• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

When calc's are made and accepted...

CrossverseCrisis

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
So there's a few questions about calc's in general that i've really been thinking and wanting to ask on for a short while.

Whenever a person makes a calc, do they normally make it as a low end for the most part or do they make multiple ends (i.e Low end this, mid end and/or high end that)?

Another one i have is if they get accepted it, and assuming the calc has say a low and high end result, do people normally go for the low end because it's safer or is it for other reasons?

Speaking of this, what exactly is the point of having a high end if people chose the low or even mid end sometimes instead? Keep note that i'm not bashing against all the people whose known for doing this such as those of here and Narutoforums, i'm just asking because it just seems....weird, to even have a mid and high end if the majority prefers the safer end (i.e low end) of the calc result.

Typically, calcs have high and low ends if there is disparity in the scaling. For example, we don't know exact heights and distance assumptions gives us values 10x apart. In that scenario, high and low ends are necessary to give us a good range.

In any case, low ends are usually taken over anything else to prevent unnecessary inflation, except if the canocity of the feat itself is in play, then you take whatever end is more canon. This is so that you don't try to justify endlessly inflated calcs with high ends each time.

In some scenarios, mid ends can be acceptable but only if there is sufficient reason to believe the low end is unnecessarily lowballing it or doing so unreasonably.

As for why high ends are done at all, it is so that a range is established.

1 and 4: Okay fair enough. So a high end is also included so that we have a range of sorts to go by then? At least when it comes to DC and speed calcs, i mean.

2: Low Ends are taken in because it's not only the safest to use, but so that people can prevent from making any potential inflation results, yes? but if the canocity of the feat itself is taken into play, then people can take whichever end is canon and reasonable?

3. I see. That would be alright to know. Like if the Low End of the feat was deemed too low and a mid end was made and added to the calc, the people can go to that one instead. Fair enough.

High ends aren't a necessity, only really there to note that there was an issue or considerable range present. If there is a canonicity issue, then whatever is more canon always takes precedent.

Alakabamm said:
High ends aren't a necessity, only really there to note that there was an issue or considerable range present.
If there is a canonicity issue, then whatever is more canon always takes precedent.
Oh okay then, i see now. Alright.

Back