll make this simple as this actually bothered me for over a year now. The upper limit for Human level seems quite low; a measly 100 joules.
An average person can easily break past this limit. especially with kicks. This is because legs have a lot more mass than an arm, and a kick is also faster than a punch, which would greatly increase the kinetic energy in compared to a punch.

Lets say an average person weighs 65kg.
This shows how much mass body segments weigh.

Since a kick uses the entire leg, I will use the total leg mass.
Average male leg mass: 10.855kg
Average female leg mass: 11.96kg

As for the speed, I will use a low, mid, and high end; 5 m/s, 7.7 m/s, and 19.2 m/s
(Reason for 19.2 m/s is that it's the speed of a roundhouse kick, according to Page 14 of this thesis from Iowa State University)

Male
Low End: 10.855kg / 2 * 5 m/s^2 = ~136.063 joules (Athlete level)
Mid End: 10.855kg / 2 * 7.7 m/s^2 = ~322.686 joules (Street level)
High End: 10.855kg / 2 * 19.2 m/s^2 = 2,006.323 joules (Street level)

Female
Low End: 11.96kg / 2 * 5 m/s^2 = ~149.5 joules (Athlete level)
Mid End: 11.96kg / 2 * 7.7 m/s^2 = ~354.554 joules (Street level)
High End: 11.96kg / 2 * 19.2 m/s^2 = ~2,204.467 joules (Street level)

(I also want to say that 5 m/s is very slow for a kick)

It also depends on the type of kick as well, as that can change the speed of it, as roundhouse kicks can reach 19.2 m/s.

But prolly the reason why Athlete level is so low is to more or less keep most standard modern-day bullets out of that equation, as in, to make sure a majority of today's modern guns didn't go 10-A.

But I ask this: What takes priority?
The measured energy of an attack, or what an attack can harm?

As I'm pretty sure a .22 Long Rifle can easily kill even the strongest humans, or severely injure them at least. I honestly don't like the gun pages for this reason, as it only determines AP from the kinetic energy of the round, but the actual lethality of a bullet comes from all the energy being concentrated on a small point which creates a lot of pressure to pierce the target.

So, are guns really calculable?
At the least, I believe they should have a "far higher via piercing". Although a grizzly bear may initially tank a 9mm bullet, it can still cause internal bleeding where it will eventually succumb to its injury and die.

So a 9mm has the potential to kill Wall level creatures, especially if shot in a vulnerable area such as the lungs, heart, or head.

Ye, we were supposed to merely do a "higher with piercing damage" rating for stuff like that but that's about it. So far it's only been applied for animas with biting force.

So, are guns really calculable?
At the least, I believe they should have a "far higher via piercing". Although a grizzly bear may initially tank a 9mm bullet, it can still cause internal bleeding where it will eventually succumb to its injury and die.

So a 9mm has the potential to kill Wall level creatures, especially if shot in a vulnerable area such as the lungs, heart, or head.
Exploiting weak spots by abusing surface area via pressure really doesn't qualify for a tier change tho.

I know. I am just saying that, by piercing damage, 9mm bullets can injure 9-B creatures. So I ask again...what takes priority over determining AP? The energy of the attack, or what the attack can harm?

For example, say person A tanked an explosion a few meters away, let's give them 1.8 tons of TNT (Building level+ Durability), now person B can punch A and can deal significant damage...would character B scale to 8-C+ AP, although there was no measurement of the energy in the punch itself?

I've always found this kinda confusing but thought there was just a reason like them using a different way to calculate it.

I know. I am just saying that, by piercing damage, 9mm bullets can injure 9-B creatures. So I ask again...what takes priority over determining AP? The energy of the attack, or what the attack can harm?

For example, say person A tanked an explosion a few meters away, let's give them 1.8 tons of TNT (Building level+ Durability), now person B can punch A and can deal significant damage...would character B scale to 8-C+ AP, although there was no measurement of the energy in the punch itself?
Energy of the attack, since our Attack Potency is based on joules. We can't convert pressure into joules no matter how you slice it.

At best we can only add a "higher with piercing energy" and leave it at that.

Since in the most common cases trying to calculate pressure can significantly inflate results, like requiring 8-B/8-A durability to be fully bulletproof to .50 BMG rounds or so. (Which was rejected for other conflicting reasons BTW).

I've always found this kinda confusing but thought there was just a reason like them using a different way to calculate it.
Here's the thing: WE CAN'T CALCULATE PRESSURE TO THEN CONVERT IT TO JOULES. It's just not possible.

So how can we arrive at AP by hurting something with a specific Durability? The attack itself does not have any measure of energy, it just scales with the Durability of the target. Durability can also act like a medium to find AP, or that is how I very often see it used besides relying solely on AP calculations.

yeah i feel like real life is downplayed a lot

a basic tackle is
from 1157.4075925926 to 5859.3759375 joules if we assume a 75kg man is running at speeds from 20 to 45 km/h
heck, a 7 year old should be able to do 3x the amount of energy with a tackle (i was 7 and was around 25kg in weight, i could run 60 meters in 12 seconds if i remember correctly which would mean my tackle is 300+joules)

yeah i feel like real life is downplayed a lot

a basic tackle is
from 1157.4075925926 to 5859.3759375 joules if we assume a 75kg man is running at speeds from 20 to 45 km/h
heck, a 7 year old should be able to do 3x the amount of energy with a tackle (i was 7 and was around 25kg in weight, i could run 60 meters in 12 seconds if i remember correctly which would mean my tackle is 300+joules)
We do not scale tackles to striking strength or dura for very obvious reasons. A punch of 1000 J would obviously hurt more than getting tackled with 1000 J due to the tackle's energy not spreading all over your body, unless of course you're rammed into a wall.

Also it's not as if we just let anyone tackling also get a dura upgrade because of that, because ordinary people are seriously not gonna walk away from tackling someone into a wall with full force without suffering some serious injuries, unless of course you're some superhuman freak busting through poorly-cemented brick walls for a living (Which has happened before, but still, not something you'd want to repeat over and over again).

How about...if you literally slam into a wall? All of that force would be transferred into your body the moment you hit the wall due to Newton's 3rd law. Which sounds good enough for a durability feat....and I am talking from experience here.

even then it is still more than freaking 100 joules
Also those tackles into a wall will more or less kill you, especially if you're not some pro NFL player/rugby player where tackles are sort of the norm.

How about...if you literally slam into a wall? All of that force would be transferred into your body the moment you hit the wall due to Newton's 3rd law. Which sounds good enough for a durability feat....and I am talking from experience here.
Uhhhhhhhhh, I already mentioned this.
unless of course you're rammed into a wall.

Laughs in childhood backstory Yeah, I ran FULL sprint into a wall when I was younger and barely felt a thing

i just think that we really do need to revise it as even then punches are generally greater in energy than what we have here

In the case where the person does not get rammed into a wall, this is the equation to find out how much of the impact energy the person getting rammed scales to:

FinalSpeed = (Massof the car*Initial Impact Speed) / (Mass of the person Person+Mass of the Car)

Then when you get the final speed result, you use the normal KE formula with the velocity value being the same as the final speed value.

Crashing into a wall can be painful, and if stroke in the head it may knock you off, but its far from killing you.

Either way, that would still have been higher than Human level, and this was as a 7 year old child
It would qualify as AP, yes, but not as standard run-of-the-mill AP, and it sure as hell would not apply to your striking strength or dura normally, considering the injuries it can result in. Unless you're a big buff NFL player. And even then, full-speed tackles can be nasty, if not outright fatal.

But disregarding everything off topic...
Even standard kicks are Street level, and I refuse to believe this to be an outlier since kicks are extremely common in fights, even street fights with your average Joe.

But disregarding everything off topic...
Even standard kicks are Street level, and I refuse to believe this to be an outlier since kicks are extremely common in fights, even street fights with your average Joe.
This would only apply to professional martial artists and MMA fighters tho, not your average joe.

Back