• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Which is better? Manga or Anime?

Paulo.junior.969 said:
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Dragon Ball franchise overall, it's fine, but it's not amazing or anything, and I hate Toei Animation, so, it should go without saying that I did not like the anime that much.
^Me too

In comparison to that, even the most hype fights of Toei often come off as lacklustre. Sometimes it seems as if there's too much animation. Too much detail. Their current star key animator (the one they get for all of their important sakuga moments) Naotoshi Shida has a weird style. He likes distorting and overemphasizing all motion. It has a stretched elastic kind of feel to it. But maybe that's just me

BTW this is what I'm talking about : Naotoshi Shida TOEI

I can already see where this is going. I've explained my preference for the anime before along with other users. No need to repeat myself here.

I'm not saying it's the best overall. I'm just saying I prefer the material in it.

I'm not saying the anime is complete shit. It does have some cool stuff. Some things manga does better, and some the anime.

I'm also referring to the manga focusing all the spotlight on Goku and Vegeta. All Trunks does is heal Goku and cut Zamasu in half from behind like a bitch.

I'm not a fan of the franchise overall, it's pretty cliche and bland. But does have some cool moments. It's MEH. 4-5/10

Not up close. They show it from like a dozen feat away and they're censored by the white filter.

I wanna see those kids die, DAMNIT!

Myriadofmemes said:
@RoyGundam
I'm only making comparisons between Goku vs Zamasu / Jiren vs Goku, I'm not making a comparison between episode 5 and the so called good episodes of Naruto. Maybe I should have been more clear. And of course, I don't really care why Toei doesn't put the same effort in their fights like Pierrot did. All I care is that they don't.
They don't have to. Dragon Ball as a franchise basically sells itself. So does One Piece. It's sad but true and neither of them are ending anytime soon, so they don't have to worry about losing their cash cows.

Some of Toei's other recent works were pretty good though, like Tiger Mask W and Seikaisuru: Kado

People, if someone doesn't like the anime, it is pretty unlikely that showing some cool scenes is going to change their opinion, and if someone likes the anime, pointing out it's flaws won't do much, because they probably already know about them, but they can ignore it and like the anime due to the good things in it, getting into a discussion because of this is just a waste of time.

TeenAngel101 said:
TheJ-ManRequiem said:
As far as Z goes? Not exactly cliche, remember, it's half the reason those cliches exist. Factor in when it was made.
I know. Still doesn't excuse Super.
It all encompasses Dragon Ball as a whole. Super is quite basically a continuation of the same series. And cliche =/= bad. There's nothing original under the sun. I could call almost anything in anime cliche.

TeenAngel101 said:
Not up close. They show it from like a dozen feat away and they're censored by the white filter.
Why though, they were cute kids ... I actually felt bad because they die at the end of the arc

But the manga didn't exactly show Zamasu ripping their heads off and dunking them like a basketball down someone else throat dude.

Also another scene where zamasu, wuth his cool new Stando da turned someone into particles wuth a stray attack.

TeenAngel101 said:
The fact of the matter is that all of them were killed. The fact that we see kids die on screen is serious/dark in itself.

I know, but we can still talk about in a civilised manner. The point of the thread is to waste time.

I'm watching YTP while typing this comment. How's that for wasting time?

I know cliche doesn't mean bad. But in my opinion most anime these days is bad, and not because it's cliche.

It's not Dragon Ball Z's fault if it is cliche, it wasn't when it came out, it just became cliche as time went on, that happens sometimes, it just didn't age well, this is still a problem in the anime, but there's not much that could be done about it, authors can't see into the future to know if it will become a cliche later.

TeenAngel101 said:
I know cliche doesn't mean bad. But in my opinion most anime these days is bad, and not because it's cliche.
Define bad. Have you seen "most animes"? You can't generalize modern anime like that.

TheJ-ManRequiem said:
But the manga didn't exactly show Zamasu ripping their heads off and dunking them like a basketball down someone else throat dude.
Well, the anime gets a pass, because I know they have stupid TV censors.

I think what I'm trying to say is that the manga is more...GORY and BRUTAL.

TO be fair, Dragon Ball did a lot of pioneering. Like introducing energy beams. I'm pretty sure DB was the first and then every other battle shounen picked it up in some form or another

TeenAngel101 said:
TheJ-ManRequiem said:
Well, the anime gets a pass, because I know they have stupid TV censors.

I think what I'm trying to say is that the manga is more...GORY and BRUTAL.
Why does being more gory and brutal make something better? This isn't Hellsing. It's Dragon Ball.

>most new anime are bad.

I mean? Not really, inuyashiki (except the ending, as someone who read the manga, could be better), made in abyss and magus bride are All hot new anime this season, and they're rather decent. (Especially abyss, Bondrewd is a rad dude). Some shit yeah, lots of now stuff is expected and shounen tend to hit the cliche stuff but there's good stuff.

TeenAngel101 said:
Stick to shows by Studio Bones. They haven't had a disappointing release in several years

Also yeah, coming from someone who jacks off Berserk, a fan of Hellsing and a more stuff like that. Pointless gore just for a wow or edgy factor is boring and can even ruin something if pushed nonstop.

Made in Abyss was last season, but yeah. Kakegurui was also well received last season, and then there's Kekkai Sensen season 2 and some random Gintama episodes coming out right now

I think I'm generalising anime like Fairy Tail, One Piece, and Naruto. And the likes.

I don't wanna get into why I dislike them so much, mostly because it's likely a personal thing that others don't share. But I think others can agree on the point that most of the characters in these shows are flat-out boring and uninteresting.

Except for Jojo. Jojo is cool.

i dont care when made in abyss was, the fact they didn't get to Bondrewd's pisses me off. I wanted to see that fight and prishka.

Dragon Ball is that kind of anime that you watch when you're bored, and you want to see something awesome, it's not a work of art or anything, but it is really fun if you try not to overthink it, that's why people like it, and that's fine.

You are describing well established titles. It makes sense that less effort goes into making them.

Also, One Piece characters are neither boring nor uninteresting. The anime is shit no doubt, but the manga is still as good as ever

TheJ-ManRequiem said:
Also yeah, coming from someone who jacks off Berserk, a fan of Hellsing and a more stuff like that. Pointless gore just for a wow or edgy factor is boring and can even ruin something if pushed nonstop.
I don't mean like over the top. More like that scene above where Zamasu just pins Vegeta on the ground and just beats on him near death. I actually felt sad reading that.

I ain't going into dragon ball expecting some steel ball run, berserk, lone wolf and cub, century boy stuff, I'm doing it for good fun, if it throws me a curve even better.

I not saying that's not okay. And I said the stuff about the kids and everyone dying before as a joke.

I like it when there are actual stakes. When there are moments of dread and fear and the character is pinned down with no way out slowly getting beat to death.

Actually making you afraid they're gonna die, even when you know the writers aren't gonna kill them.

That's just me. I like cool fight scenes. But I like them even more with story and drama.

Of course, I agree.

But the same goes for the anime the same thing happened but even worse, they couldnt do shit to infinite zamasu and he just fragged everyone.

Back