• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

This is what happens when you let people do too much in an RP

• Wail of the Banshee: Kills all living creatures within hearing distance that can hear. -> Rose isn't living
  • Power Word: Kill: A single word slays a single creature. -> sounds like more death hax but I get the feeling it's not.
  • Greater Mage Armor: Creates a powerful forcefield around Vaerun, conforming to his body -> death bubble + sheer AP can bypass
  • Symbol of Pain: All who witness this symbol feel crippling pai. -> resists pain
  • Reorder Reality: Allows Vaerun to briefly rewrite reality itself, making events more favorable. -> uhhhhhhhhh probability hax? Or just straight reality warping?
  • Time Stop: Self explanatory -> what can he do during it
  • Maze: Traps the target in an extradimensional maze that nullifies their abilities -> No counters if it's thought based
  • Damnation: Sends the target to the layers of Hell, wherein they must survive the Devil armies to escape -> if it's thought based I have no counter to being sent there, but depending on how powerful devil armies are and what they resist I guess she might be ok
  • Gate: Creates passage between two planes of existence for some time, summoning the denizens of that plane to the gate -> What sorts of denizens
  • Dimension Door: Opens a portal to another location within sight, allowing Vaerun travel or casting spells around forcefields. -> ok
  • Wall of Force: Creates a massive wall of pure energy. -> AP / dura bypass
  • Imprisonment: Seals the target permanently within the center of the Earth -> ow, but she can probably dig out.
  • Dominate: Allows the user to have total permanent control over a given target. -> resists mind hax
  • Sphere of Annihilation: Utterly destroys whatever it touches, spreading its matter across the void. Wounds from this cannot be regenerated by normal means. -> she'll be doing her best not to touch any scary looking orbs. Can probably block with shadows.
  • Shadow Mask: Allows total control over undead of lesser intelligence- while they remain sentient, as it is not mind-affecting, their bodies must follow Vaerun's will. -> she's not of lesser intelligence and she resists mind hax
  • Gem of Seeing: Fitted into a monocle for quick use, it grants Vaerun the ability to see through illusions and lies he would not otherwise see through. It reveals all. -> does invisibility count as illusions?
  • Cloak of the Ethereal: The cloak allows at-will shifting to the Ethereal Plane, granting Vaerun a huge mobility advantage by phasing in and out of this reality. -> Uh, if he can do it all the time she probably can't bypass unless ethereal plane is just short hand for soul / mind layer of reality.
  • Shortsword: Formerly a simple well-crafted blade, the sword now has nearly all enhancements on it possible within the D&D setting- notably the Bane of Humanoids and Banishment abilities. -> I don't know what all of those enchantments are, but she'll be doing her best not to get hit by a sword.
  • Ring of Mind Shielding: Vaerun's mind is guarded by a ring, blocking access to telepaths and psions alike. -> she has 6 billion people's worth of mind hax with her mind hax worth a damn.
  • Wand of Resurrection: Aside from allowing Vaerun the ability to resurrect fallen allies, the wand grants Vaerun the ability to cast spells at a much higher level than previously. -> ok
  • Mantle of Giant's Strength: The mantle grants Vaerun a strength score much higher than what is normal, possessing the strength of the giants themselves. -> ok
  • Gloves of Speed: These amp Vaerun's speed unbelievably, becoming several times faster. -> ok
  • Psicrystal: This psicrystal floats alongside Vaerun, granting him stored abilities to pull from and the ability to amp his spells to become more powerful. Additionally, the crystal takes the abilities of other psions to amp Vaerun even further. -> Rose is more mage than psion I think

Ok, how trigger happy is he with the underlined abilities?

Also is Sphere of Annihilation EE or matter hax of some kind? Rose resists 2-A EE and gets stronger and infinite speed if you hit her with EE

WOO

Alright first off I should note he has literally hundreds of spells, several of which he invented himself (Slow the Years being a notable example)

His most common hax to abuse are Power Word Kill, Wail of the Banshee, Domination, Time Stop, Reorder Reality (normally in response to something bad happening, think of it as an "ohshit moment" thing), and Shadowjump, which basically allows him instant teleportation through shadows that he can detect.

Well, to start off, not knowing all that much of Vaerun

DND Resists basically forking everything

And I do not exaggerate

This is an incomplete list

Monarch Laciel said:
Also is Sphere of Annihilation EE or matter hax of some kind? Rose resists 2-A EE and gets stronger and infinite speed if you hit her with EE
Sort of EE? More like... EE/BFR. Basically the thing is a gate to a void outside of reality which people have tried to wank to 1-A but I disagree with so... I dunno what tier that'd be. But basically the void sucks you in. The Sphere, though, is not an attack of Vaerun's, it actually is something like an ally, a summon, a sentient sphere that is under his control.

What does Rose start off with?

Oh. Devil armies are... pretty strong? The strongest of the pre-Archdevils in verse get to 6-B but those are IMMENSELY rare, beings like Big Money Gripp. You're pretty much buggered if you meet an Archdevil, as they range from 2-C to 2-A.

DMUA said:
Well, to start off, not knowing all that much of Vaerun
DND Resists basically forking everything

And I do not exaggerate

This is an incomplete list
Dear god.

Make him roll a d20 for this then

One spell that Vaerun also has, I forgot all about it

It generates what one could call a copy of the target to fight the target. The only issue is it is weaker than the target and thus isn't a one-and-done thing, and Vaerun generally saves it for obvious big-bads (Dracolisk, Gorsh, etc).

The duplicate is formed of shadow but is only "80% real"- sometimes attacks go through them, but they only possess 80% of the stuff of the original target. The spell was like "Simulacrum" if you wanna look into it.

Monarch Laciel said:
  • Gem of Seeing: Fitted into a monocle for quick use, it grants Vaerun the ability to see through illusions and lies he would not otherwise see through. It reveals all.
Can this see through invisibility?

Yes. If an enemy is invisible he can just whip out the Invisibility Purge spell. But yeah, the Gem of Seeing pierces invisibility.

So

Should I vote for Vaerun or...?

If Rose doesn't neg his scarier stuff then

Vaerun probably just double teams with Sphere of Annihilation and uses death hax

She tends to teleport behind people and skewer them with a thousand shadow spears then rip them apart. She's invisible when she does it, but that won't matter here. What's his counter to that?

She also tends to summon a shadow clone of her own, so they can deal with Varune's and the sphere if she needs to. She can repeatedly resummon it too if the sphere destroys it.

Also what time is it under SBA?

His counter is saying a word. That's what Power Word Kill is. He says the word and the target is dead. Granted, that's only like a 50/50 that he leads with that. Basically it goes like this.

• If the target is suitably intimidating looking (based on Rose's profile, this may or may not be the case), Vaerun time stops pretty much instantly for what would equate to a few minutes relevant to himself, buffs himself, and preps a spell or two to go off the second the timestop ends, normally PWK or some other incap spell.
  • If the target does not fit the above criteria, mindhax or PWK is generally what he uses to instantly win. If one fails, he reverts to the next, and if both fail, see above.
Obviously these aren't his only two options (his sheer number of spells afford him an absurd amount of options) but those are what he normally leads with. I don't run the character so I'm basing this off of what I have seen from playing with him.

And... SBA, Vaerun is strongest at night, so its night for him.

ALSO you asked "what sorts of denizens" for gate. While he would rarely use that in a 1v1 (preferring it for crowd control), if the targets do not seem to be powered by negative energy or be generally undead, the Plane of Shadow is his choice, allowing the Shadows from there basically rip apart any stats the local living once had.

If they DO seem like the undead type, he generally just Ethereals, starts trouble with the nearest creatures, and has them come to the Prime Material. Generally this amounts to Githyanki whose only notable abilities are resisting magic and disrupting mental abilities.

Monarch Laciel said:
She tends to teleport behind people and skewer them with a thousand shadow spears then rip them apart. She's invisible when she does it, but that won't matter here. What's his counter to that?
High Regen

That and

redirecting teleportation and

instant time stop

Her shadow walking was unaffected by a guy who could redirect interdimensional teleportation.

High regen and time stop is a bit more of a problem.

So

Talked to Monarch briefly

Since Vaerun's deathhax can work on the undead

Vaerun speaks a word and she drops dead. More dead, I guess.

So my vote is for Vaerun.

Now, better question

... Is this actually fair as per Rose's side

... I might have overcorrected with this guy kek

I mean

In theory Rose can just

AP smack him

But speaking is faster than moving.

Country level AP isn't anywhere near Atomization of an 7-A or a High 7-A from my understanding

Especially if it's something as precise as a punch

Actually, doing a rough calc, applying Atomization values to a ningen, to properly atomize one with 7-A dura, you'd need to be...

1.5743048 Zettatons, Small Planet Level

Rough calc but you can get the idea that, you need an absolutely gigantic AP gap to really get past High

uh

first of all it doesn't work like that kek

second of all High regen takes time. Like twelve hours.

Oh it does?

Ok

Well she drastically out APs him, so even resistance to shadows can only go so far, so I guess she teleports behind him, tears him to many many pieces with shadows, then eats his soul.

Resistance isn't based on AP. Vaerun resists being interacted with by shadows, and only has to speak. She could feasibly AP stomp him, but probably not before he says a single word.

Mr. Bambu said:
first of all it doesn't work like that kek

second of all High regen takes time. Like twelve hours.
I know but this is a general idea of the sort of range that Atomization takes

24 hours is Incap time so he would still be in the game

Also, my bad, Vaerun would have Mid-High, got the two mixed up. He got Matter Haxed and regened awhile later, for reference.

How badly?

Was it only Cellular Destruction instead of Vaporization or Atomization?

24 hours is technically it but

Rose could basically set stuff up with those twelve hours

Don't get me wrong, I do think Vaerun wins if Rose doesn't resist death hax aside from being dead, but it isn't like she's helpless

These shadows are physically tangible, and they're a lot better than that shadow bind spell you linked. Also they can also mess up the mind and soul, so if they go through him via him just not interacting with them that's even worse as now they're messing with his soul and mind. Which needs to be resisted by having a "physically" durable mind / soul, because it's not based on a number of minds/souls or something, it's based on physically grabbing their soul "data" and messing it up

Also seeing as it's dark, the shadows don't need to come from her, she can spontaneously summon a shadow spear through him from a a millimetre away from his skin, so she can get off shadows before he has time to speak.

His resistance is vastly superior to City haxing Nilbog so I think his mind is quite durable, and he can take several forms of EE and Soul Manipulation

Maybe not enough for scale though

Oh. He regenned from Disintegration, which turns you to dust. Hence Mid-High.

Also, again, Vaerun literally only needs to say a word at Rose. I'm not saying Rose couldn't beat Vaerun, just that in character Vaerun starts with PWK which Rose apparently doesn't resist aside from being dead, which PWK works on.

Additionally, one should note that in the spells I linked the shadow was physically interacting with the target. They could still resist it.

Ok, but she just needs to think and there's a thousand shadow spears impaling every inch of his body from every angle.

Monarch Laciel said:
Ok, but she just needs to think and there's a thousand shadow spears impaling every inch of his body from every angle.
See the edited bit of my comment.

Mr. Bambu said:
Additionally, one should note that in the spells I linked the shadow was physically interacting with the target. They could still resist it.
Ok, but her shadows are like a hundred times stronger than him, infused with more magical power, and would thus be logically hard to resist.

And as I said, if he does resist them physically intereacting with him, they slide through him and now his soul and mind have a thousand holes in them.

Resistance isn't based on AP. This is a fact.

He also negs Soulhax and Mindhax. At this tier, he is approaching the level of the Elder Brains, who are... we'll call them impressive.

Also wait her abilities are magic? If so magic is nulled when it hits Vaerun via Spell Resistance.

And before you say "well her being a 6-B her magic is logically superior", aside from that not being the case, he has resisted 6-B magic before.

Her necromancy shadows are magic.

Most of her other stuff isn't.

Also how good is the resistance, because again, she significantly out strips him in power for everything except his prep stuff.

And how good are Elder Brains? Because as I said, typical "quantity" based mind hax resistance isn't enough. She can physically interact with your mind and soul, so your mind and soul need to resist being physically attacked through some kind of durability. It's like cutting someone's brain in half. It doesn't matter if they resist mind hax if you cut out their amygdala.

Back