• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
happened in the MCU, which typically only affects a specific part of it and not much else
But that outright doesn't work here. Thanos got the soul stone without Gamora's death, got the time stone somehow and got the power stone without destroying Xandar.

Zola was also alive after WS, something not possible in the main canon.

So there's multiple differences besides Ultron getting Vision, so why can't Captain Marvel also be different like with Bro Thor? She has no evidence of being the same, so you can't call her the same like we can with Strange.

But that outright doesn't work here. Thanos got the soul stone without Gamora's death, got the time stone somehow and got the power stone without destroying Xandar.

Zola was also alive after WS, something not possible in the main canon.

So there's multiple differences besides Ultron getting Vision, so why can't Captain Marvel also be different like with Bro Thor? She has no evidence of being the same, so you can't call her the same like we can with Strange.
Zola being alive is actually because he had a backup in the location the final battle of Civil War takes place in, but because Ultron won the events of that movie never happened.

Captain Marvel still isn't the focus of the episode so assuming that she's somehow different when nothing suggests that she is both times she shows up in the show is unjustified.

This 6-B feat performed by Captain Marvel is no longer deemed an outlier due to the upper limit for pre-Love and Thunder characters being recalced at 12.6 times higher than what it previously was, making it High 6-B.
Henceforth, high tier MCU characters should scale to it.

Now why should we scale canon characters to this feat from What If?
  1. The Carol that performed this feat is identical to her canon self.​
  2. We've already accepted Sorcerer Supreme Strange getting 9-A+ and the protection spell because of his What If counterpart being near identical to him so it's not like we haven't already scaled from What If feats. In fact, this is an even better case because this Captain Marvel has an identical past history up to the point of 2018, so she's even more identical to her canon self than What If Strange.​
Thus, it's fairly reasonable to scale canon characters to this feat.

Those who get affected by this change are
  • Those who are currently 'At least High 6-C' or have a rating related to this scaling chain
  • Hulk (he should not be 104 times weaker than those in this scaling chain, 104 times being the difference between the High 6-C value and the 6-B value)
This makes sense. Haven't gone through the thread but I'm sure someone must have already be saying Carol from What if can't be relative to MCU
Hilarious stuff

For Surtur's feat, shouldn't the kinetic energy be divided by 12? The explosion is omnidirectional
Nah, all debris are being hurled at the same speed here. Same goes for planet busting feats involving high-speed KE. Get the distance traveled from the center point, find the timeframe taken to reach that far, and it's standard KE from there on.

That and Surtur isn't at the center point (Which is a key point in omnidirectional expansions that aren't going haywire with blowing up planets), he's at the far edge where Asgard Palace is located. So most of the force would actually be propelled right behind him unironically.

Last edited:
There are many inconsistencies within What If. Ravager Thanos struggling to hold his own against the black order, Thanos getting the stones in the wrong order, so just because they seem the same does not mean they ARE the same.

So no, I disagree

Captain Marvel still isn't the focus of the episode so assuming that she's somehow different when nothing suggests that she is both times she shows up in the show is unjustified.
The thing is you have to prove they're the same. The universe has differences unrelated to Ultron and for all we know Captain Marvel might also be different.

There's a specific reason why on Strange has been accepted as backwards scaling compatible. Carol doesn't have nearly the same level of evidence he has.

So it is justified because she herself has no justification for proving she's the same person outside of visual similarities.

Last edited:
There are many inconsistencies within What If. Ravager Thanos struggling to hold his own against the black order, Thanos getting the stones in the wrong order, so just because they seem the same does not mean they ARE the same.

So no, I disagree
Ravager Thanos is a really bad example to use in this scenario because he is clearly very different to his main universe counterpart, we the viewers are told that before he could begin his conquest T’Challa stopped him, Nebula talks about how her and Gamora would fight each other as children in the GotG vol. 2 and how every time she would lose Thanos would replace parts of her body with cybernetics, in the What If episode she only has a bit of cybernetics beside her eye. This is clear visual communication that Thanos wasn’t a conqueror for very a long time. Therefore it is reasonable that Thanos would be weaker than he normally is in the main MCU. Even I think Ravager Thanos losing to Cull Obsidian and Proxima Midnight is weird but at least there’s actual plausible explanations for it that are alluded to in the plot of the the episode, this is not at all comparable to Captain Marvels situation since literally nothing suggests that she is different.

The thing is you have to prove they're the same. The universe has differences unrelated to Ultron and for all we know Captain Marvel might also be different.

There's a specific reason why on Strange has been accepted as backwards scaling compatible. Carol doesn't have nearly the same level of evidence he has.

So it is justified because she herself has no justification for proving she's the same person outside of visual similarities.
You don’t need evidence for something that is clearly communicating that a character is the same, the feat she performs isn’t even an outlier and works with the new proposed scaling. If you really want to look into it that deeply in the ultron episode she does the feat in she references the first terminator movie which came out in 1984, she says that she doesn’t think it needs a sequel, which makes sense because she became Captain Marvel in 1989 and was in space until the late movie 1990s when the events of the movie took place, so since she was off Earth from 1989 to the late 90s she wouldn’t know that a terminator sequel exists. Based off this one quip she is literally the same person.

Last edited:
You don’t need evidence for something that is visually communicating that a character is the same, the feat she performs isn’t even an outlier and works with the proposed scaling. If you really want to look into it that deeply in the ultron episode she does the feat in she references the first terminator movie which came out in 1984, she says that she doesn’t think it needs a sequel, which makes sense because she became Captain Marvel in 1989 and was in space until the late movie 1990s when the events of the movie took place. Based off this one quip she is literally the same person.
This makes perfect sense I swear
charlie-day-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia.gif

If What If...? characters directly lined up to the scaling of their main MCU counterparts, then pre-Awakening Thor would be comparable to Captain Marvel (Which doesn't make sense, as even Post-Awakening Thor with Mjolnir and Stormbreaker did far worse against Thanos than she did) and Proxima Midnight would be comparable to Thanos (Thus making basically every character near Thanos-tier). If these two episodes have such massively different scaling, I see no reason why we should use any episode for scaling the main universe.

If What If...? characters directly lined up to the scaling of their main MCU counterparts, then pre-Awakening Thor would be comparable to Captain Marvel (Which doesn't make sense, as even Post-Awakening Thor with Mjolnir and Stormbreaker did far worse against Thanos than she did) and Proxima Midnight would be comparable to Thanos (Thus making basically every character near Thanos-tier). If these two episodes have such massively different scaling, I see no reason why we should use any episode for scaling the main universe.
Already explained why Ravager Thanos has a reasonable explanation for being weaker, In the Thor vs Captain Marvel episode it’s stated more than once that she was holding back and was about to stop doing so before Frigga intervened at the end of the episode.

You don’t need evidence for something that is clearly communicating that a character is the same,
We do until the policy is changed. Canon is a one way street as it is for the comic versions of DC and Marvel until you prove it can work backwards. No one so far has provided any evidence other than she looks the same despite the universes showing differences that have nothing to do with Ultron.
Based off this one quip she is literally the same person.
It doesn't mean she's the same person in terms of having the same power level as her canon counterpart. Her exposure to the Tesseract could be different or her ability to use her powers could be different like with MoM Wanda. Strange Supreme has a vast amount of evidence saying he's 1:1 with Canon Strange barring Christina. What If Carol doesn't have the same level of evidence, so I don't support the backscaling.

Wouldn't the Thanos in that What-If episode be around when GotG Vol. 1 takes place? Even if he hadn't been conquering and such, wouldn't it still be reasonable for him to downscale from mainline MCU Thanos? That feels like kind of a weak argument, imho.

Also, clearly there were other changes, like the Collector somehow having Mjolnir, Hela's helmet, Captain America's shield, etc., despite him having no feats to put him on the level of any of the characters I just listed. Given stuff like this (there's probably more, but I refuse to watch the show after the second episode), I don't think they can scale 1:1 like the Stranges.

Wouldn't the Thanos in that What-If episode be around when GotG Vol. 1 takes place? Even if he hadn't been conquering and such, wouldn't it still be reasonable for him to downscale from mainline MCU Thanos? That feels like kind of a weak argument, imho.

Also, clearly there were other changes, like the Collector somehow having Mjolnir, Hela's helmet, Captain America's shield, etc., despite him having no feats to put him on the level of any of the characters I just listed. Given stuff like this (there's probably more, but I refuse to watch the show after the second episode), I don't think they can scale 1:1 like the Stranges.
Episode takes place in 2008, though none of that matters since Thanos is 1,000 years old in the MCU him having ten years less experience than the one from the main timeline is going to make a massive difference (Nebula is his daughter, so he already conquered her planet and him trying to commit genocide is a referenced event), so your best guess is that Thanos is possibly out of shape from being heroic rather than villainess.

What If...? is jam-packed full of inconsistencies its not even funny (For example, Ego dies in 2014 yet Ultron, who was born in 2015, is able to kill him)

What If...? the show was better?

Honestly, from what I gather, aside for the Strange situation, scaling to mainline MCU counterparts looks like cherrypicking. Carol's OK to scale to her canon counterpart, but Thor and Thanos aren't. That really makes the "one-difference" thing not hold water.

The first calc, the one for Captain Marvel, is kinda of fucky in one part...

When Carol shoves Ultron down the core of earth, the hole made is around the wide of Ultron, you can see his lance for a quick comparison, that is about 2 or more meters in diameter, and through out the sequence both Carol and Ultron are still between the rocks passed by, so the hole couldn't have increased in size.

If you were to scale up the resulting blast based off the width of the hole, it would be like hundreds of meters in diameter, not thousands of kilometers.

And if you were to scale up the hole based off the resultant blast of the calc, it would be much, much more larger, not the size that we see onscreen.

I also have seen some arguments outside of this place that states is not a proper curvature, but more like an horizon arc due to how the blast subtly arcs across an encompassed flatline, but honestly I'm don't know much about that either

Either way, I think the calc needs to be slightly re-adjusted to match the visual.

When Carol shoves Ultron down the core of earth, the hole made is around the wide of Ultron, you can see his lance for a quick comparison, that is about 2 or more meters in diameter, and through out the sequence both Carol and Ultron are still between the rocks passed by, so the hole couldn't have increased in size.

If you were to scale up the resulting blast based off the width of the hole, it would be like hundreds of meters in diameter, not thousands of kilometers.

And if you were to scale up the hole based off the resultant blast of the calc, it would be much, much more larger, not the size that we see onscreen.

I also have seen some arguments outside of this place that states is not a proper curvature, but more like an horizon arc due to how the blast subtly arcs across an encompassed flatline, but honestly I'm don't know much about that either

Either way, I think the calc needs to be slightly re-adjusted to match the visual.
I'll redo the calc right now based on the hole size itself rather than just using curvature scaling and see how that ends up

There's a big problem with this unfortunately.

First off, Ultron is at an angle when slammed through, meaning the actual hole would end up being way narrower and nowhere near his height, making it impossible to properly measure beyond that (Since after the crater there's no more oomph left and you're just pushing down a robot down a hole who has less area than the crater), and second, the width of that hole narrows down the deeper Carol goes which could be wacky viewpoint but either way it's not his full width. Which kinda ***** up any chances of using that width to begin with.

I also have seen some arguments outside of this place that states is not a proper curvature, but more like an horizon arc due to how the blast subtly arcs across an encompassed flatline, but honestly I'm don't know much about that either.
I mean, at the same time, would normal surface level explosion laws even work in a place like the core where there's extreme pressures? Fiction be fiction I guess but still.

Last edited:
Agree: Colonel_Krukov, Sir_Marvulous, XSOULOFCINDERX, Excel616, Lacku, Panache_x, CharlesZaGreat, DuDE01010 (1 staff and 7 members)

Disagree: Qawsedf234, Emirp sumitpo, I'm_Blue_daba_dee_daba_die, ObberGobb, ZoroNotZolo, Coolboy6 (2 staff and 4 members)

Neutral: KLOL506, Aguywhodoesthings, AbaddonTheDisappointment, LordTracer (leaning to disagree), Dalesean027, RoTt35, MARVEL_Future_Fight_Gamer (4 staff and 3 members)

Last edited:
Agree: Colonel_Krukov, Sir_Marvulous, MARVEL_Future_Fight_Gamer, XSOULOFCINDERX, RoTt35, Excel616, Lacku, Panache_x (1 staff and 7 members)

Disagree: Qawsedf234, I'm_Blue_daba_dee_daba_die, ObberGobb, ZoroNotZolo, CharlesZaGreat (1 staff and 4 members)

Neutral: KLOL506, Dalesean027 (1 staff and 1 member)
Looks like we should call more people

I agree with upgrades. What if Cap Marvel was shown identical to her 616 counterpart, unlike other what if characters like Thanos or Thor who were shown to be different.
Why are we assuming she is shown to be identical? We can't just cherry pick when basically everything in What If...? is massively contradictory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back