• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be social influencing, which is an exaggerated form of intimidation

Fear manipulation is when you have an actual superpower that generates fear

Big Mom doesn't have fear manipulation yet her people are scared of her but she shouldnt have that because she doesnt have fear control powers. Andy is right it should be some sort of social influencing

Shig shows his haxs by using a skyscraper as an example to make her scared and then tries to kill her with range with his feet

Overwriting empathetic manipulation doesn't make something fear manipulation, social influencing is charisma or intimidation kicked up to eleven, and if that's how the effect takes place then that's how the effect takes place, regardless of its potency

Fear Inducement. The most simple form of Fear Manipulation. This is simply the ability to make the target feel frightened in some form or another.

Does that not count for Shigaraki?

If we take that at face value, then tearing off someone's head near a passerby would be fear manipulation

The fact that social influencing exists now means there should be a distinction between scaring someone by being intimidating and scaring someone by directly manipulating their mind or body. It's a matter of method and Shigaraki's case is definitely the former situation

I'd say how can he scare people by looking, but I guess that does makes sense.

What about AFO, does he keep his fear manipulation? He gave Izuku and the other visions of death with his presence alone.

@Andytrenom I don't think social influencing should have the power to cancel the effect of a supernatural ability.

Also, even when Shigaraki killed hundreds of M.L.A.'s people and destroyed a large part of their city, they were still willing to fight with him, so it's not like they were afraid of him because of his actions.

That's weird, when discussing social influencing we were attempting to make it such that both persuasion and intimidation would be included

It either wasn't or someone messed up, either way the page makes no mention of intimidation or making someone freeze up in fear with a glance.

That should be spit up into two types if that's the case.

But did what Shigaraki do counts as that? He didn't say anything he just looked at them and they froze up in fear. If they were scared by him destroying the city they wouldn't have approached him in the first place. Heck he was killing them by the dozen and none of the froze up then.

Yet he makes them freeze up even when their under a supernatural power. Incite would be considered empathetic manipulation, and he can remove that effect by looking. Does that really count for Social Influencing?

I won't fight for this since I do see your point, I'm just unsure. Either way the pages needs to be changed before anything else. Fear Manpulation page doesn't say it's limited to supernatural powers and Social Infuencing is just Charisma.

Also I shouldn't keep derailing, I apologize for that.

What I had in mind when giving my opinion on social influencing definitely included it. I was think of History's Strongest Disciple masters who can literally defeat people by giving them a glance and other situations of a characters having a frightening atmosphere around him, usually portrayed in the form of a black aura, that makes even strangers utterly terrified

Overwriting empathic manipulation just means his intimidation is that good, nothing states social manipulation cannot be as strong as full blown superpower, once again, the difference is how the effect is achieved, not to what degree

Social Influencing is a terrible name for that, that makes it sound like social manipulation. Which doesn't include making people feel fear by not even looking or saying anything to them.

Either way the pages need to be changed first.

Let's not derail anymore.

Grace is over and I've added this to both profiles, this thread can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back