• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What is needed exactly to "accept" a character or verse? (Can a character like Kendrick Lamar be a legit profile? Why not?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must I bring up Composite Human? He fails every single requirement 100%, but:

"we made an exception for Composite Human because of its immense popularity"

Even if Kendrick fails the requirements to be considered a composite character, if enough people agree and like the idea then he can still be made into a composite character regardless.

Composite Human is an exception, as you can read about on its page.

Although the Real World composite profiles are banned in the wiki due to being unrealistic thought experiments, we made an exception for Composite Human because of its immense popularity.

I am aware of this exception. My point was that if one exception can be made based on popularity, than so can another. As of now though, I am still currently debating whether or not he actually fails the requirements in the first place.

The "immense popularity" is about its prevalence within fictional character indexing/battling forums.

We're not going to make exceptions to let characters in due to their mainstream popularity.

Also you're kind of missing the point of what an "exception" is.

Speak for yourself, I suppose.

There is nothing about the concept of exceptions that imply there can only be one.

I mean, if we made exceptions due to mainstream popularity we'd have a bunch of creepypasta and youtube celebrities like Filthy Frank on this website.

If we had a rule of "If a character's popular enough the other rules for inclusion don't matter", then CH wouldn't be an exception, it'd be an example of that rule.

Again, we would not have a bunch of Creepypasta by including Kendrick because they fail to meet the guidelines and rules stated in the OP, while Kendrick does not.

Debunking this same argument over and over.

But I understand what you mean by popularity not necessarily dictating everything, I was only speaking to it in regards to making a composite of a profile.

Of course, I wasn't making that argument. I was giving examples of times where we didn't let a character around the rules and guidelines (not the ones in the OP, those aren't the official ones, the ones Ant quoted) just because they were popular.

But either way, I'm neutral on this, just pointing out weak arguments where I see them.

This is more proof suggesting that it would be a composite Kendrick:

Composite profiles should generally only be given to extremely prominent well-known characters with multiple incarnations, and these should only go by their own highest statistics. That means that external weapons and power-sources, that are not a normal part of their arsenal, should be excluded.

It can also be justified if a certain fiction has multiple spinoffs of dubious canonicity, for which quantifiable feats are scarce, such as most Pokémon and Digimon characters. It should preferably be limited to franchises that actually need it for sufficient scaling, if the different versions are too dispersed and incoherent to make a clear picture of individually

This falls in line with what we've seen from his videos. Multiple feats in any one of his videos is rare, but collectively they form a profile. Furthermore they seem to potray the same character in terms of personality, setting and theme, come from the same source (same author/KendrickLemarVEVO) and do not drastically vary from each other.

I think this is pretty evident that he would qualify for composite in this case.

Is there even an example of a connection between the Music Clips other than recurring elements? That would just be a repeat of the whole deal with Composite Profiles that were rejected because they were a mish-mash of a bunch of characters only related by the fact they were played by the same actor

And even if there are, making a profile that is just "Kendrick Lamar with powers" doesn't seem much better

@Standuser No, there isn't.

For reference of anyone reading, here's the thread where Actor Composite Profiles were argued against.

Also, I have strong negative feeling with allowing our criteria for this.

It allows the site to have characters who are far more closely related to their actors than fictional portrayals like Norris and Tyson. Also, it opens the gate to much more modern, relevant celebrities.

That just reeks of opening Pandora'a Box in regards to meme/joke profiles, you'll see people going through insane hoops to justify profiles that frankly shouldn't be allowed on the site.

I know that's a bit slippery slope, but the concern I feel is very real.

I think this is different from composite actor.

It's not taking Arnold from Terminator and Conan and just mashing together the abilities, it's taking the consistent writing of one man that may or may not be the same character (with some evidence leaning towards them being the same character, just not strong enough to say so definitively) that share near identical story elements and themes.

Yes I understand this is a tad bit of a slippery slope. I understand this in a way unexpectedly undermines the criteria a bit, but I fail to see how this opens a Pandora's Box in regards to memes and joke profiles.

Nobody has given me a valid example of a meme/joke character that can slip through the criteria by slightly expanding it in this regard. I've seen Jake Paul, but he 100% does not fit said criteria in many different ways.

Unless someone can demonstrate how this provides major issues? Give me an example of a meme that can? Otherwise I don't think saying that "it might" is a valid argument.

Agnaa said:
Because those composite profiles need to meet pretty strict requirements to be made.
I'm not sure that Bruce Lee's characters all share the same name, appearance, and personality in every single movie that he's acted in. I haven't looked into it, but it just seems unlikely. In fact, the thread arguing for its removal states that the characters used for the composite are completely unrelated, except for all being played by the same actor.

Ant, since their removal was agreed upon, could you implement it to avoid any future confusion?
Also I know this is getting off-topic, but can someone verify that Bruce Lee does not share the same name, appearance and personality in every single movie before we 100% remove it? If he does, then I think we should re-do it with said evidence in mind, because I'd like to express my opinion.

He doesn't share the same name in every movie

ex:The name of the character he plays in Way of the Dragon is Tang Lung, not Bruce lee

I will start a new staff only thread, and close this one, since it is supposed to be a wiki policy discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back