• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Danny Phantom - Technus Speed Feat? (Possible Calculations Per Second)

LordGriffin1000

Awakened after 1000 years
He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if this is a feat or not (which is why it's on the questions board) but I'd like to hear the opinions of other members who are actually knowledgeable on this subject.

The Feat?

I recently went back and re-watched the episode "Flirting with Disaster", and Tucker explains that the main computer is protected by a 10,000 digit code. Technus reiterates this and although claimed it would be easy, we see he messed up after 2 digits and said it would take some time. He's clearly using the brute force method computers use and not actually using his technology powers to simply get the right code as we actually see him pressing the numbers and letters.

The events of the episode shows Technus distracting Danny and trying to figure out the code so his attention is split but in verse only about two days pass since the montage shows one scene at night, yet Technus started while Danny and crew were on a field trip and immediately went home after.

This means Technus brute forces a 10,000 digit code in a few days at most.

Computer Comparison

Now, I checked a few sources but I don't know if they're legit, however, this information states that "Computer programs used for brute force attacks can check anywhere from 10,000 to 1 billion passwords per second." and that "The longer and more random a password, the tougher it is to crack. A 9-character password that includes a unique character takes around 2 hours to break; one without a unique character lasts just 2 minutes!". However, "In comparison, a 12-mixed-character password would take centuries to crack."

This information states that "A password of eight standard letters contains 209 billion possible combinations, but a computer is able to calculate this instantly. Adding one upper case letter to a password dramatically alters a computer's potential to crack a password, extending it to 22 minutes. Having a long mix of upper and lower case letters, symbols and numbers is the best way make your password more secure. A 12-character password containing at least one upper case letter, one symbol and one number would take 34,000 years for a computer to crack."

Now, Technus is trying to crack a computer that is so powerful, it can control all computers on the planet. In 2006 (the year this episode came out), the number 1 computer at the time was the "IBM BlueGene/L system, installed at DOE’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), retains the No. 1 spot with a Linpack performance of 280.6 teraflops (trillions of calculations per second, or Tflop/s)."

Conclusion

Technus at this time is basically data, and he's proven capable of brute forcing a 10,000 digit code firewall, with other computers who use the same method being able to check 10,000 to 1 billion passwords per second yet 12-mixed-character password could take centuries to crack or 34,000 years for a computer to crack going off the sources I checked. He even overtakes a computer so powerful it can control all other computers on the planet and would be superior to the best computer on Earth at that time irl which can run trillions of calculations per second.

Would this be an upgrade of some kind for Technus or not?

Wait, wasn't Technus seen stretching his arms out manipulating several bits of the code later in the episode when he's a few seconds close to breaking the firewall?

I mean, wouldn't he still need the processing speed to put the numbers?
But is there anyway to get an accurate calc it. The feats mentioned in the comments uses characters physically putting in a code on a pad, so not sure how we'd go about it, other than just mentioning the feat on his profile.

Back