• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Demon Slayer Speed Overhaul

Once again, a crippled and disoriented base Season 1 Tanjiro could dodge explicitly stated sound speed attacks even without a breathing technique in one of his first ever battles, and he is innumerable blitz gaps below Hashira level characters. This narrative of a subsonic cap to demon slayer really doesn’t work no matter which way you cut it.
He did this using his sense of smell, avoiding attacks in advance

He did this using his sense of smell, avoiding attacks in advance
That isn’t stated, and as far as I’m aware he only learns to do this consistently during the Yoriichi Type Zero Training session far later.

However this doesn’t work as an explanation anyways, as he isn’t dodging in advance but rather moving relative to the attacks themselves. The anime also shows that he starts moving long after the attack is launched, dodging reactively, not in advance.

Last edited:
That isn’t stated, and as far as I’m aware he only learns to do this during the Yoriichi Type Zero Training session far later.

However this doesn’t work as an explanation anyways, as he isn’t dodging in advance but rather moving relative to the attacks themselves. The anime also shows that he starts moving long after the attack is launched, dodging reactively, not in advance.

He knows exactly when the attack is coming, which is shown in the fragment, so he dodges it

I agree with Epyriel here. NikHelton doesn't seem to be making a good point. Smelling something relies on airborne particles, so one might want to consider how fast those spread if you want to take NikHelton's approach to its logical extreme.

I agree with Epyriel here. NikHelton doesn't seem to be making a good point. Smelling something relies on airborne particles, so one might want to consider how fast those spread if you want to take NikHelton's approach to its logical extreme.
dude above literally provided evidence that Tanjiro dodged in advance

dude above literally provided evidence that Tanjiro dodged in advance
Tanjiro only started to take notice of the smell of the mold and how it precedes the attack later. He was already dodging before that moment. We also have Inosuke who doesn't have the same sense of smell dodging those attacks.

Smelling something relies on airborne particles, so one might want to consider how fast those spread if you want to take NikHelton's approach to its logical extreme.
You might also want to consider what I said in regards to smells.

He knows exactly when the attack is coming, which is shown in the fragment, so he dodges it

That is more than halfway through the fight, meaning he was already dodging reactively to these sound speed attacks without smelling them in the first half, as was blatantly shown in both manga and anime.

Also, this is still a reactive dodge. He is simply dodging based on the smell instead of sight alone after it has been launched at him, not before. He is still moving at speeds relative to the attack. He only learns the ability to predict attacks before they are made during the Yoriichi Type Zero Training.

Last edited:
Just looked it up, and apparently mold spores travel in air speeds between 0.5 m/s and 1m/s, which is between 343 and 686 times slower than sound. So the whole logic of using hearing to discount faster than sound movement in battle really doesn’t follow if you need to discount exactly that kind of phenomena for spore speeds to discount Tanjiro moving faster than sound because he can smell attacks coming (although that doesn’t work anyways as covered above since he only starts doing that halfway through, and still represents a reactive dodge).

Last edited:
Another counterbalance to these calculations is Gyomei, one of the fastest characters in the verse, who, being blind, relies in battle on the sounds of the chain of his weapon.

Well, about the fact that next to the feat of lightning in the same arch, the characters cannot dodge the sound wave and the concussion, I will not say anything at all
This is something I was wondering about a while ago.
But I don't think it will go forward, if Gyomei really limited himself to Subsonico, he wouldn't be able to fight Kokushibo, hence the first inconsistency.

There are several feats to prove the verse above the speed of sound.

Let's take Baki as an example, Yujiro gets blitzed at a speed of 270 km/h, and that doesn't mean we're going to leave him at subsonic level.

Baki takes a lot of damage when falling from a 30 meter drop, but we won't leave him at wall level even for that, even before falling off a cliff and coming out practically intact.

These are inconsistencies that don't make sense with the Power Scale of the work as a whole.

Back