• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Top 10 Oldest Franchises on the Wiki

anything made this year lol?

Anyways I'm only gonna bother adding to the list stuff that's over the current Top 10, since I feel we have established a good amount of stuff as milestone shit in terms of age.

Flatland came out in 1884 so thats 137 years old.
Also, I don't think I'm gonna add this, solely based on the fact that I don't think this is an actual franchise?

It has a book and multiple movies, does that not count?
Sure, but isn't it just a retelling of the same story? Franchise implies commercial intent, which as far as I'm aware Flatland isn't terribly commercialized

Cthulhu Mythos is on the border of this, since while it was a long-running "series" originally, it's only become a franchise recently, with pieces of media based on the original

Sure, but isn't it just a retelling of the same story? Franchise implies commercial intent, which as far as I'm aware Flatland isn't terribly commercialized

Cthulhu Mythos is on the border of this, since while it was a long-running "series" originally, it's only become a franchise recently, with pieces of media based on the original
I dont really know as ive never watched them, theres two movies just called Flatland and another one thats called Flatland 2 so…

Would Sherlock Holmes count? The first book came out in 1887 that's 134 years ago.
This one I'm also adverse to, since while it is sort of a franchise, the new Sherlock Holmes stuff is legally distinct from the original stuff. I'd consider the original books entirely separate from the new shit due to the family of ACD blocking people from true adaptations.

This is from the Flatland Wikipedia page under adaptations and parodies:

“Numerous imitations or sequels to Flatland have been created. Examples include:

Films and TV

Literature

Books and short stories inspired by Flatlandinclude:[citation needed]

Would Felix the Cat be valid for this list. No Verse page but we have a composite profile.

Akira is 33 and Dragon Ball is 35 (Pokemon is surprisingly young at 25). Fist of the North Star is just as old as Dragon Ball. YYH is 29

Last edited:
Akira is 33 and Dragon Ball is 35 (Pokemon is surprisingly young at 25). Fist of the North Star is just as old as Dragon Ball. YYH is 29
peasant anime is below good verses, as is right and just

Gamer Rage GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Saint Seiya is just as old as DB, Ranma is 32 and Hajime No Ippo be up there at 32 as well. Mega Man and SF are 34.

Good point.
  • Nasuverse: 23 years
  • One Piece: 24 years
  • Image Comics: 29 years
  • World of Darkness: 30 years
  • The Simpsons: 31 years
  • Warhammer: 40,000: 34 years
  • Super Mario: 38 years
Dragon Ball came out in 1984, The Legend of Zelda is one year after Mario so it should be on there too. I believe Dragon Quest has some pages here as well, so it would be the same as Zelda, and Final Fantasy is one year after that. So those should all be added. Also, if I remember correctly, Gundam is pretty old as well.

You just mad Astro Boy whooping your favorite verses ass in age.
My favorite verse hasn't been mentioned here, anime peasant. It's only 38 years old.

Anyways as I said, I'm not gonna bother listing stuff outside of the Top 10 anymore, so it's only worth bringing up shit 67 years and above.

Just inserting Transformers here for being since 1984 and Tintin has been around since 1930. 37 years and 91 years

Good point.
  • Nasuverse: 23 years
  • One Piece: 24 years
  • Image Comics: 29 years
  • World of Darkness: 30 years
  • The Simpsons: 31 years
  • Warhammer: 40,000: 34 years
  • Super Mario: 38 years
  • Dungeons and Dragons: 47 years
  • Kamen Rider: 50 years
  • Scooby-Doo: 52 years
  • Ultraman: 55 years
  • Dune: 56 years
  • G.I. Joe: 57 years
  • Godzilla: 67 years (This is the bottom of the Top 10 at time of writing)
  • Astro Boy: 70 years
  • Narnia: 71 years
  • Tom and Jerry: 81 years
  • Marvel Comics: 82 years
  • Lord of the Rings: 84 years
  • DC Comics: 87 years
  • Tintin: 91 years
  • Looney Tunes: 91 years
  • Cthulhu Mythos: 93 years
  • Disney: 97 years
First fiction of Nasuverse is Mahoyo from 1996 so should be 25 years old not 23

Does that even have pages on the wiki?

Fair enough. Added.

13.77 billion years and counting.

This one I'm also adverse to, since while it is sort of a franchise, the new Sherlock Holmes stuff is legally distinct from the original stuff. I'd consider the original books entirely separate from the new shit due to the family of ACD blocking people from true adaptations.
There was actually a small amount of franchising back when ACD was alive, with a play that was primarily written by William Gillette.
Several modern Sherlock Holmes works have also been licensed by the Conan Doyle estate, and as such could be considered the same franchise.

Back