• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Third Grade Super Saiyan Multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do a scaling thread for Toei later, at the very least for the manga

50% SSJ2 Gohan > Super Grade 3 Cell > Perfect Cell >= MSSJ Gohan as far as the Manga is concerned

20x SSJ should be good enough for SSJ2

Also Gohan says Goku is counting on him to snap and go Beserk. Which would mean that the power Gohan has without rage isn’t enough to beat Cell.

We do a scaling thread for Toei later, at the very least for the manga

50% SSJ2 Gohan > Super Grade 3 Cell > Perfect Cell >= MSSJ Gohan as far as the Manga is concerned

20x SSJ should be good enough for SSJ2

Also Gohan says Goku is counting on him to snap and go Beserk. Which would mean that the power Gohan has without rage isn’t enough to beat Cell.
it is not 20x for ssj2, but for ssj2 gohan, he was also amped with rage power iirc, so he is not much of a good base for every ssj2

Null already pointed out in a previous thread that Gohan's transformation into a Super Saiyan 2 was the pinnacle of his history of rage outbursts. There was no additional rage boost after that

First and foremost, I apologize if this post comes across as angry or vitriolic. It probably is, because I'm currently battling an infection, and my sinuses are killing me, but I don't mean anything by it.

Anywho...
Gohan was clearly enraged lol, that is evident because of the nature of his attitude when fighting, so are you saying rage boost don't make you stronger while in the transformation? But only acts as a trigger for it?
For the umpteenth time, yes. Anger is the source of Super Saiyan 2's power for Gohan, but nothing ever suggests that Gohan was being propped up the entire time by a rage boost. Throughout the battle, Gohan proved himself to be level-headed, plagued only by an underlying arrogance and sadistic, quiet wrath. Dialogue from Goku and Gohan in the Buu Saga later confirms that anger is the catalyst and driving force behind Super Saiyan 2, but Gohan never experienced an "How dare you touch my Bulma?!" power-up. Is this out of the way?
No, I'm just using the logic that less than 50% of Super Saiyan 2 is superior to Grade 3
From the Multipliers page:
Multipliers come from direct statements instead of being reasoned from something else. That means, for example, that if a verse has powerlevels or statistics, the doubling of a statistic or power level should not be concluded to correspond to the power of the character doubling, unless it is clearly specified to work that way.
Official guide states Gohan was stronger and holding back immensely.
Captura-de-tela-2023-05-21-053929.png

"Gohan is facing Cell's attacks like they're nothing. His showcase of power surprises everyone"

Captura-de-tela-2023-05-21-053946.png

"During the fight, Gohan realizes his strength surpassed Cell's, so he tried to convince Cell to stop fighting, but..."
THE SCENE FROM THE MANGA THAT THIS IS DERIVED FROM EXPLICITLY STATES THAT THE STRENGTH GOHAN HAS, SURPASSING CELL'S, IS THE STRENGTH HE DRAWS FROM HIS HIDDEN POTENTIAL. Y'KNOW, WHEN HE GETS ANGRY. Y'KNOW, SUPER SAIYAN 2.
I actually made a discussion topic over on the Dragon Ball Wiki about this, but to sum it up, I'm just going to send the entire thing.
The Wiki considers Cell one of the many users of Super Saiyan 2, as Super Perfect Cell, due to the Viz translation of its explaining of its revival being taken at face value. First and foremost...

From Herm's translation:
"There’s a small clump inside my head…This makes up my nucleus…As long as that clump isn’t destroyed, my body can continue regenerating…When I self-destructed, my nucleus fortunately remained uninjured…Quite frankly, I hadn’t calculated on being able to regenerate…I was lucky…And even more happily, my body regenerated as my perfect form, even without No.18…And it wasn’t merely my perfect form: I had vastly powered up like Son Gohan…This was probably done by the Saiyan cells, which greatly increase in power when they are saved from the brink of death…"
From the original Japanese text:
"さらにうれしいことにそのカラダは18号抜きでも完全体として再生していた…………ただの完全体ではない孫悟飯のようにはるかにパワーアップしていたのだ…これはおそらく生死の狭間から救われたとき大きく力を上げるというサイヤ人の細胞がそうさせたのだろう…"
A rough translation:
"What's even more exciting is that this body had regenerated into its perfect even without No. 18... Not just a perfect body, but a much more powerful one, like Son Gohan's... This is probably due to the Saiyan cells, greatly increasing in strength when restored from the brink of death..."

The key takeaway from all three of these texts is "I had vastly powered up like Son Gohan", "Not just a perfect body, but a much more powerful one, like Son Gohan's", and パワーアップ.

The kanji パワーアップ roughly translates into "making more powerful", as in, when combined with the other translations, Cell was, evidently, only comparing its explosive growth in strength to the spontaneous power-up Gohan received when he became a Super Saiyan 2.

Nothing in the original text suggests that Cell and Gohan both received virtually identical power-ups, and nothing suggests that Cell achieved Super Saiyan 2. Not only would this be illogical, as Cell's power-up was derived from Saiyan Power, being revived from the brink of death which only results in an exponential boost in combat ability, but this would also break the scaling chain, as Cell in its normal state was far too powerful for Gohan to make even a dent in its power.

Moreover, virtually every databook in existence only ever mentions that Cell had revived into its perfect form, made more powerful due to the reactionary effects of its Saiyan cells, rather than being the result of unlocking a newfound transformation.

It's rather short, sorry.

First and foremost, I apologize if this post comes across as angry or vitriolic. It probably is, because I'm currently battling an infection, and my sinuses are killing me, but I don't mean anything by it.

Anywho...
For the umpteenth time, yes. Anger is the source of Super Saiyan 2's power for Gohan, but nothing ever suggests that Gohan was being propped up the entire time by a rage boost. Throughout the battle, Gohan proved himself to be level-headed, plagued only by an underlying arrogance and sadistic, quiet wrath. Dialogue from Goku and Gohan in the Buu Saga later confirms that anger is the catalyst and driving force behind Super Saiyan 2, but Gohan never experienced an "How dare you touch my Bulma?!" power-up. Is this out of the way?
THE SCENE FROM THE MANGA THAT THIS IS DERIVED FROM EXPLICITLY STATES THAT THE STRENGTH GOHAN HAS, SURPASSING CELL'S, IS THE STRENGTH HE DRAWS FROM HIS HIDDEN POTENTIAL. Y'KNOW, WHEN HE GETS ANGRY. Y'KNOW, SUPER SAIYAN 2.
I actually made a discussion topic over on the Dragon Ball Wiki about this, but to sum it up, I'm just going to send the entire thing.

makes sense

Anywho...

The fact I was the only one yelled at.

I would prefer having the original Japanese transcript but if the Spanish and French translations came to the same conclusion then it seems reasonable to agree. So right now I'm going to say:
  • Agree with Grade 3 being 10x Grade 2 (At least 500x base)
  • Agree with Super Saiyan 2 scaling above Grade 3 (SS2 being 2x Grade 3 or 20x Grade 2 is okay for now)
  • Disagree with Grade 4 scaling above Grade 3 (I view it as just drainless Grade 1 and Goku's base power being dramatically higher)

I agree with everything. Altho it'd be nice to settle once and for all if grade 4 is >/< grade 3, I wanna know more than just hearing people's opinions on it. Get some actual scans.

In toeiverse it seems to be at least, well another thing that makes toei stronger then main cannon, who would have thought?

Grade 4 is just 50x except with better stamina, Goku being stronger than previous grades can be attributed entirely to higher base power.

If La Revista and the Anime Comic Guide that describes the different forms in order of superiority ( A Guide used heavily to support Cell’s Solar System statement/ The one that calls SSJ2 Grade 5) are valid sources for Toei, then I can see a 10x SSJ for Grade 4. If that were the case then SSJ2 would be a 10x Grade 4’s 10x due to scaling to Cell’s Grade 3.

Both guides state Grade 4 is as strong or stronger than Grade 3 but are anime specific.

MSSJ Gohan (10x SSJ1) < Perfect Cell < Cell’s Grade 3 (10x PC) < SP Cell < 50% SSJ2 Gohan < SSJ2 Gohan

Giving SSJ2 a 100x Multiplier on SSJ or 5000x Base form.

pretty insane

I’ll stick with Null flowers main point of demonstrating 10x amp for grade three and SS2 superiority to it.

All further extrapolation seems like shit that’s better addressed in different threads.
MSS1 vs SS1 multiplier debacle has very little to do with the OP anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back