• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What tier is destroying a planet by destroying it's core?

Destroying the core does not destroy a planet, you'll **** up the surface and everyone on it but it will continue beign a planet, and i think core destruction is low 6-B

If you do destroy the planet somehow, it will be a chain reaction feat probably,

T̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶i̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶l̶̶̶l̶̶̶ ̶̶̶D̶̶̶B̶̶̶Z̶̶̶ ̶̶̶p̶l̶a̶n̶e̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶s̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶s̶̶̶h̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶l̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶b̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶

Destroying the core does not destroy a planet, you'll **** up the surface and everyone on it but it will continue beign a planet, and i think core destruction is low 6-B

If you do destroy the planet somehow, it will be a chain reaction feat probably,
Okay is that chain reaction requires low 6-B power or more? There's also that omni man feat where they hit the core causing the planet to explode, that's multi-continental, so how does that work?

1. To destroy the core, yes, if the planet blows up or soemthing than the writer just doesn't know how core works.

2. They didn't destroy the core, an weapon destabilized it, they are multi continental based on the KE of the planet pieces from what i remember

Use GBE Formula, the Earth's Core functions as Gravity, if the core is destroyed, of course, the outer layers fall apart because there is no Gravity Force

This also conforms to the GBE Definition on this Wiki "If GBE is broken, the particles of the body will not reform or be bound to each other's gravity, but instead drift off infinitely in the direction they were moved towards"

Therefore destroying the Earth's Core can destroy the outer layer of the Earth, and in my opinion using the GBE Formula will be Accurate

1. To destroy the core, yes, if the planet blows up or soemthing than the writer just doesn't know how core works.

2. They didn't destroy the core, an weapon destabilized it, they are multi continental based on the KE of the planet pieces from what i remember
Okay but if they destroy the core and the planet explodes, wouldn't it be more accurate to just scale to the GBE if it's not explicitly stated the planet busting move cannot destroy the planet and only the core?
I checked and they get the tier for the crater they made.

No, because it would be a chain reaction feat, they have the blow up the planet itself, destroying it by blowing up the core, besides unrealistic, is textbook chain reaction and thud you'd only scale to the energy needed to destroy the core

No, because it would be a chain reaction feat, they have the blow up the planet itself, destroying it by blowing up the core, besides unrealistic, is textbook chain reaction and thud you'd only scale to the energy needed to destroy the core
Earth's core works as Gravity, and if you really destroy the core, that means the energy generated it can be measured using GBE

GBE is the energy acting on the whole planet, the core working as gravity just means that the planet will lose the GBE via a reaction feat, it is not being overcome.

Also, pretty sure earth would just compress and become a smaller planet if it lost it's core, because the rest of it's body produces gravity as well.

GBE is the energy acting on the whole planet, the core working as gravity just means that the planet will lose the GBE via a reaction feat, it is not being overcome.

Also, pretty sure earth would just compress and become a smaller planet if it lost it's core, because the rest of it's body produces gravity as well.
Make sense

No way. Dragon ball can't be small country level. Anyway thanks. Also can you post a calc for core busting?

I'm not a calc group member so i can't, i'm trying to find a calc for it but there doesn't seem to be one.

Though the total core's radius is 3486 km, calculating a explosion that big got me 48 petatons, which is multi-continent level, so i was off a tiny itsy bit

Here is the formula:
R^3*((27136*P+8649)^(1/2)/13568-93/13568)^2
R is the radius in meters, P is pressure which we use 20 bar

I'm not a calc group member so i can't, i'm trying to find a calc for it but there doesn't seem to be one.

Though the total core's radius is 3486 km, calculating a explosion that big got me 48 petatons, which is multi-continent level, so i was off a tiny itsy bit

Here is the formula:
What if it's a planet that's not earth? Do I just substitute the radius?

@Thelastmlg
I did a calc. assuming that the core gets pulverized and vaporized by the attack.
Volume of core = 4/3 x 22/7 x (3.486x10^8)^3 = 1.77x10^26 cubic centimeters.
Pulverization of iron = 1.77x10^26 x 90 = 1.593x10^28 J (Multi-Continent level)
Vaporization of iron = 1.77x10^26 x 60915.7 = 1.0782x10^31 J (Small Planet level)
Can you see if there's anything wrong?

I'm not sure about this, but I think the Energy to destroy the Earth's core = Earth's GBE, because the Earth's Core works as the center of gravity / with this all uniting all parts of the earth known as Gravitational Binding Energy.

Is my opinion right @KLOL506 ? What about you, Can you explain this?

Here is the formula:
Not sure if that can actually work for the Earth's core at those levels. Explosion values are explicitly for stuff on the surface.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the Energy to destroy the Earth's core = Earth's GBE, because the Earth's Core works as the center of gravity / with this all uniting all parts of the earth known as Gravitational Binding Energy.

Is my opinion right @KLOL506 ? What about you, Can you explain this?
No, it wouldn't cause Earth to be blasted to bits as thelastmlg said, it will still continue being a planet, but you can kiss the surface (Crust) goodbye because the planet's innards will violently collapse inwards to take up the space of the now-lost inner core due to their own gravity.

Causing a planet to explode and exceed its entire GBE just by destroying the core however, is physically impossible. Doesn't work like that IRL, not without the core blowing up causing a chain reaction.

Last edited:
"Destroying the core" alone is really to vague to say much of anything. Like, are we talking about fragmenting the solid iron ball in the center of earth or...?

"Destroying the core" alone is really to vague to say much of anything. Like, are we talking about fragmenting the solid iron ball in the center of earth or...?
Yeah, destroying the inner core of the planet most likely.

Basically, blowing the inner core up and causing the entire planet to go boom because of that alone.

Yeah the iron core gets destroyed which causes the planet to blow up.
I did a calc for pulverizing and vaporizing the core since the core is already in liquid form though it's probably wrong.

did a calc. assuming that the core gets pulverized and vaporized by the attack.
Vaporization of iron = 1.77x10^26 x 60915.7 = 1.0782x10^31 J (Small Planet level)

No, it wouldn't cause Earth to be blasted to bits as thelastmlg said, it will still continue being a planet, but you can kiss the surface (Crust) goodbye because the planet's innards will violently collapse inwards to take up the space of the now-lost inner core due to their own gravity.

Causing a planet to explode and exceed its entire GBE just by destroying the core however, is physically impossible. Doesn't work like that IRL, not without the core blowing up causing a chain reaction.
I get the refenece from this, Energy to Destroy Earth Core = GBE from Earth

Bad me, I think I misanalyzed about this “Theoretically, the whole Earth keeps together all its parts by what is called “gravitational bind energy”. Earths gravitational binding energy is around 2.5*10^32 Joules."

I don't know much about "Chain Reaction" could you put a link on that explanation? I hope this doesn't bother you too much, Sorry.
Chain reaction's a bit hard to explain since wel... you really can't blow up a planet IRL just by blowing up the core, even if you did blow it up, the liquid outer core and the mantle would just collapse inwards to fill in that space due to gravity, thus the planet loses a bit of its gravitational strength and loses the moon and it loses a bit of weight, while the crust is effectively wiped out, but the planet itself survives.

For a planet's GBE to be exceeded, you need to make it go boom to the point where all the debris just violently leave the line of sight and never come back to collapse inwards again.

Chain reaction's a bit hard to explain since wel... you really can't blow up a planet IRL just by blowing up the core, even if you did blow it up, the liquid outer core and the mantle would just collapse inwards to fill in that space due to gravity, thus the planet loses a bit of its gravitational strength and loses the moon and it loses a bit of weight, while the crust is effectively wiped out, but the planet itself survives.

For a planet's GBE to be exceeded, you need to make it go boom to the point where all the debris just violently leave the line of sight and never come back to collapse inwards again.
Thanks for the Explanation

Pretty sure if the planet exploded after the core explodes, then it'd be 5-B

If the attack somehow made the core dissapear while everything else was intact, then like KLOL said, Gravity will collapse the rest of the planet to fill the space left by the core. In that case, the planet would survive, but will be unrecognizable.

For example, when White Dwarf Stars become too massive, the carbon and oxygen in the core start to fuse into heavier elements, which quickly causes the core (and the White Dwarf itself) to explode in a Type 1A Supernova

Pretty sure if the planet exploded after the core explodes, then it'd be 5-B

If the attack somehow made the core dissapear while everything else was intact, then like KLOL said, Gravity will collapse the rest of the planet to fill the space left by the core. In that case, the planet would survive, but will be unrecognizable.

For example, when White Dwarf Stars become too massive, the carbon and oxygen in the core start to fuse into heavier elements, which quickly causes the core (and the White Dwarf itself) to explode in a Type 1A Supernova
I was told it'd be a chain reaction feat. I'm trying to downplay here, what is the tier for destroying only the core? I used pulzerization and vaporization of iron and got multi continent and small planet respectively. Is that accurate?

Destroying the core and only the core doesn't make the planet explode, so if it did caused it to explode, it's 5-B regardless of anything

Destroying just the core is probably 5-C to Low 5-B, as the core is a lot more dense than regular iron, since it's under immense pressures

Destroying the core and only the core doesn't make the planet explode, so if it did caused it to explode, it's 5-B regardless of anything

Destroying just the core is probably 5-C to Low 5-B, as the core is a lot more dense than regular iron, since it's under immense pressures
Alright so this is accurate?
I did a calc. assuming that the core gets pulverized and vaporized by the attack.

Alright so this is accurate?
Actually...

The inner core consists of a solid nickel-iron alloy, so I'm not sure if that is the correct value to use, we can't go half-half on nickel and iron either.

Also the mass of the core is 1e+23 kg, which I believe is large enough to work for GBE. And it has a density of 12.8-13 kg/liter (12800-13000 kg/m^3) which is an average of 12900 kg/m^3, so that's a volume of 7.7519379844961E+24 cm^3.

Now you need to find the shear strength (Frag), high-end shear strength or low-end compressive strength (v. frag) and high-end compressive strength (pulverization energy) to get the core's destruction value (I only found the compressive strength values here, but rule-of-hand says shear strength is 0.6 x tensile strength, and the shear strength value comes out as slightly above the compressive strength low-end). Though given its sheer mass, I'd say GBE is valid.

Actually...

The inner core consists of a solid nickel-iron alloy, so I'm not sure if that is the correct value to use, we can't go half-half on nickel and iron either.

Also the mass of the core is 1e+23 kg, which I believe is large enough to work for GBE. And it has a density of 12.8-13 kg/liter (12800-13000 kg/m^3) which is an average of 12900 kg/m^3, so that's a volume of 7.7519379E+24 cm^3.

Now you need to find the shear strength (Frag), high-end shear strength or low-end compressive strength (v. frag) and high-end compressive strength (pulverization energy) to get the core's destruction value (I only found the compressive strength values here, but rule-of-hand says shear strength is 0.6 x tensile strength, and the shear strength value comes out as slightly above the compressive strength low-end). Though given its sheer mass, I'd say GBE is valid.
For gravitational binding energy I got 1.14x10^29 joules which is multi-continent level+.
I'm downplaying so I used the lowest end shear strength. I took tensile strength and multiplied by 0.6 like you said.
I got the fragmentation end as 2.06x10^27 joules which is multi-continent level.
If we use GBE, wouldn't that mean the matter is splattered everywhere? That doesn't really happen the core is just destroyed which causes a chain reaction. What do you think is the more accurate end?

For gravitational binding energy I got 1.14x10^29 joules which is multi-continent level+.
Looks like you screwed up on the math, I got Moon level.

GBE= 3GM^2 / 5R

G is gravitational constant of 6.67408e-11, M is mass in kg and R is radius in meters

Inner core radius is 1221 km. Mass is 1e+23 kg.

(3*(6.67408e-11)*(1e+23^2)) / (5 * 1221000)= 3.2796462e+29 J (5-C)

I'm downplaying so I used the lowest end shear strength. I took tensile strength and multiplied by 0.6 like you said.
I got the fragmentation end as 2.06x10^27 joules which is multi-continent level.
Aight.

If we use GBE, wouldn't that mean the matter is splattered everywhere? That doesn't really happen the core is just destroyed which causes a chain reaction. What do you think is the more accurate end?
A core being destroyed and causing a chain reaction means material isn't gonna collapse unto itself, only way that happens is if the core splinters and starts hitting everything else at rapid speed, which is what our theoretical chain reaction would be. Meaning the core can't truly be destroyed if it reforms back again.

So I'm more inclined to go with GBE above anything. And even then, it blowing up the planet like this means it's 5-B through and through at the bare minimum, assuming on-screen time isn't at play (If it is, brute-force KE would take over).

Also, what is your aim with this thread? Are you planning to downgrade Frieza from High 5-A or something?

Back