• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why are characters that are canonically limited to their game world,rated so high?

In the story of DDLC, it is shown that Monika knows that she is in the a game and has 'full' control over it as she manipulates the game files. A while I agree that if anything was to fight her in said game she would be very powerful, her reality is that she she exists within a game. Where as the majority of fictional characters are considered 'real' in the respective universes, Monika's reality is that she is a character within a video game, rather than being considered a real person. If this is the case, why does she (and some other characters with very similar aspects) get rated so high?

But even when their abilities are even explicity mentioned to only work within the boundaries of the game/platform that they manifest on?

Their stats are from the perspective of them within their games, and as such fighters are assumed to be on a similar level.

You can see it with White Face especially. The tier 3/2 key is how WF is relative to its game, and the 11-A key is how it really is: Just a program on your computer that can't really do any harm.

My main problem with DDLC is that the character only specifically had their powers because they are in the game, where as with other characters its more a rule of how that world would work. With monika its not she has these powers but is trapped within a game, it's she gains access to the games files and such because she realises that she is trapped within it and wants to spend the most time with you. Outside of the game, she wouldnt be able to do that because its not a game world on a computer that she would be in. You could argue that she would be able to edit stuff like she could edit the game files but that wouldn't make sense as her powers in the game only come from that fact that it is a game and she was altering it's files.

I know other characters are similar to her, and I feel the same way about this to them but I'm just using Monika as an example as to why I feel they are rated way too high. If people were to fight her in said game world then sure she would have full use of the 'powers' she has, but outside the reason for her powers are no longer there and therefore she shouldn't have them.

I personally don't agree with them having their powers that rely on the nature of their verse in a neutral world

But if they didn't have their powers wherever they were from then Sao elderscrolls and ddlc fights would either have to take place in their verse or not at all so the rule is kinda needed

It's also because rating every metafictional verse as tier 11 isn't really what the wiki is about.

If someone comes here and checks Kirito's page, what they want to know is "How strong is Kirito within SAO/ALO etc?"

No one really cares about "Well he is a videogame character so obviously he wouldn't beat an actual human in his verse"

Kaltias said:
No one really cares about "Well he is a videogame character so obviously he wouldn't beat an actual human in his verse"
I do care, but I still need more context as to why the standarts went in such a way.

Because the entire plot of SAO or anything akin to it takes place within the game.

What makes more sense, giving the stats to the character with actual feats, or relegating it to tier 11 "because it's a game" focusing on the real world which isn't even that relevant for the plot?

I thought about that as well. Perhaps there could be a prefix number to denonate the "level of fictioness" so to speak.

Like, 0 for our world, 1 for fiction(the world considered "real" in the verse), 2 for meta-fiction, etc. Using bobsican's example, it would look like Tier: (2) 8-C.

Keeps it discreet and out of the way while maintaining information(and works for meta-meta-fiction+). Most profiles could be unchanged since 1 is the standard and can be safely presumed by the reader unless indicated otherwise. "level of fictioness" Would also be equalized in VS threads so to not affect battles.

Up to "reading the keys and knowing the verse a bit is enough to understand that it's talking about the videogame self".

Again, take Kirito. It's obvious that even if his latest keys don't talk about his irl self they are still referring to various avatars

I don't think Kirito really fits well with this, as it's more him taking the role of a fictional character with the powers unlike Monika whos powers are defined by her being trapped in the game. It's not the same scenario as it's his mmo character we are looking it, rather than the character himself for the most part.

Back