• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What abilities come of this? (Destiny thread)

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
"We propose a method by which Ascendant souls can be detached and integrated into a tautological and autonomous thanatosphere, which we tentatively term an oversoul. Oversouls can be stored in a throne world as a mechanism of enhanced death resilience. As a side effect, new refinements to our Deathsong may be achieved, moving us closer to a generally effective paracausal death impulse."
Oryx brandished his sword. "Speak the Royal Tongue, or I'll pin you up for Eir to eat."

"If we can separate our deaths from ourselves, and hide them, we will be hard to kill."''

First, before my daughters
I saw Alzok lead her sisters through the eye

Saying, death will be our cove

With black fire and gray blade

Gornuk consecrated their singing

They cut their deaths away

To Zyrok I said

Show me the place where you have hidden your death

I am Oryx, your lord

Oryx, my lord, she said

We have hidden our deaths in each other

So that we will never be alone''

So basically, Ascendant Hive can move their deaths to other places, rendering them undying until that death is evoked. (For Deathsingers/Crota, they need to be killed alongside their Oversoul. For the 3 wizards, they need to be killed all at once or else they don't stay dead). Besides Immortality (Type 5) and Low-Godly, would this qualify as a form of Death Manipulation or Conceptual Manipulation (Type 3)? (Don't focus on the specifics of The Daughters of Oryx as much, this is more to gauge what general powers can be assigned to Ascendant hive).

That's what I was thinking too, but others were wondering if the fact that they're moving their deaths would technically qualify as manipulation of death/concepts, even if not necessarily offensively.

I think the immortalities are just the result and not the actual ability, but I'm not sure what it would qualify as.

Inclined to side with Death/Conceptual manipulation as well, the method that gave them immortality involved them moving the very idea of their demise away from there to begin with. Added with it being in tune with the more High Tier Hive's capabilities and feats.

Bump

Flash already having concept manip for this sort of thing would incline me to believe all the Oversoul users would get it just by adhering to preexisting standards, but I'll give it another day or so

I guess it would be useful if someone wanted to use conceptual weaponry against an Oversoul user. They could probably just resist it.

There have been other cases of characters getting conceptual manipulaiton this way like the example of Wally West. It's also not that far-fetched in the context of Destiny at all. Removing your very death from your body isn't just an immortality, the immortality would be the result of it.

The result of the death moving was type 5 and 8 immortality. The act itself is pretty clearly concept manipulation.

Back