• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vs battles wiki pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no issue. Just playing devils advocate.

Is it staffs place to punish something that in no way hurts them or the safety of this site ?
It does hurt the safety of the site. Many people have exclaimed discomfort with such beliefs being present on the sire and if someone hates your existence and the group you're from I think you'd feel unsafe interacting with them lol. Plus it's not a good look for visitors

There is no issue. Just playing devils advocate.

Is it staffs place to punish something that in no way hurts them or the safety of this site ?
It is when the severity of it is such that it’s in-conducive to the safety or general well-being of our users, such as harshly bigoted sentiments or - even worse - calls for genocide. We’re not the morality police, no, but a line does need to be drawn somewhere - and I feel right now the site benefits from the line we recently decided to draw.

I'm a proponent for freedom of speech as far as where it isn't actively harming someone. I don't like inching towards thought-policing people in our sphere of entirely unrelated shit. Yeah, I think they're probably bad people (or, being very generous, extremely flawed) but I don't see that as being grounds to ban people. I don't think it's a "safety issue" or whatever.

Reio was a valid boot to the arse because he was actively pining to hurt people because the dude's a ******' lunatic. Lesser cases aren't covered by our rules, and I still don't think they should be.

It does hurt the safety of the site. Many people have exclaimed discomfort with such beliefs being present on the sire and if someone hates your existence and the group you're from I think you'd feel unsafe interacting with them lol. Plus it's not a good look for visitors
Essentially, yeah. I’d say it’s very harmful when, say, a number of our users (those that are LGBTQ+) are sharing the site with someone that wants them dead, for instance.

It does hurt the safety of the site. Many people have exclaimed discomfort with such beliefs being present on the sire and if someone hates your existence and the group you're from I think you'd feel unsafe interacting with them lol.
These private messages (a lot of the time) shouldn't even be leaked to the public rvr in the first place.
It is when the severity of it is such that it’s in-conducive to the safety or general well-being of our users, such as harshly bigoted sentiments or - even worse - calls for genocide. We’re not the morality police, no, but a line does need to be drawn somewhere - and I feel right now the site benefits from the line we recently decided to draw.
How does it effect the wellbeing of other users if the user (who is racist or homophobic ect) is generally kind to other users and problem free. It wouldn't actually effect anyone, unless its leaked. Posting it to the rvr would actually cause more harm then good.

Depends on the severity of it tbh. Take my recent report of Reio35 for example. Quite frankly, the fact that he was unable to defend himself is of no consequence to me because I’m not interested in seeing how someone defends bigotry or even calls for genocide
"Well you see guys it was all actually just an ironic joke guys come on guys don't permaban me guys wanting to kill gay people is actually really funny and quirky guys come on"

How does it effect the wellbeing of other users if the user (who is racist or homophobic ect) is generally kind to other users and problem free. It wouldn't actually effect anyone, unless its leaked. Posting it to the rvr would actually cause more harm then good.
Just because someone is quiet about their bigotry doesn't mean it's not a problem. More often than not it leaks out anyways. Doing stuff behind closed doors is still overall contributing to the bad stuff lol.

Just because someone is quiet about their bigotry doesn't mean it's not a problem. More often than not it leaks out anyways. Doing stuff behind closed doors is still overall contributing to the bad stuff lol.
Contributing to the bad stuff that doesn't effect the on-site wellbeing of users.

I'm a proponent for freedom of speech as far as where it isn't actively harming someone. I don't like inching towards thought-policing people in our sphere of entirely unrelated shit. Yeah, I think they're probably bad people (or, being very generous, extremely flawed) but I don't see that as being grounds to ban people. I don't think it's a "safety issue" or whatever.

Reio was a valid boot to the arse because he was actively pining to hurt people because the dude's a ******' lunatic. Lesser cases aren't covered by our rules, and I still don't think they should be.
I think overall I can say I’m satisfied with our current stance on off-site conduct. This could potentially change if it’s taken advantage of in one way or another, but I believe this adequately punishes actively harmful behavior while not shifting into thought police territory.

Last edited:
It’s not directly targeted at the on-site being of users but rather indirectly harming individuals by attacking the group they’re in.

Like, let me set an example. As a Chinese, many of us were targeted during the pandemic; racist/xenophobic sentiment against us sparked because of people expressing their bigotry and blood-thirst, which consequently causes people to follow their sentiment which threatens the safety and status against the Chinese community.

Now, that said, the same can be said with every group and community. What Reio has done is considered promulgating hate and violence against the LGBTQ+ community, and that potentially threatens the lives of members of LGBTQ+. It’s not about our site and the users here exclusively, but rather violence against an entire social construct. And this site has many LGBTQ+ members, which indirectly harms them by attacking the social construct they’re a part of.

Last edited:
I’m a very “live and let live” guy, personally, so the place where I personally draw the line is at sentiments that infringe on harmless livelihoods of other people. Anything less than that is usually just whatever for me

I personally think it should be site to site, just to say this beforehand that i am not supporting any type of bigotry for anybody. I support everybody's lifestyle (unless they start to become a psychopath) and obviously the usual moral conduct that i am too tired to write down rn
But yeah, what people say off site shouldn't be correlated to another website entirely due to the factor of the vibe of that place as well
Also, can i ask what a "safe space" means exactly in vsbw's context?

I mean don't get it twisted we aren't the internet police, what users do offsite or irl shouldn't matter to the Wiki at all however like I keep telling everyone unless you know someone in a face to face we've shook hands type of manor you don't actually know what a person on the internet is truly like (all too easy to wear a persona behind a screen), that said everyone is entitled to their anonymity for various reasons, for example if I revealed my true identity you'll either go mad or become my thrall depending how I did my hair.

Also I've repeated this type of stuff so many times already yet the drama keeps repeating itself here, yup this wiki is cursed!

So when a user does reveal some or all of their true nature which turns out to be very harmful to others, at that point turning a blind eye is wilful complicity and will only give Google, politicians, authorities, etc all the more reason to monitor online activities as well as crackdown on those who failed to protect the innocent and vulnerable (using freedom of speech to say the freedoms of others should be taken away only leads to everyone's freedoms being taken away, go figure).

Long story short if you can't accept the existence of different types of people who are just as entitled to live as you and you "have" to restort to using freaking social media or worst battle-boarding to spread hate then I wish you good luck in the bed you've made since you won't find any warmth from wrapping yourself in blanket ignorance, that is all.

Contributing to the bad stuff that doesn't effect the on-site wellbeing of users.
Just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean you shouldn't care lol and I think it does affect the on-site users because I'm gonna feel very uncomfortable if I, as a trans person, am engaging with someone who is severely transphobic, off-site or on-site behavior

Versus Threads has several negative aspects in general.

1. Your thread only gets engagement when they are very famous characters or haxed with a strange combination. When they're lesser-known characters, your thread usually gets stuck in limbo and you have to bump it several times.

2. Even so, there is a considerable chance that the discussion will eventually become toxic and a moderator will arrive to close it down (disregarding whether the fight is fair or not).

3. There are several fights in which the OP doesn't update the votes due to inactivity.

4. The equal speed rules often ruin a lot of fights. I remember a fight I did between Jotaro VS Jiren that was considered a stomp because Jiren was matched to Jotaro's superhuman speed, while SP had infinite speed.

5. The "FRA Train". I'm not generalizing, but in many cases it's stressful because they ignore the opposing arguments in the course of the discussion.

6. When the fight involves two more "engaged" fandoms, the discussion becomes very annoying, with insults ad nauseam.

7. Necro.

I feel like their should be a rule added that says you have to comment more then [Insert character] FRA.

It’s honestly pretty silly how the bulk of a comments on a battle discussion will literally just be people typing two words and that somehow is a commonly accepted voting criteria.
Problem is sometimes i dont have the energy to compile person A, a part of B and and counter arguement to person C to vote.

I’m not asking people to debate here, just leave a comment that at least shows you glanced through the thread. Simply putting “I agree with [Insert users] reasons,” or just reiterating the points you agree with in like a sentence, is infinitely preferable to the FRA stuff we have currently.
Yeah, this is one of the reasons I always feel the need to list every advantage for both sides before putting my thoughts down.

If it's not fun, then stay out of it.
What????? I can’t control who’s on the site that’s the staffs duty, and even then I’m not TRYING to interact with those types of people, it’s just naturally what happens if they don’t get banned on the site meaning I’ll most likely run into them one way or another.

I don’t know what “gotcha” you’re trying to pull here but you look really insensitive I’ll say that much.

Not to sound rude but… why? It’s not like we’re being super hostile or anything and I think it’s certainly a good discussion to have. Feels a bit weird to stop the conversation now rather than when it was going on much earlier.
It is a rather controversial topic so I don't want any hostility sparking here. Though, if you're sure this won't go off rails then I'm gonna let this slide, however, everyone has to be civil.

Not to sound rude but… why? It’s not like we’re being super hostile or anything and I think it’s certainly a good discussion to have. Feels a bit weird to stop the conversation now rather than when it was going on much earlier.
Because sensitive topics like this rather gets a rise out of people. And this thread really isn't the thread to be discussing about ongoing drama

Yeah nah just to address what the latest conversation is about, you can't just tell someone to not interact with bigotry and other stuff of that nature on-site as a solution for it, you ought to report them and boot them out. "Just ignore them" is notna viable solution in these instances.
We all crack stupid jokes and sentiments in our lives but at some point you either gotta grow up from them if they cross a line.

This is the equivalent of seeing your drug dealer at a grocery store. First glance he isn't doing anything illegal but then again if you know you know
The difference is that some drug dealers are actually helping(this only applies to if they're dealing insulin to people who can't afford it at the store or something, I am not endorsing heroin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back