• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What is exactly different about Outlier, PIS, and Inconsistency?

As the title says, going through all these 3 pages, the descriptions feel very similar to one another and the examples given are almost the same, so I'm kinda confused here.

What exactly is different about Outliers, PIS, and Inconsistencies?

Outliers, Inconsistencies and PIS have some differences and similarities as far as I know.

This is just what I think the differences are. Outliers focus on feats that are far above the characters normal showings, Inconsistencies focus on more than just feats as it can be for more than just feats like a characters abilities being forgotten and never being brought up again, and PIS is for events that half to happen to move the story along which can result in outliers and inconsistencies.

I know this thread is several months old, but I also have the exact same question. It seems to me as though "outlier" and "inconsistency" are in fact just synonymous, which makes me wonder why there exist different pages for them. It is honestly confusing.

@RanaPro

Outlier:

• Inconsistencies that involves a lack of evidence needed to explain how fictional characters just randomly fluctuate in regards to major statistics such as physical strength (lifting & striking strength), Speed, AP, and Durability (the only difference from the other two; mainly caused by PIS and other inconsistencies)
Plot-Induced Stupidity (PIS):

• Forgetting powers that they are supposed to already know which could have helped them in a situation (which leads to Outliers in some cases)
  • Making obviously dumb decisions that the character would never do in order to advance the plot (unless they are stated to possess Below Average Human intelligence and/or basic common sense)
  • Forgetting information just because
Inconsistency (aka Plot Hole):

• Characters that somehow possess unknown knowledge that they never originally had (The only difference between PIS and Outliers)
  • Characters who forget something that they just knew last week or forget something that everyone in their position of authority must know (also PIS)
  • Events that does not logically follow from what has previously gone before (also PIS and leads to outliers in some cases)
  • Events that occur which other events in the fictional work simply do not allow (also PIS and leads to outliers in some cases)
@LordGriffin Yeah, pretty much so.

Thank you! That clarifies it a lot. So just to see if I understand. If a character within some work of fiction is displayed to be unable to withstand attacks with Island level attacks, but then in the exact same scene, they are shown able to withstand Planet level attacks, and then they never show such a large feat again, the larger feat is an outlier. Am I understanding correctly?

@MindControl Yes, that's a form of inconsistency which is also considered to be an outlier and based on the way you described the example, the character is incapable of surviving Island nor Planet level attacks since you mentioned that they wouldn't be durable enough to handle either one.

In most cases, the character's durability is usually around average human and their higher durability feats must be consistent in order to properly scale to that.

Back