• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Warframe: Context & Issues

Mr. Bambu

Suffer-Not-Injustice Bambu
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter
Ant wants me to make this. Keep in mind I'm a neutral party- I've never played Warframe a day in my life. Anyhow. They're getting downgraded. I was asked some time ago to calc for it- which I did here.

The issue is, other members of the calc group seem to read it as a tornado-like event based on the in-game description. I read it as a legitimate storm based on the lore. My suggestion? Meet it half way and use both if no further context is given.

Basically, "At least 8-B (Tornado-type calc), likely/possibly/whatever 7-A (Storm-type calc)"

Does anyone hold major issue with this?

The requester, Abstractions, did bring this up.

"The Sandstorm described is not the one listed on the page, as most lore feats have much higher ranges (Limbo's Rift Walk being Interplanetary) The villagers associate Inaros with that of the Orokin (Skymen) that come down from space with their ships and take their children, Inaros' Sandstorm is described as happening "suddenly" and was labelled as "sky -piercing", knowing Inaros had used a similar storm to "ascend to watch over them in his throne in the sky", it is likely he himself is ascending through the storm to his Liset, which would be operating at least in the stratosphere.

For the radius, it is stated that the villagers had to venture out into the desert to find him, indicating some distance."

Not sure how relevant it could be to deciding what end to use.

Along with what Abstractions and LSirLancelotDuLaci says, the Warframe Gara took attacks from a Sentient that was stated to have destroyed Towers,citadels, and cities (it is even explicitly stated to multiple times that it was trying to kill her).Just the pieces of the Sentient falling is even stated to have destroyed forests and the Eidolon Hydrolyst (a small piece of the Sentient Gara fought) description say it "energy powerful enough to alter the local weather system" and it is adescribed as an "Omen of impending natural disaster" by the Osterons which is both shown in game to an extent with the Eidolon creating lightning and thunder just by existing.Warframes should be way stronger than 8-B

I would appreciate if somebody could politely ask all of the calc group members, along with Kaltias and Assaltwaffle, to comment here via their message walls: VS Battles Staff

If Dienomite is right we could just apply the lowest storm calc to them as an alternate lowball. Low 7-B.

@Mr. Bambu

I would appreciate if you, or somebody else, could ask the calc group members who commented in your blog to respond here.

I'm fine with using both with the "likely" tag, but sandstorms are not literal storms. Using 20 km radius and 8km height as a cylinder is a bit dubious. A sandstorm is like a moving wall of sandy air, with are, at max, ~1500 meters.

Used 20 km as I was told it was large enough to cover a desert- so they couldn't find the guy. If you'd rather I use 1500 meters I'm happy to if that's acceptable in context.

Completely poetic with no actual height given. I see only "is very high", which 1500 meters is.

We know what they mean by "piercing the sky".It is referring to space or at least very high up in the atmosphere.The same people who said "pierces the sky" are the same people who referred to the Orokin as "Golden Skymen" and the Orokin ship that Inaros deploys from as a "throne in the sky".At minimum "sky" means upper atmosphere and at max it be the distance of one of the ships <-> Mars shown here.

Assaltwaffle said:
Completely poetic with no actual height given. I see only "is very high", which 1500 meters is.
The poetism is given validation when the people make constant references to the Orokin as the Skymen, whom are capable of advanced space-travel and which Inaros was a member of before he revolted from the abduction of children.

They should very well understand the concept of space ships with their constant interaction with these Skymen, so when they say Inaros used a Sandstorm to ascend to his throne in the sky, we can infer an incredible distance being travelled, which is not out of the ordinary for Warframes in lore as I have mentioned.

We could also rely on the definition of sky, which is "the region of the atmosphere and outer space seen from the earth"

Either way this ends up into the atmosphere, even if it was in the troposphere that still extends from 3.7 to 6.2 miles, with the possibilty of it being higher in the sky than that.

There's pretty much nothing else about the sandstorm that Inaros made. It was a desert in size and pierced the sky were the only possible mentions for dimensions.

We don't see it and nothing else is said about it.

Honestly just research the size of an average sandstorm and use it to figure out the energy, it's the safest low-end.

Okay. You can politely ask all of the others as well if you wish, and tell them that I would appreciate the help, as this is an important and currently very inaccurately tiered franchise.

AguilaR101 said:
Honestly just research the size of an average sandstorm and use it to figure out the energy, it's the safest low-end.
Technically we can always find a safest low-end; I am neutral and don't bother with the game but I will say this shouldn't be the case. It would be the equivalent of low-balling a planet-covering storm as a normal storm because we can't find the size of the planet.

I don't suppose we have an equivalent for the desert this took place on? A map, perhaps?

I believe we don't have a map or size but if i recall correctly this took place in Mars, which is basically a Desert Planet (the whole planet is a desert basically), so the size of the desert can be anywhere from normal size to planet size (ofc it's not planet size, just wanted to mention that). I believe taking it the size of a normal desert is our safest assumption.

...that makes things worse. I think the safer lowball would be using a very small desert- the smallest in Africa (the continent most-covered in deserts afaik, except maybe Australia) is the Red Desert at 11 hectares of size, or 0.11 km^2.

This is of course immensely lower than what would be realistic but tbh I dunno what else to do.

Yeah i know. Though how about we go like this:

At least [lowball tier assuming the smallest desert]

Possibly [mid ball tier assuming the biggest desert or 1 of the biggest]

Or sth like that, would that work?

Well, a few more wouldn't hurt, in case the others are busy.

I don't think we can use 20 kilometers either, that's for our normal storms not sandstorms, 1524 meters is apparently the max height like Assalt said so it'd be best to use that as a height, pierces the sky probably just means it's too high for the people on the ground and is blocking the sky, which 1524 meters would be considering it's several times taller than the tallest building in the world.

Also using the desert size doesn't work from what i'm seeing

" As the storm subsided the people ventured out into the desert"

The storm was already over by the time the people went out into the desert, so using them venturing in as proof that it's desert sized doesn't work, and i don't see any other statement indicating that size.

The desert sized comes from the fact that he had to cleanse all attackers from the entire desert. So the storm is at least desert sized.

Firephoenixearl said:
I believe we don't have a map or size but if i recall correctly this took place in Mars, which is basically a Desert Planet (the whole planet is a desert basically), so the size of the desert can be anywhere from normal size to planet size (ofc it's not planet size, just wanted to mention that). I believe taking it the size of a normal desert is our safest assumption.
Since the feat takes place on Mars wouldn't the height needed be that of to the atmosphere of Mars?

Well that's the thing, the entire atmosphere may be too big. So we'r arguing only parts, i personally believe 1500m is a bit small, but imma leave it to the calc members.

Firephoenixearl said:
The desert sized comes from the fact that he had to cleanse all attackers from the entire desert. So the storm is at least desert sized.
That makes sense then, the planet is a problem though since i'm not sure we'd be able to use our own desert sizes and Mars is essentially one big desert across the planet.

What could be a good middle then? My idea was

Our smallest/biggest desert as a lowball

then likely biggest desert (if we do the smallest as a lowball)/ planet desert as a highball

Back