• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Watts to Joules per Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingEzran

He/Him
So, from what I understand, watts don't translate into joules, but instead, they translate into joules per second (1 watt = 1 joule per second). So if someone's feat in fiction is a certain number of watts, does that mean the AP on their page should be the number of seconds x the number of watts or do we just base it on the initial j/s without taking time into account?

It depends on the context; for conductivity feats (Heat/cold, electricity, energy extraction/importing, wind currents, ect), we do use watts or J/s instead of Joules. Except for feats that took less than a second, we use joules. But for impact feats, the KE upon impact holds the weight and the time frame require to built that speed (Which could be calculated in watts but not entirely necessary).

It's a very case by case thing.

Been really tired due to workload among other things, but good otherwise.

if someone's feat in fiction is a certain number of watts, does that mean the AP on their page should be the number of seconds x the number of watts or do we just base it on the initial j/s without taking time into
Energy is more than just Watts, but also Amps and Resistance. You'd have to take those into account as well since that all factors into energy transfer.

Afaik the best page with this is TASM/MCU Electro base keys AP.

Energy is more than just Watts, but also Amps and Resistance. You'd have to take those into account as well since that all factors into energy transfer.
Don't you have to figure out resistance first to find Amps? And then you need the voltage too and the timeframe.

And so if those factors are unknown, the energy would be incalculable?
You need a voltage value and a resistance value, so yes.

DT once showed an article in a calc of his where it said the resistance of air was 1015 Ohm/meter. But the link is dead now.

Anyway, you multiply the ohm/meter value with the distance in meters (Assuming the electricity covered some distance before impact) to get the Ohm value.

Ohm's law is this: I = U/R, U is voltage and R is resistance in ohm, and I is current in amperes

Once you get the current value, it's just a matter of multiplying the voltage with the ampere value and the duration of the attack within 1 second or less.

The origin of this question is because I noticed this on Iron Man's page for his lasers, and I was just wondering if it could potentially be stronger since it was more than a second.

Cool, thank you!

If it wouldn't be trouble, Medeus or Qawsedf234, could you close the thread? My questions have been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back