• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dargoo Faust said:
We also have to take into consideration that this might not be a religious question, but one where we might need to take what we see at face value in verses.
For example, if we only ever see soulhax on humans in a verse, intelligent living beings would be the best assumption as that's one common interpretation which lines up with the verse, yet doesn't make assumptions on animals.

If a verse introduces animal souls we would assume most living things have souls, although plants and microbes could be debated.

And after that it would vary greatly from verse to verse, as they hardly go that in depth.
I was actually referring to this comment you made.

SU gems aren't alive in the traditional sense. I doubt they have souls. They still feel emotions tho.

Steven Pogi Paitao said:
Would the Gems in SU have a soul?
Technically, no, they do not have an afterlife or something similar. They have however mind and consciousness, reason why they are still "human".

Sir Ovens said:
SU gems aren't alive in the traditional sense. I doubt they have souls. They still feel emotions tho.
They aren't capable of repurducing. When pink made steven she made no new gem (there actually bodys) she just gave steven her gem essentially rencarrating herself.

Oh wait. I'm an idiot. Latest episode shows that Gems have a soul. But can only be interacted with by other Gems. Namely Diamonds.

Actually thinking about what Steven is scientifically is giving me a headache.

Sir Ovens said:
Oh wait. I'm an idiot. Latest episode shows that Gems have a soul. But can only be interacted with by other Gems. Namely Diamonds.
No actually that's a mind... it's part of telepathic abilitys.

There's a monkey in my head doing backflips as I try to comprehend this right now.

Gems are similar to AI. But based in Stones that have their core Data in them, like an AI on a hard drive.

But, @Darkmon the Soul May have originated from a religion, but it's not exclusive to it, nor is looking at it from the perspective of religion solely a good idea. Though, it wouldn't really be much different if we're looking at Japanese Myths for example. You said, in Japanese Myths, the chairs' Souls and traits are impressions of those around it?

A. that's a fire concept, and if you can show me where you got that from, then that's good info to know for writing.

B. That doesn't change the fact that anything CAN have a Soul.

As for what constitutes a living thing... Anything can be considered alive. It's a definition with arbitrary exceptions. Humans and sufficiently advanced machines are no different. We are both ruled by programming, so if a robot shouldn't have a Soul, neither should we. That's, of course, if you want to get into semantics.

But, usually anything that can be considered a whole thing would have a Soul. The definition for life that excludes viruses could obviously just include viruses as one of the many exceptions to the rules that we have for scientific definitions. Some Aliens, like, I guess, the Alien from Alien, may be made of Silicon or something— or Diamonds, like from Ben Ten.

I like the definition DMUA the best for Vs debates, though, to keep that clear.

As for beyond that... All things can be considered alive technically, if we ignore the Cell requirements. Movement is common in every atom of everything, which would mean that every particle has a Soul, and possibly in addition, a United being has its own soul. But, the problem then becomes "to what extent is a being considered a United thing?" You can take apart a machine and repurpose its parts, or make it so only its parts at the core of it are around.

If you put your brain in a robot body, does your Soul go with it.

This is how you know Souls don't exist IRL, or at least are irrelevant to anything on our level of intelligence— because there's no viable definition.

Yeah, I didn't mean to have this be a philosophical discussion, just regarding how we apply this to VS Debates.

Case-by-case seems like the best answer for now.

I'd say it's only for beings that are sentient, unless the Verse explicitly states that everything, including beings that aren't sentient, has a soul

Amexim said:
1 you never said what there called. I could only assume. (Also you never gave a source Ethier..)

B that is silly. EXTREMELY. This Isn't about the theoretical any random kid in a bassment can write whatever they want. I again point to the comment I quoted from dragoo earlier.

3 don't bring such claims about real life into this. It leads to bad places. I happen to be religious myself and I take offence to that comment.

I think I've already had my question answered, and case-by-case seems like the best way to take it for now.

As the last thing I want here is a religious argument, I'm just going to close this, as it'll do more harm than good. I apologize for lacking the foresight regarding that when making this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back