• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Triceratops vs Elephant

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So this match... Eh, it's going to be a weird one. So the weight range of both triceratops and elephants are pretty much the same, with Triceratops going from 6 to 10 tonnes with a smaller complete specimen weighing in at 5.4 tonnes whereas elephants go from 5.2 to 6.9 tonnes with the largest individual having been measured at 10.4 tonnes. Assuming typical size ranges would mean the Triceratops would have a noticeable edge in weight (8 tonnes vs 6.05 tonnes) whereas going off the largest individuals would give the elephant a very slight edge (10.4 tonnes vs 10 tonnes).

As for their build... The triceratops has fairly short horns, going about 1 meter, maybe 1.5 meters if infographics are preferable. The tusks of an elephant, on the other hand, can go up to 3.5 meters in length, although I can't exactly find average figures for tusk length. The skull of an elephant is six inches thick in some places and can reduce pressure due to surface area shenanigans. The triceratops... I don't think anyone really measured the thickness of a triceratops skull, though that's likely because fossils are rocks, not bone. It's frill, however, would widen the skull's surface area by quite a bit. Elephants have fairly thin skin for such a large animal, with wildlife charities repeating the ballpark figure of one inch. Triceratops skin isn't something we'll know the thickness of since we only know what it would have looked like from skin impressions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triceratops#Skin ). In which case, more than likely it would feel leathery, but I don't think that's really going to help or harm the creature in any way. It wouldn't be thick enough to keep T. Rex from preying on it, granted, but still.

In regards to intelligence, the elephant is at a clear advantage. Elephants are one of the most intelligent land animals on the planet right now and have exhibited practices similar to those of tribal peoples. Elephant tusks were known to be used for many purposes (see "Why do elephants have ivory tusks" here: https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/what-is-ivory-and-why-does-it-belong-on-elephants ). Triceratops... Eh, they aren't very bright. They are primarily solitary animals based on fossil evidence and it's likely that the species only really used their horns for courtship. This should make it more likely that an elephant would impale a triceratops than a triceratops would impale an elephant.

That being said, both combatants start 20 meters from each other. Everything else is SBA. Here are their profiles:

Triceratops' Profile
Elephant's Profile

Who takes this?

Triceratops: 0
Elephant: 0
Inconclusive: 0

I thought intelligence won’t matter (I can’t think of many complex strategies a lone elephant could pull off on just a triceratops trying to fight it), but I’m curious how self BFR works when it comes to fear. Elephant’s specifically can use their trunks to make a very loud and frightening noise which has scared off many similar animals easily consistently. So if the elephant scares the triceatop would SBA have it come right back, or would it fully flee specifically because the opponent caused it to do so?

Otherwise, I lean a bit to the triceatop because it survived T Rex’s consistently and that overall comes off as saying it has a lot more tankiness and survivability than the elephant, but maybe that actually says more about the T. rex than the other way around.

Back