• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Warhammer Fantasy: Aethyr Manipulation Resistance Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is basically a pet project that I've been working with fellow supporters, but we decided that the Aethyr Manipulation resistance system needs some clarifications accounting for the RPG tie-in. So I've introduced a blog below detailing the mechanics and how they should be translated into resistance. This is meant to mostly harmonize the two systems together, as well as try its best to translate the dice-based mechanics into a more tangible and plausible interpretation for the wiki.

tl;dr - Aethyr Manipulation resistance should be separated by layers due to how the Degrees of Success system functions, and this should be the standard we follow when tackling more characters who have Aethyr Manipulation resistance.

It's more or less just an attempt to get a solid image of what magic resistance looks like in Warhammer. Because, there had always been magic that could bypass resistance and resistance that could resist aforementioned resistance bypassing magic, so this is more like a clarification while we research more into tabletop. Another CRT will be made to correct this and the blog will be updated accordingly

I am severely skeptical of using the system of d100 to properly judge resistance in this case. The 1/2/3 system of the regular tabletop sounds alright in that it has a genuine scale of what it does and does not, but the average based on the d100 sound a lot like game mechanics to me. At least, in the way they scale to each-other.

I am severely skeptical of using the system of d100 to properly judge resistance in this case. The 1/2/3 system of the regular tabletop sounds alright in that it has a genuine scale of what it does and does not, but the average based on the d100 sound a lot like game mechanics to me. At least, in the way they scale to each-other.
This is why we're using the levels/degrees of success from tabletop because they actually have a tangible narrative effect when you roll with degrees of success, it's problematic if we scaled with every point of d100 but we're using degrees of success which is about ten points above the roll you make, which actually has a tangible effect on how well you resist something or pass a check.

It's also not a D100 system from what I can tell, it's just contextualising the way resistances scale/work in a narrative context.

The Levels of Success system probably has the most weight in the Aethyr Manipulation resistance structure given that the mechanic does tangibly effect the narrative based on how well you roll.

Eh. I ain't an expert on Fantasy so take me wording with a grain of salt either way but it still feels a bit weird to me.

Eh. I ain't an expert on Fantasy so take me wording with a grain of salt either way but it still feels a bit weird to me.
Think how DnD handles things now make it actually have in-lore explanations besides being based around the RPG

I would understand the skepticism with d100 dice, but we took the very low road given that we could easily scale to each point of d100 using the same justification as DnD's but Warhammer Fantasy RPG's levels of success system is a very solid basis for resistance scaling by virtue of it being designed to have an actual effect on the narrative instead of it purely being gameplay.

Just because something works for one verse doesn't mean it'll necessarily work for another, even if they're both traditional games. It's good to have a precedent but I don't see the point of continuing to bring up DnD. A verse, at the end of the day, has to stand on it's own.

It's basically the same mechanic copy/pasted without fail, just here it has in-lore explanations outside of the entire verse revolving around the mechanics

Just because something works for one verse doesn't mean it'll necessarily work for another, even if they're both traditional games. It's good to have a precedent but I don't see the point of continuing to bring up DnD. A verse, at the end of the day, has to stand on it's own.
Pointing to similar examples=/=not standing up by itself.

The d100 system has to be included by virtue of it intrinsically being linked with the Degrees of Success system. Even ignoring DnD, the presence Degrees of Success system cannot be denied because it actually shows how well a person succeeds in their check, and this is something that the DM and players always have to keep in mind when gauging how well they succeed or fail in the narrative.

So in terms of magic resistance, a player who manages to dispel incoming magic or resist it can get tangibly better results the higher they roll, hence why locking the average hax potency/base resistance at the average d50, so we can use the degrees of success system beyond that point.

Eh.

I'll remain neutral for now. Do get an RPG nerd or two to comment on it though, I'd like to see what they think.

Warhammer isn't my forte but the system looks alright. Though I think it would be a good idea to establish what a base magician is and clarify if higher level mages have a better chance of overcoming willpower.

The thing with Warhammer is that everyone starts out with relatively low base stats. In the tabletop rpg, magic potency scales to Intelligence and depending on the race, can vary greatly. A human/dwarf/halfling will have an average of 25 (1d10+20) while an elf will start out with around 35 (1d10+30). We weren't sure how to handle this, so we just put base resistance to d50 because it encompassed basic and intermediate mages, and was a decent average for a d100 dice.

So takeaway is to establish what a base mage is though I think the system we have right now is alright in place of it simply because I'm thinking establishing a base mage might be a further upgrade to layers of Aethyr Manipulation resistance.

Well my two questions were basically
  • Definie what a base mage actually is
  • How do higher level Mages interact with magic resistance
I dunno if either were answered.

• Since anyone can do Magic, a basic human mage would be someone with 25 Intelligence, and an elf mage at 35 Intelligence. Since Warhammer Fantasy has a system of magic chance (basically magic needs to succeed a check to even be casted on top of potency), a basic mage would be someone who can properly use magic without fail and use it offensively. So d50 is still decent to actually have a basic wizard that can both successfully cast a spell and use it offensively.
  • Simply put, higher level Mages can bypass checks to resist by virtue of the Degrees of Success system. So an average magic attack thrown by a wizard with 50 Intelligence would be resisted by a person with 50 Willpower, but an average magic attack thrown by a wizard with 60 Intelligence would not be resisted and it would deal damage instead.

Last edited:
  • Since anyone can do Magic, a basic human mage would be someone with 25 Intelligence, and an elf mage at 35 Intelligence. Since Warhammer Fantasy has a system of magic chance on top of potency, a basic mage would be someone who can properly use magic.
  • Simply put, higher level Mages can bypass checks to resist by virtue of the Degrees of Success system. So an average magic attack thrown by a wizard with 50 Intelligence would be resisted by a person with 50 Willpower, but an average magic attack thrown by a wizard with 60 Intelligence would not be resisted and it would deal damage instead.
@Qawsedf234

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back