• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What kind of ability/immortality is this?

Warren_Valion

VS Battles
Retired
So I was reading a story in which one person was given the souls of every member of her clan, to exact revenge on the monarch that set out to destroy the said clan for their mystic habits.

When this character is fatally wounded, she is able to diverge the fatal damage to her stock of souls, in turn, saving her life and regenerating her injuries by trading one of her souls for another chance at life.

I also saw Alucard from Hellsing had a theory noted on his page that is seemingly very similar to what I mentioned. Here it is:

"However, what it most likely refers to is the human souls inside Alucard; it has been speculated that, when damaged by blows that would have killed or incapacitated him such as exceedingly holy weapons, the damage is instead directed to his reservoir of souls."

So I wonder, what ability is this?

I believe it to be a type of immortality, but I am uncertain which one.

Is it a spiritual version of a type 6 immortality, in which the switching of bodies is replaced with the switching of souls? Or is it a limited version of type 8 immortality in where the person will always come back so long as there is a soul to take the fatal damage?

Maybe some other type of immortality not listed, or something else entirely.

I don't know, and that's why I ask.

Edit: Here is a scene that depicts the ability/immortality:

"She stood, blood pounding through her head from anger so loudly that she barely heard the man who shakily pointed a sword at her. H-How can you still stand? What are you?' Her eyes glowed red, and he growled. 'On your knees! You don't stand a chance without your weapon.

What are you doing?!' another man hissed at him. 'We're not taking her alive after what she did to the others! Archers, take her down!

The first arrow missed. The next harmlessly struck her metal breastplate, but the third went through her neck, cutting off her gasp. The glow in her eyes didn't fade, however. Another life bonded to her disappeared, and she gripped the shaft, tearing her neck open as she removed the arrow. Another soul was sacrificed against her will to heal her, leaving nothing but scars on new flesh, and her red eyes glowed more furiously at the men in front of her, whose faces lost color.

'This is the last bit of mercy I will ever show you. Flee.'"

Setsuna tenma said:
But it's not like it's a reincarnation thing. They don't eventually resurrect in a new body, the damage that would have killed them is diverted and the soul that passes on is one of the souls that she has in her reservoir, not her own.

They're more like a shield taken the brunt of the damage until they all wither away and all is left is her.

Type 8, reliant on the souls of her clan. Possibly low godly regen as well, since it sounds like she can only die if no other soul can take the damage for her an her soul is destroyed.

Type 8 for the reasons people already listed.

That wouldn't necessarely give her Low-Godly regen tough, since rgenen, regardless of how good your immortality is, determined only by feats.

Type 8 does seem to be the closest thing listed on the Immortality page.

That sounds to me like Self-Resurrection tbh.

EDIT: Or a mix of Type 8 reliant on her stock of souls which entails said Self-Resurrection.

FateAlbane said:
That sounds to me like Self-Resurrection tbh.
EDIT: Or a mix of Type 8 reliant on her stock of souls which entails said Self-Resurrection.
It's not like she's the one dying though.

It's like their souls are a shield that protects from death. She doesn't die and come back, she gets hurt and a soul dies and regenerates her wounds.

"The first arrow missed. The next harmlessly struck her metal breastplate, but the third went through her neck, cutting off her gasp. The glow in her eyes didn't fade, however."

Then she's the exact same as the homunculus from FMA who have a massive stock of souls and keep regening to full condition without dying until the entire stock is burned from their philosopher stone.

Back