• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Type 5 Acausality for Oryx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
So, a little while ago, a user asked me about this. I looked through some lore stuff, and he may have a pretty good case for having this.

Let's first paste over the definition of type 5 acausality:

Type 5: Causality Transcendence: Characters with this type of Acausality transcend the normal boundaries of cause and effect, existing outside of the causality of a system. Even interacting with them normally may prove virtually impossible.

Now, lets compare this to some quotes:

...You are no longer bound by causal closure. Your will defeats law. Kill a hundred of your children with a long blade, Auryx, and observe the change in the blade. Observe how the universe shrinks from you in terror.-XVI: The Sword Logic

...Oryx knew that all life could be described as cellular automata, except for that life which understood the Deep or the Sky, and thus escaped causality.- XL: An Emperor For All Outcomes

The deep is the Hive term for the Darkness. Oryx is the most direct link to the Darkness in the entire verse, being able to channel it for his own power. He is an example of "Life that understands the deep", and thus escapes causality, according to this.

Some orders assert that Light and Darkness are not bound by any system of reason or causality.-Bond of Unknowing

"The Light releases us from causality. It smooths the contours of what we can and cannot do."-Creation's Wind

Oryx is not a being of the Light, but this proves that the overarching force of the Light, the antethesis to the Darkness, is able to allow lesser beings to escape causality. Thus, it only seems logical that this privelege would be afforded by the Darkness as well, considering Oryx's status and the other quotes.

...No hypothesis on event mechanism (FLAG ACAUSAL). Bootstrap simulation suggests event is DIRECTED and INIMICABLE (convergent q-Bayes/Monte Carlo probability approaches 1).- Ghost Fragment: Darkness

This is said by Rasputin, a human Warmind. Warminds were ancient AIs constructed for, well, war. Rasputin seems to have better systems of analysis even than the Vex (Who're probably nigh-omniscent as a collective), as he is able to shut the Ghost out from its systems and mess around with it, which the Vex are unable to do without physically corrupting it.

...The Monist Position, or the Deflationary Position, considers the Darkness as a technologically sophisticated force, perhaps a post-Singularity intelligence. Adherents invoke information theory or contend that the universe is a simulation, allowing advanced intelligence to gain weakly acausal powers by bending the rules.-The Darkness

While a thing about The Darkness is that nobody (well, i guess excluding Oryx) really is sure what it is, this is one of the prominent in verse theories, and would prove that beings that are not The Darkness itself are able to escape causality by using The Darkness' power.

...One hypothesis on event mechanism (FLAG ACAUSAL). Possibility of HARD CIVILIZATION KILL EVENT is NONZERO.-Rasputin

So all in all, I think Oryx should have Type 5 Acausality. If we want to be really conservative we can restrict it to his ascendant self I guess.

Hl3 or bust said:
seems good to me, but it seems like he should have it in both keys unless i've missed something
He's more closely linked to the Darkness in ascendant, though I also think it should be able to apply for both.

Well, that's a lot of approval so I'll add it to his file. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back