• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

VS Battles inofficial Awards: Crown the best VSB Pages!

unknown.png

Not crisp 😤

Link, category, some words as to why people should vote for it. Same goes for everyone who wants to submitt as well
Oh dang, guess I need to say a few words to Master then, huh?

Btw. should I make a separate post for each nomination or will new posts be made for the voting 🤔

In that case let's do this again:
Master for best visual profile.
Generally, the formatting for a character with 200+ abilities is a challenge. Especially if many of those abilities have detailed information known about them.
There was basically no way to keep things readable while keeping the explanations constrained to the P&A. One could have tried with a scrollbox and bullet list, but even that wouldn't have looked good with pictures and sub-points and the way many abilities correspond to none or several powers on the wiki.
So instead, I decided to do the only reasonable thing and use the P&A section to provide just a short summary of what the character can do in our sides terms while leaving virtually all explanations to the Notable A/T section.
However, due to the sheer volume of information even that would have gotten messy, so I decided to organize the abilities into some sections, which can be easily accessed from the table of contents.
I also tried to roughly sort the skills such that the most relevant bullet points are listed first in each section. (or the most fundamental ones that are basis for the other stuff)
Aside from that I looked up some scans from the manga and added them besides the skill texts to illustrate the effects.

Alright, NOw its fixed
I added a <br> tag to separate the tabbers and the AP so they aren't clumped together.
In that case let's do this again:
Master for best visual profile.
Generally, the formatting for a character with 200+ abilities is a challenge. Especially if many of those abilities have detailed information known about them.
There was basically no way to keep things readable while keeping the explanations constrained to the P&A. One could have tried with a scrollbox and bullet list, but even that wouldn't have looked good with pictures and sub-points and the way many abilities correspond to none or several powers on the wiki.
So instead, I decided to do the only reasonable thing and use the P&A section to provide just a short summary of what the character can do in our sides terms while leaving virtually all explanations to the Notable A/T section.
However, due to the sheer volume of information even that would have gotten messy, so I decided to organize the abilities into some sections, which can be easily accessed from the table of contents.
I also tried to roughly sort the skills such that the most relevant bullet points are listed first in each section. (or the most fundamental ones that are basis for the other stuff)
Aside from that I looked up some scans from the manga and added them besides the skill texts to illustrate the effects.
DT, I applaud you. You have somehow managed to make a page with:
  • 364 references
  • 71k bytes
  • And not a single goddamn tabber
I admire the creativity, but my god does the page seriously need a makeover.

Let's go over some of the numerous problems:
  • The contents section takes up half the start of the page, the image takes up the other half
  • The page has no concept of tabbers
  • Set Skills should just be apart of Notable Attacks and Techniques
  • The sheer amount of skills without tabbers make the page nearly endless and an absolute nightmare to scroll through
  • Way too many H2 tags
  • The P&A section has references but no scans to go along with the links, making it practically a text wall
  • The resistances section of the P&A goes like "Resistances ()" instead of listing the resistances individually
  • The resistances are poorly worded and some are straight up confounding (like wtf is "control" you didn't even link a power for it)
  • You cannot pay me to find where the powers come from due to just how long it is
Basically: This should be a Best Sourced Profile submission, because anything else makes my head hurt.

The contents section takes up half the start of the page, the image takes up the other half
That's basically intended, layout-wise. Together with the summary (which doesn't get to below the image) it builds a nice block of less important information, so that the image doesn't reach into the powers and stats section. That in turn makes the more important powers and stats section look much cleaner.

The page has no concept of tabbers
Tabbers don't work on mobile and are hence not an ideal solution. Given, sometimes they are the best option. Like when you have a long P&A section with several keys that otherwise is hard to read. For these purposes I think sections are the superior alternative.

Set Skills should just be apart of Notable Attacks and Techniques
Why? All of the skills are and should be part of the Notable A/T section.

The sheer amount of skills without tabbers make the page nearly endless and an absolute nightmare to scroll through
If you want to go to a section go to the ToC. That sends you directly there. If you don't want to go to a specific point, but just scroll through as you read/skim, endless scrolling work better as you don't have to scroll up and down.

Way too many H2 tags
There are literally as many as on any other page. Summary, Powers and Stats, Others and References are the only Heading 2 sections. (unless you mean something else with summary)

The P&A section has references but no scans to go along with the links, making it practically a text wall
Well, I'm not nominating it for best sourced for a reason. However, I generally disagree with the need for scans here. This is a Web Novel. Each chapter is like 2 pages long and the content is on the internet. It's very easy to find the quotes from the references.

The resistances section of the P&A goes like "Resistances ()" instead of listing the resistances individually
IIRC that was recommended as best practice for listing references in a past thread, as it clearly shows where the list of Resistances ends. That's why I used it. And the resistances are listed "individually" still. As in, they are all spelled out and unambiguous.

The resistances are poorly worded and some are straight up confounding (like wtf is "control" you didn't even link a power for it)
Mind Control and Body Control, as the brackets behind that resistance clarify. A look into the "Resistance & Nullification Skills" section will as first skill also show you a "Control Immunity" skill, which expands on the matter. (along with the rest listed there) Reason for the formulation is that said skill in itself is an equally vague control resistance, which might include various things besides the Mind & Body Control that get explicitely mentioned.

You cannot pay me to find where the powers come from due to just how long it is
It's 200+ powers. No matter how it is organized, some reading will always be necessary if you want to take a detailed look at everything. Conciseness isn't a criterion for this category anyway.

Basically: This should be a Best Sourced Profile submission, because anything else makes my head hurt.
As said, in best sourced people will just not like the lack of scans, even if the quotes are easy to find.

Alright, so next Hatou Manabu for best source. That may seems weird at a glance as her page has neither scans nor references linked.
It does, however, have a respect thread linked in the feats sections.
That structure is once again not without reason. Hatou's powers are based on quantum mechanics and hence very hard to understand at times. (other wikis tier her as High 1-C to 1-A due to misunderstanding the power completely...)
Since the scans are hard to understand even knowing the full context, linking scans without that would have been a futile endeavour. They need an explanation.
Hence using a respect blog for all sources was ideal for that case.
The blog handles all explanations in detail, shows scans for everything, gives references for where the scans come from and then explains the reasoning for how her stats and abilities arise from the given information.

So essentially the respect blog is what would be evaluated for sourcing needs and I think it pretty much has everything covered.

Best Sourced profile:

I think we VS Battles Wiki can just adopt Wikipedia's Featured Article (FA) and Good Article (GA) system.

That's basically intended, layout-wise. Together with the summary (which doesn't get to below the image) it builds a nice block of less important information, so that the image doesn't reach into the powers and stats section. That in turn makes the more important powers and stats section look much cleaner.
I'm glad you like it, but the image and contents bar are so big that it immediately makes it jarring the read. This also goes into the issue of having way too many heading tags that bloats the contents bar, but that's later down the line.
Tabbers don't work on mobile and are hence not an ideal solution. Given, sometimes they are the best option. Like when you have a long P&A section with several keys that otherwise is hard to read. For these purposes I think sections are the superior alternative.
Your first point is a non-issue because tabbers also separate information into different blocks on mobile, which is still better than having one long text block that appears on your page, and the fact that majority of VSBW is made for computers, not mobile devices. In the case of this page tabbers are needed to separate the information so that it's easily readable and followable, along with condensing the page length because like another point of mine says, it's a nightmare to scroll through the page.
Why? All of the skills are and should be part of the Notable A/T section.
Doesn't look like it the Skills section is a heading tag while the Notable A/T section is just bolded paragraph. It makes it look jarring.
If you want to go to a section go to the ToC. That sends you directly there. If you don't want to go to a specific point, but just scroll through as you read/skim, endless scrolling work better as you don't have to scroll up and down.
That doesn't help the page being as long as it is, the problem is that the page is so long that finding anything specific in the page requires scrolling all around the page to find it, which makes it jarring. You also can't be suggesting that endless scrolling should be needed to read your page better, that just makes it worse.
There are literally as many as on any other page. Summary, Powers and Stats, Others and References are the only Heading 2 sections. (unless you mean something else with summary)
My mistake, I meant far too many heading tags in general, not just H2. Counting up the amount of headings on this page, there's 15 tags, and not including the normal ones there's 11 extra headings than in normal pages. Not only does this bloat the page, it makes sorting through information a challenge. This could be fixed with tabbers, because even the mobile version would look better with them.
Well, I'm not nominating it for best sourced for a reason. However, I generally disagree with the need for scans here. This is a Web Novel. Each chapter is like 2 pages long and the content is on the internet. It's very easy to find the quotes from the references.
Your not addressing the issue here. The P&A section of formatted horribly and has no scans except for references, which requires the user to look up the web novel chapter, read through it and find the scan themselves, instead of just linking it with some sort of explanation and maybe adding a reference for extra context. This is what pages like The Hunter (Bloodborne) do, and it looks far better visually then what Master has going on. Also, the powers and resistances need better wording in general. P&A sections are a recurring issue in your pages, and once again tabbers would help alleviate this issue.
IIRC that was recommended as best practice for listing references in a past thread, as it clearly shows where the list of Resistances ends. That's why I used it. And the resistances are listed "individually" still. As in, they are all spelled out and unambiguous.
This isn't just listing references, this is listing resistances. This is like putting Powers and Abilities () and then putting all the powers inside the brackets. That may just be better than what is going on here, because at least it would be consistent. Also, the powers section does it the normal way just fine, so why is the resistances section different? Another pet peeve is how they do not actually list the power name, but some buzzword to help describe them (like Control being used for Mind Manipulation and whatever else it is), so it's not unambiguous at all if I have to click the link to find out what some of them even are.
Mind Control and Body Control, as the brackets behind that resistance clarify. A look into the "Resistance & Nullification Skills" section will as first skill also show you a "Control Immunity" skill, which expands on the matter. (along with the rest listed there) Reason for the formulation is that said skill in itself is an equally vague control resistance, which might include various things besides the Mind & Body Control that get explicitely mentioned.
Then list it as Mind Manipulation and Biological Manipulation, instead of listing it as Control and putting (mind and body) after it. It doesn't even have a link to it. And like my next point states, you can't pay me to look through the Skill section to see exactly what you mean. Just list it by it's actual name, it's more clear that way. Even if it's vague, you list it as what it's shown, and maybe make a note that it could include more things.

Here's an example: Mind Manipulation and Biological Manipulation (Via Control). There, it's now very clear what it means, and it also is formatted better.
It's 200+ powers. No matter how it is organized, some reading will always be necessary if you want to take a detailed look at everything. Conciseness isn't a criterion for this category anyway.
The ways it's formatted makes necessary reading far longer, no matter if you want to skim it or not. Conciseness may not be a category, but formatting is, which this page fails at.
As said, in best sourced people will just not like the lack of scans, even if the quotes are easy to find.
Fair.

Basically: I don't believe this should have been a submission in the first place. I won't be responding further because it's not for me to decide if your page is best visually, but I hope you take my points into consideration.

No one, because no ones voting and we dont have enough submission to start anything in the first place. At this pace we are probably doing this as a christmas special lmao

Most Concise -

Quite literally everything on the profile that could possibly require scans have said scans and references as well, the profile is also extremely readable given it's relative small size and the clever usage of bolded abilities to distinguish abilities from hyperlinked explanations. Honestly it's one of the best profiles I've ever made, and that's saying something since.
  1. I'm decently good at making profiles as shown with pages like Morgan Yu and Trigun's Plant Physiology. It's also supported by the fact that other profile creators like @Wrath_Of_Itachi, @KingTempest, @Arcker123 etc believe i make some of the best profiles on the entire site.
  2. I made that shit in an hour or two because i was bored and wanted to do something 🗿.
It's also unironically the best formatted Naruto profile on the site.

Most Concise -

Quite literally everything on the profile that could possibly require scans have said scans and references as well, the profile is also extremely readable given it's relative small size and the clever usage of bolded abilities to distinguish abilities from hyperlinked explanations. Honestly it's one of the best profiles I've ever made, and that's saying something since.
  1. I'm decently good at making profiles as shown with pages like Morgan Yu and Trigun's Plant Physiology. It's also supported by the fact that other profile creators like @Wrath_Of_Itachi, @KingTempest, @Arcker123 etc believe i have/make some of the best profiles on the entire site.
  2. I made that shit in an hour or two because i was bored and wanted to do something 🗿.
It's also unironically the best formatted Naruto profile on the site.
I wonder if i should do that for the bloodborne profiles...

Back