• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Type 4 Immortality Revision

KingPin0422

Derp Idol
Joke Battles
Retired
Hello everyone.

I have a few complaints about Type 4 Immortality. I don't want to beat around the bush, so let's get straight to the point:

Immortality via godhood, or protection from a deity: A character that was either granted immortality by a god, or is immortal because of its hierarchical position due to godhood, so that its divine immortality is less a power, and more treated as a consequence of its state of being as a deity.

First off: how in the world does being a god make someone immortal? In my opinion, this is a No Limits Fallacy in the same vein that "being metaphysical makes you 1-A" or "existing within a higher-dimensional space makes you higher-dimensional" are No Limits Fallacies. I know these are kind of extreme examples, but they were the best one that came to mind.

Secondly, what about characters who are protected by something that is not divine? Like, say, an object made by an advanced civilization that prevents your death when worn? I'm pretty sure that those exist, and they are clearly not always divine.

Thus, I propose that we change Type 4 to this:

Protective Immortality: A character who is protected by an outside force or object that prevents their death as long as their source of immortality allows it.

Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Your first point: It's only a no limit fallacy when you think they can't be killed by someone stronger then the being who is protecting them.

Being a God doesn't atomaticlly grant you type 4, it's a case by case basis. If I become a good right now I wouldn't get type 4 but if I become a God who is stated that they cannot be be killed normally because of my stats then I would get it.

Your second point: If your not protected by a good/deity but by an object or concept then it's Type 8/Relient Immortality.

Type 4 Isn't that hard for me (but that's just me) to get but if others think it should be revised, I'm fine with it.

Honestly, I'm in the line of thinking with Monarch.

Type 4 should be the new perfect immortality, and Immortality by Godhood shouldn't exist.

Of course, this means massive revisions that I don't know we have the men to spare, as we already have the 9-C revision and.... Something else, I don't remember what.

Can we not shuffle around the immortalities for fun?

Type 4 seems pretty straightforward. A god keeps reviving you. This is different from Type 8 due to requiring input and can usually be overpowered if one is stronger than the god and different from Type 9 due to obvious reasons.

The only thing I would (and do) support is removing Type 4 based on godhood. This is just being stronger.

Saikou is right. If you have protection from a deity and the god keeps you alive, that's type 4. If you are a god, and can just not die because of that because of how afterlife works in the verse, that's type 4. It's simple and needs no changes.

Type 4 based on godhood isn't simply being stronger, not necessarily.

Think about the Greek gods. They can't kill each other. Even when they are stronger

Isn't that due to Abstract Existence?

Because Type 4 by godhood is pretty much the only immortality without no explanation. It's just "immortal", with nothing stating how they can come back or survive deadly wounds.

Then it's really just Type 8 based on Hades. It's not related to godhood, unless every gods can do it.

If your immortality somehow relies on yourself, it's either resurrection or mid-godly regen.

See the problem with Type 4. Most of its application can be covered by other immortalities.

Exactly why I agree with Monarch on this notion:

DMUA said:
Honestly, I'm in the line of thinking with Monarch.
Type 4 should be the new perfect immortality, and Immortality by Godhood shouldn't exist.

Of course, this means massive revisions that I don't know we have the men to spare, as we already have the 9-C revision and.... Something else, I don't remember what.

TheHadouCyberspaceWitch said:
Well, there isn't an immortality via Resurrection
We really need to make that a thing. There are quite a few reincarnators out there.

Doesn't mean we should shove it within Type 4 for no reasons.

I know about protection. I'm talking about godhood.

@DMUA No. We won't rework entire immortalities categories for fun. Type 4 via protection is fine as is.

Type 8 implies that you only need the object to exist in order to reappear. Type 4 requires some direct influence from a god.

To me, it should be replaced with a type of immiortality that consists of something like: the ability to not fie because your existence is required for the satbility of the reality you are withi

Back